Norfolk Map, 1909

Sat Oct 5 11:03:58 EDT 2024

 Lovett Avenue -  near the junction of N&W's main line (to Terminal Station) and the Lamberts Point Branch.  Also the crossing of NSRR's Beach Division with both N&W lines.  Remember that Terminal Station accounting required that each railroad would share expenses based on cars that crossed the property line.  That came to include the Virginian, which had trackage rights over the NSRR from Tidewater to the property line. Geographically south of Lovett Ave. was the so-called "coach yard" and freight station.  Cars from arriving trains were serviced there (and N&W trains arriving had to wait for the Terminal switcher to remove cars to the "coach yard" before the locomotive could back out and head to Lamberts Pt. for service).  Over the years, this may have changed, but were bridge tenders allowed to make interlocking line-ups ? Seems that Lovett Avenue was almost "next door" to Bridge 5.https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3884n.ct009372/?r=-0.16,0.083,1.174,0.452,0

The Virginian had not yet come and added its complexity to the town, but here are still many excellent and intriguing details on this map:

1. A rendering of the depot trackage and the really large N&W yard immediately east there of.

2. A very small yard immediately west of the union depot which appears to be marked "Virginian R.Y. Yards," although the lettering is on a fold in the map and part of the lettering may be missing.

3. A turntable and what appears to be a small engine servicing facility in the southeast quadrant of the intersection of Brambleton and Clay Avenues, about 4500 feet east-northeast of the Union Depot.

4. About 3000 feet west of the Union Depot, on the north bank of the Elizabeth River, wharfage of the C&O RR, SAL RR, the New York Philadelphia & Norfolk RR (a PRR property,) and even an "ACL Depot" (most likely operated by literage or ferry.) This area now seems to be designated as the Town Point neighborhood.

5. The Lovett Avenue, for which Mr. Bundy was searching, shows up immediately above the big red numeral "2" on the map (northeast of the Union Depot area.) Most of Lovett Ave has now been obliterated, and only about 420 feet of the street exist today. These coordinates will take you to the middle of what is left of Lovett Ave: 36.843596 , -76.27435

My question about Lovett Avenue is this: What railroad facility existed there? What railroads junctioned or crossed here? I recall seeing, about 50 years ago, in the files of the Union Switch & Signal Company, a photograph of a small Style 3 interlocking machine they had built for Lovett Avenue, but I had no idea where that place was located. Somewhere I have a print of that negative, and will look for it.

Let's go to Norfolk !

-- abram burnett
Try Our Turnip Tonic Therapy - It Grows Hair !
.