[EXTERNAL] Re: Switch Problem

Thu Aug 22 19:44:29 EDT 2024

Hi Roger.  Yes, it is a Proto Y3.  It runs fine everywhere on my layout except that one switch.

Jack Fletcher
________________________________
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2024 1:05 PM
To: NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Switch Problem

Is this a Proto Y-3 or something else?

Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works

Hi Jack
Always start with the simplest things first. Get an NMRA gauge and check the wheels on the loco. Then check the gauge of the switch.

 You didn’t say what number frog the switch is. Is it possible the swing on the trailing truck doesn’t have enough clearance?

Tom Lewis

On my HO layout, where I model steam of the 40s and 50s, I have 36 switches.  Half of my layout is one huge yard, modeled after the N&W Lamberts Point Coal Yard in Norfolk, VA.  I have one switch that always gives me trouble.  Whenever my 2-8-8-2 goes over this switch, the trailing wheels derail.  I have spent hours trying to solve the problem.  Of all my switches, this is the only one that gives me problems.  The trouble switch looks, physically, like all of my other switches.  I don’t see any difference.  All of my switches are Atlas switches, all controlled by Caboose Industries manual throws.  Any suggestions as to what to look for to solve this problem before I go to the trouble of pulling out this switch, throw it away, and replace it with a new switch?  Thanks for your comments.
Jack Fletcher