Norfolk: Carpenter Map of Railroads in 1946 - COLEMAN PLACE - MR. BUNDY

Tue Sep 17 22:12:17 EDT 2024

MR. BUNDY WROTE:  There were two interlockings on Virginian's Sewell's Point line that were staffed by one Norfolk Southern dispatcher at Coleman Place ("CO") and one operator-leverman at Tidewater ("BO"). I worked at and held "BO". -- Harry Bundy <<

HARRY:

So, if I understand correctly, at least one of the Operator's jobs at "BO" Tidewater belonged to the [old original] Norfolk Southern men, and all the jobs at CO Coleman Place belonged to [old original] Norfolk Southern RR Train Dispatchers. This probably reflects the situaiton that the NS was the "second railroad to arrive," and was therefore obligated to build/staff the interlockings.

I am very interested in the NS keeping a Train Dispatcher at Coleman Place. Did he have charge of the Main Track territory just around Norfolk, or did he also have some of the Main Line going down into North Carolina?  Did he issue Train orders for his territory ?

And, for a bonus question, how late in time was the [old original] Norfolk Southern using the Telegraph for running trains?

-- abram burnett
Zero-Day Turnips