Campbell Avenue East Leg of Wye at Roanoke: When Built ?

Wed Jul 17 11:00:28 EDT 2024

No answers, but more questions.

If memory serves, there were two turntables at the Roanoke Shops.  One between the Passenger station and the shops (your fenced off turntable), and another between the two large shop buildings.  The one between the buildings had a roundhouse.  Is the turntable between the buildings still in existence and functional?  Is it now in private hands (Freightcar America)?

The current main line “detours” around the Roanoke Shops.  Did the V&T mainline originally  go “straight” through the area where the shops are located?  Was the mainline moved when the shops were built?

Toney Minter