Current 611 whistle?

Fri Apr 19 15:58:47 EDT 2024

Well this was certainly an interesting time to catch up on my emails.
I don't have any information to add regarding what whistle N&W chose
to use on the class Js or what whistles have been used on 611 during
her excursion careers. I do have some comments on the replies.
First, I chose to reply to the below response because I think it is an
example of how a reply should be handled. It covers all of the facts,
addresses the questions, and does so in a succinct and respectful
manner. Several other replies on this topic read as if the author
really wanted to add "you dumb***" to what he wrote, which is a big
turn off. Unless policies have changed, I know from personal
experience that emails are screened, or at least sometimes screened
before being sent out to the list. Perhaps replies that contain
personal attacks and dismissive tones should be rejected, regardless
of what facts may be presented.
As for claims that a particular topic has been discussed ad nauseam, I
challenge anyone on this list to fully recite every topic that has
ever been discussed and all of its replies. Correct me if I'm wrong
but there is not a complete archive of every message ever sent on the
list that is publicly available and searchable, thus it makes sense
that topics would be revisited.
Finally, specifically to Mr. Rineair, your question was not confusing
nor unwarranted, nor is there any issue with researching a machine or
a model thereof and not knowing the names of every individual person
involved with it.
Marty Flick

Sent: Monday April 15 2024 8:25:18AM
Subject: RE: Current 611 whistle?

 Stephen,
 The whistle on the engine when it runs is a Hancock 3 chime, so yes,
that's the whistle that the N&W ran on the J's and K's in passenger
service.
 What Larry is saying is that the wasn't a specific 'J whistle' when
it comes to what was used. It was an off-the-shelf Hancock. As he
mentioned, the N&W did work on the valves and bowls of the whistle but
the bell is Hancock.
 Larry also correctly touched on the ownership of the whistle. In the
first year, the whistle used was owned by another member of the crew
and had a Union Pacific history.
 When Preston Claytor was still involved in the project, we would have
used his whistle which is the whistle it had on it back in the 80s and
90s. When the decision was made to put a historically in it accurate
and silly sticker on the side of the cab, he decided not to be
involved anymore and took the whistle with him. That's the same one
that has recently been run on the US sugar #148, which is a phenomenal
operation that should be on your bucket list by the way.
 The museum actually does not even own a whistlefor the engine and are
dependent upon borrowing one from other people to use.
  Thank you,
Will Sadler
  -------- Original message -------- From: NW Mailing List  Date:
4/15/24 8:01 AM (GMT-05:00) To: 'NW Mailing List'  Subject: RE:
Current 611 whistle?

	Again there is no such thing as a J class whistle . It’s a Hancock
and yes the current whistle would be correct no difference in the
sound from a 50s version as long as it was mount on 611 down in the
hole!

	Larry Evans

BEHALF OF NW Mailing List
SENT: Sunday, April 14, 2024 9:54 PM
TO: NW Mailing List
SUBJECT: RE: Current 611 whistle?

	Larry:

	There is a reason why this question has come up. Scale Trains is
producing the HO N&W J in 5 versions. ESU Lok Sound has recorded the
sounds from the current N&W 611 as of late that will be used on the
model and they want to make sure that the current whistle is a J
whistle. Therefore it is important to know that the 50’s version
will have the correct sounds. So is the current whistle a correct
whistle or not?

	Stephen

	NW Mailing List
SENT: Sunday, April 14, 2024 8:09 PM
TO: NW Mailing List
SUBJECT: Re: Current 611 whistle?

	There is no such thing as a J class whistle. They are all standard
three chime Hancocks used on the J class E2 K2 K2a classes UP big boys
challengers many other roads used them . I think the current whistle
actually came from the UP and is owned by Scott Lindsay. The N&W
modified the bowls and valves in 1953 to make them a little heavier
duty that is the only difference. As far as Scott needing to weigh In
here, don’t you think he’s a little tired of answering this
question. It comes up on the Internet once or twice a month and it’s
been answered on this list dozens of times.

	Larry Evans

	Sent from my iPhone

	On Apr 14, 2024, at 3:22 PM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List