Barbeque

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Feb 8 08:16:32 EST 2006

This car was rostered as NW 6 listed as a poling car, a term held over
from the steam era when such things were done. It stayed on the roster
for many years as the only example. I am not just when it left the
roster, sometime in the mid to late 1980s, I believe. It was used in
its last years as a rider car for the Roanoke Shop switcher crew as
they had a lot of getting on and off to handle cars. It was much easier
to get on and off of this car than a unit, and cheaper to have than a
caboose. The baby trainmaster hood was added sometime in the 1960s, I
believe, and in its last years, someone had decorated the top of the
hood with 2 wooden hobby horses. You could frequently see this car
stored east of the car shops along Campbell Avenue, especially
weekends, when the crew was off.

I don't think I have ever seen photos of any of NW 1-5, and certainly
never saw them myself

Ken Miller