Stock Cars

Wed Oct 9 16:14:06 EDT 2024

Were these single or double-deck cars. The western railroads used double-deck cars for small animals like sheep.

Carl Barna
Emmaus, PA
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2024 11:33 AM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Stock Cars

I was interested in the milk/dairy and stock car discussion that I saw from September. I've compiled some statistics on stock cars and stock shipments using the N&W annual reports.

The number of stock cars on the roster peaked in 1913-1914 with 2595. The number of stock cars slowly declined after that but then held fairly steady in the 650-700 range from the early 40s to the early 50s. The number of stock cars then fell again, with a rebound due to the mergers of the 1960s. The decline then began again, and by 1978 there were only 3 stock cars on the roster.  There were still 3 cars on the roster in 1980. The number of cars was so few in the late 70s to 1980 period that they don't show up on the attached graph.

The tons of stock shipped peaked in 1918, with 111,146 tons. The tons shipped then declined into the 1930s but held fairly steady in the 30s and 40s with as much as 71,865 tons shipped in 1946. The last year I have data for shows 10,915 tons of stock shipped in 1963.

Shawn Harley