Database for Location of Former Depots and Towers ?

Tue Sep 19 17:41:39 EDT 2023

Great idea!  Very few people know that there was a tower at Burkeville.  I think it was built as part of the Burkeville-Pamplin beltline circa 1916.  There may have been one also at Pamplin? Sometime before the 1930’s (this is just a guess on my part), the N&W economized by moving the interlocking to the station and having an operator on duty 7-24 to sell tickets, work the passenger trains that stopped there, and operate the interlocking.  My father worked the 12-8 AM shift during WW2; he worked from mid 1942 to late 1945 or early 1946 without a day off.  He had to be there sick or not.  The tower remained unused until it was partially demolished by a westbound derailment in the 1930’s.  Again this time frame is a guess on my part.  I have pictures of that derailment that a family member took.  The tower was removed after that; the concrete base with a room below remains.  The interlocking plant along with the 24 hour operator coverage was removed in December 1958 when CTC was completed on the beltline.

Bill Mason

William M (Bill) Mason

wmmason at verizon.net