H-6, H-8 and R4-RL Brake Valves on Engines

Tue Jul 30 12:21:10 EDT 2024

Abe,While the 8-ET automatic brake did not have a "pressure maintaining" feature per se, according to talks with my former engineer, C.I. Robbins, he (and others) discovered that if the brake handle was placed in just the right spot they could get it to maintain the brakepipe pressure.Jimmy LisleSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Date: 7/29/24  9:23 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: N&W Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Cc: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Subject: H-6, H-8 and R4-RL Brake Valves on Engines Mr. King is probably the only man on this List who can answer these two questions...1. Did not the N&W add the Pressure Maintaining feature to its schedule H-8 brake equipment on passenger engines, when pressure Maintaining came out ? Or did they just immediately convert some steam engines to the 24 brake, in order to get Pressure Maintaining?2. Were any of the first few N&W Diesels delivered with the old H-8 brake valves? I have seen lots of H-8 valves on the Diesel engines of other roads, but cannot recall clearly about the early N&W RS-3s and GP-7s.Thanks.-- abram burnettTurnips Reimagined !________________________________________NW-Mailing-List at nwhs.orgTo change your subscription go tohttp://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-mailing-listBrowse the NW-Mailing-List archives athttp://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/