Class M Whistles & Headlight Placement

Sun Aug 18 10:47:34 EDT 2024

 All,

Class Ms had the standard N&W 'hooter" freight whistle with the 12-inch bell.  That was the standard passenger whistle until the Js appear with the three-chime, "steamboat" quill in 1941.  Prior to that, N&W used a more mournful, eight-inch bell and some of the old switchers/yard engines had even shorter than that.

Tim Hensley

  The centering of headlights was a late steam feature. Most were done in the late '40's and into the '50's. Some M's got it. Many did not. My memory is that 475 got the centered headlight, but lost it when it was backdated in 1957 for historic anniversary celebrations. After retirement, it went through several owners, so I do not know which way the headlight was placed when Strasburg got it. But Strasburg has placed it both ways at one time or another. Anyway, centered is a correct position. So is top mounted. I can't say about the whistles.
Jim Nichols

 Hello list,
I have a few questions about the Class M 4-8-0's based on both visual and audible observations of archival material.
1. I noticed that Strasburg RR #475 had its headlight moved to the center of the smokebox front several years ago, yet prior to that change she had her headlight mounted more of less above the smokebox front. I've seen some 16mm movie film of an M with a centered headlight, yet I've also seen photographs of M locomotives with the top-mounted headlight. Did the positioning vary between branchlines? Additionally, is it known why Strasburg re-positioned the headlight on 475?
2. I've heard a few different whistles on M class locomotives. #382 sounds like it had a 3-chime of some sort. Was this whistle unique to 382 or did other M class locos have it? Also, when 475 was first restored by Strasburg, it sounded like she had a higher pitched version of the standard N&W single note whistle. I don't know if that was the whistle she wore during regular service or if it was applied during restoration. Now it seems 475 carries the lower pitched N&W hooter.
If anyone can provide insight to these questions, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!