Vestibules on passenger cars

Tue Sep 3 17:01:24 EDT 2024

 Diner orientation varied, as most diners were not turned between eastbound and westbound assignments. The exception was the Powhatan Arrow, where the entire train got turned at terminals (for a time). On the Pocahontas and Cavalier, it usually was kitchen first eastbound. On the Shenandoah, it was kitchen first southbound. It also related to the relation of the diner kitchen to the Roanoke commissary, which is why mainline trains generally ran with the kitchen side of the car on the north side, so they could load directly into the kitchen.
Jim Nichols