Class M Whistles & Headlight Placement

Sat Aug 17 09:13:49 EDT 2024

Hello list,

I have a few questions about the Class M 4-8-0's based on both visual and
audible observations of archival material.

1. I noticed that Strasburg RR #475 had its headlight moved to the center
of the smokebox front several years ago, yet prior to that change she had
her headlight mounted more of less above the smokebox front. I've seen some
16mm movie film of an M with a centered headlight, yet I've also seen
photographs of M locomotives with the top-mounted headlight. Did the
positioning vary between branchlines? Additionally, is it known why
Strasburg re-positioned the headlight on 475?

2. I've heard a few different whistles on M class locomotives. #382 sounds
like it had a 3-chime of some sort. Was this whistle unique to 382 or did
other M class locos have it? Also, when 475 was first restored by
Strasburg, it sounded like she had a higher pitched version of the standard
N&W single note whistle. I don't know if that was the whistle she wore
during regular service or if it was applied during restoration. Now it
seems 475 carries the lower pitched N&W hooter.

If anyone can provide insight to these questions, it'd be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Eli Santin