LC1 and 2

Sun Oct 22 10:02:04 EDT 2023

Mike: I am very confident that you are correct about the LC-1 and LC-2, and
the VGN Squareheads that were very similar to the LC-2.  Both of the N&W
electric classes were jackshaft electrics, with the jackshaft in between
the driver sets on the LC-1, and at the end on the LC-2.

If I had to speculate, the LC-1, because the two axles on each "truck" were
further apart because of the jackshaft in between the axles, it was felt
that the resultant wheelbase might be too long for some of the curves if
the trucks weren't articulated.  The LC-2 (and the squarehead)rigid
wheelbases were shorter and didn't need the additional complication of
articulation. This is speculation, and there may have been factors such as
the motor mounting on the jackshafts that were more relevant.

Frank Bongiovanni