Rock Depot (?) - Photo of the Grand Union Terminal Station

Thu Dec 21 17:43:59 EST 2023

 I forgot to sign.
Tim Hensley

 I agree with whoever  didn’t sign
Larry Evans
Sent from my iPhone

 No, it's not Hanging Rock Ohio, which was a Scioto Valley design with a cupola tower over the telegraph bay.  If memory serves me right, the Rock station was parallel to the VGN (out ff the picture to the left) and just outside the mouth of a tunnel.  It was of Standard 2nd class P&F design. I'd say the oversized "box" is an early phone box.

 Bro. Yoszip Lambert found this photo of the depot in a place called Rock... a place of which I had never heard

The 1910 Topo Map shows Rock as being about 7 miles due north of Bluefield, W.Va. But the 1942 N&W List of Officers, Agents, Stations, Water Tanks, Stock Pens and Slop Chutes shows Rock as a non-agency, the governing agency for which was Montcalm. (Which very likely means the depot structure shown here had been moved, or to use the trendy word, "repurposed.") The 1942 List also shows Rock as located on the Widemouth Branch of the Bluestone Extension.

My burning question pertains to that monster, roofed vertical box to the left of the door at which the men are standing, the likes of which I have never before seen. What could have been the purpose of that thing? It is too big for a Bill Box or a T-Box.

This joint looks a little to grand for a country depot in a coal-holler, so my Guess #2 is that the building is actually at Hanging Rock, Ohio, on the Tadpole Fast Line Division about 20 miles east of Ports'muff and the word "Hanging" just does not show in the photograph.  We need one of the Old Wise Men to stagger forth from his cave, and speak...

-- abram burnett