NORFOLK - Two More Questions for Mr. Bundy

Wed Sep 25 16:03:50 EDT 2024

 Abe - regarding yardmasters controlling main track movements -- Yardmasters could designate to trains which yard track to set off or pick up cars, but could not govern main track movements.  On Norfolk Terminal, there may have been two exceptions.  As reminded by Dr. Blackstock -- there was a "hold-out" signal at Yadkin (east end of the Dismal Swamp). If there were no empty tracks for inbound coal, the train would be held there until track(s) were made empty.  Then, a yardmaster would notify Bridge #7 to clear the signal allowing the eastbound to proceed.  The other exception MAY have been at Lamberts Point yard.  The yardmaster would notify a switch-tender which turnouts (manually thrown) to line up for an arriving train.  In the 14-miles from Yadkin, the main lines were designated Automatic Block Signal (ABS) territory.  However, it came close to being Centralized Traffic Control territory. There were two interlocked bridges (staffed by bridge tenders ?)  and at least 4 interlockings -- just east of Bridge 7, the Belt Line had a "push the button" interlocking on their South Branch.  Trains going to the branch would stop clear of U. S. 460, press the button that notified Bridge 7 they were ready to cross.  Next was South Norfolk staffed by a VGN operator who controlled crossings of VGN-N&W main lines.  Next was N. S. Junction that handled N&W's crossing with NS Railway's Berkley Branch (N&PBL had trackage rights). Next was Bridge No.5.  Can't say whether or not Bridge 5 controlled the next interlocking, but  control of the junction between the N&W main line (to Norfolk Terminal Station) and the Lamberts Point Branch MAY be designated in N&W's Norfolk Div. Time Table # 7 (eff 11/09/1947) as Lovitt Avenue.  I did not find Lovitt Avenue on Mapquest.

Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com