Norfolk: Carpenter Map of Railroads in 1946

Wed Sep 18 00:10:33 EDT 2024

Is there a missing attachment?

Carl Barna
Emmaus, PA
________________________________
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2024 3:19 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: Norfolk: Carpenter Map of Railroads in 1946

I, for one,would very much appreciate seeing the west end. Thank you so much. Bob Cook, Chesapeake VA

On 9/17/2024 11:56 AM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List wrote:
Of late I have been working on a list of Virginian RR Telegraph Calls.  The two ends of that railroad, the coal fields and Norfolk, are enigmas wrapped inside black holes and viewed in a coal bin at Midnight, for all save those who have spent time there.  So, when lost in the Norfolk Quagmire, I had to pull out Richard C. Carpenter's work, A Railroad Atlas of the United States in 1946 (Johns Hopkins University press, Baltimore, 2003.)

Knowing there are other lost souls wandering in the swamps of Sewells and Lamberts Points, I scanned the image, edited a few tweeks, and attach it herewith.   May it help others as much as it has helped me.

I would be remiss if I did not call to memory the Friend and Benefactor by whose generosity I have this book, Frederick L. Malan, now of of Blessed Memory.  Fred was Conrail's Tariff and Rate guru, and had learned those mysteries on the Illinois Central Railroad.  He was a brilliant man of truly global interests, and on my thrice-yearly trips to corporate headquarters in Philadelphia, I always scheduled some time to visit with Fred.  The Carpenter Atlas volumes were somewhat expensive when published, and knowing I was raising three kids, Fred had a copy sent to me direct from the publisher, for which I have always been grateful.  After he retired, Fred had me to him home in Philadelphia once.  The reciprocity came on 1998, when, after he was retired, Fred wanted a Searchlight Signal.  He got one from Belt Line Junction in Reading, during the memorably August when we rebuilt that interlocking, and my indebtedness to him was thusly (partially) discharged.

If there is favorable outcry from the Virginian Brethren, perhaps I can also scan the pages mapping the mysterious and octopus-like west end of our old friend, the Virginian.

--  abram burnett
Haulin'  Turnips on the Virginian !
 .