groups

Fri Sep 6 11:07:00 EDT 2024

Jim I would class myself as layout.John Musgrove

Sent from AOL on Android

It has occurred to me that one way of grouping modelers is bythe fidelity/price of model that they are interested in.

 One group might bemore interested in building fleets of cars to fill the yards on their layoutsand may be willing to trade off some level of detail that may not be readily noticeablefrom arm’s length or further, for affordability.  According to what I have seen recently theprices of such models range from the low $20, where some assembly is requiredand decoration may be less than perfect, to the latest releases from the majorplayers like Walthers that are RTR and beautifully decorated with prices up toaround $50.

Another group is looking for a modeling challenge and/or acontest-level model.  Manufacturers suchas Westerfield, F&C and the new 3D printers like Plate C produce this typeof model which normally requires several hours of modeling time tocomplete.  By the time you purchaseappropriate trucks, couplers, paint, decals etc. for these kits, you arelooking at $70 or more but when you finally look at that finished car in allits glory, the feeling of pride in accomplishment is second to none.

Many of us, I for one, fall into both groups.  I am finishing up a Plate C, G-12 (videocoming soon) that I will bring to the convention next year, however given the numberof hours I have put in, I won’t be building another.  So, if I were to decide I wanted severalG-12s for my layout I would need to look elsewhere.

I would like to hear from each and every one of you as towhether you consider yourself to be in the “layout” group, the “contest” groupor “both”.  This should help give me somedirection for future projects for the society model committee.

Thank you in advance for your feedback/help,

Jim Cochran