"M" Boiler prototype

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jan 19 16:38:35 EST 2006

> Have lathe and milling machine, can make scale master

> send info and HO scale drawing

> Harry B. Lyon

Harry,

The info I have is just from the N&W Handbook, but I need the "real" numbers
to provide YOU with that info.

Do you have access to a brass M2? If so can you just copy the basic boiler
courses, and bands and I'll add the domes and castable details on to it, and
make a few master casts of the boiler for duplicates. Then the process is
to devise the mechanics and then make a second piece that goes into the
boiler casting to make the space for motor & gearbox etc.

The frame would still be the MDC 2-8-0 old timer and YES with the smaller
than scale drivers, but that does increase tractive effort. Finding 30"
spoked wheels for the engine truck (Bowser/CalScale USED to make 'em)will be
more difficult.

After making the boiler and adding on the firebox, then the molds can be
perfected so we can produce a bunch for all the fleet requirements that the
1920's - 1950 modelers might have. The MDC has similar drivers which Bowser
usually doesn't.

Mark Lindsey