Southern Michigan RR aquired ex-N&W caboose 518021

Fri Aug 30 21:39:26 EDT 2024

 Southern Michigan Railroad in Clinton, Michigan  New Caboose We have had another caboose donated to us! Norfolk and Western 518021 is a steel frame/wood caboose built in 1914 by the Roanoke East end shops. This is a CF class caboose which was the first class of 8 wheeled cabs the NW had. It was donated by NW in the 1970s to a United Way fundraiser where it was auctioned off and made its way to a farm near Hillsdale, before being donated to our organization by Mr. Grover Johnson. This is believed to be the oldest NW caboose left in existence. The CF class construction was from 1914-1924 and comprised of 381 cabs. Given the steel/wood construction and lack of steps (it basically has a ladder on each corner) we have elected to display this statically on a track parallel with the main at the Pallox site for use as a small museum and other events. The former owners of the property had it sheeted with steel siding, so it looks a bit funny, but we already have some interest in woodworking to restore it to a more original appearance. Thank you to Mr. Grover for his generous donation of this caboose!  Kenneth Borg