Ash Hoists

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Apr 29 02:42:17 EDT 2006

There was also one at Portsmouth. The photo of the large engine terminal included in your post is the Portsmouth Terminal.
Very nice job of modeling the facility.
Jim Hall

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Jim. From the information I have, there were only
two modern ash handling plants built before the switch to diesel
locomotives. One at Williamson terminal and the other was at the Schaffer
Terminal. They were a take off from ash handling plants for large industrial
coal burning furnaces.
I learned about the modern ash handling plant from the book, "Steam
Locomotive Coaling Stations and Diesel Locomotive Fueling Facilities"
Compiled by Thomas W. Dixon, Jr., TLC Publishing
http://www.tlcrailroadbooks.com/cgi-bin/tlcstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=x22

It was only a couple photos and some text, so I started to do more research.
I have to say I got very lucky.

Another source is the April 1947 issue of Trains Magazine.
http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=I&MAG=TRN&MO=4&YR=1947&output=3&sort=A

Also I was able to find a copy of Vern French's book "The Norfolk & Western
Railway: Williamson Terminal - 1953"
http://index.mrmag.com/tm.exe?opt=I&MAG=BOOK&MO=2&YR=1992&output=3

I searched the VA Tech site, before the change, and found a few other photos
I didn't see before. If a detail is in the photo, it's on the model, even if
it's hidden. What I couldn't see in the photos or find in writen text, I had
to guess at. Modelers license, if you will. Then I found a few more photos
after I started construction. Oh well, some of the guess work wasn't too far
off. I still don't know what the long objects were that run parallel to the
outer rails between pits, so I'm leaving them out for now. I still have
other details, like the light poles and piping, to add when the model is
placed on the layout.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/finltpole01.jpg

Basically It's scratch built from Evergreen and Plastruct styrene strips,
sheets and tubing. The brick pump house walls are cut down DPM plain two
story wall modules. The silo was kit-bashed from a Model Power Grain Silo.
Handrail are brass wire.
I know the model isn't an exact in every detail, but I feel it represents
the prototype idea.

Presently I'm working on building a two bay N&W "Lubeitorium". It's like a
Quickie Lube for locos.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/nw193.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/nw842.jpg

When I started the project, I only found photos of the two bay facility. It
was outfitted with banks of florescent lights. I was stuck for quite a while
trying to figure out how to make HO scale florescent lights. But I think I
was able to make a reasonable facsimile of them.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148725/FLORESCENTLAMP1.jpg

There's more on how I made them on Model Railroader Forum
http://www.trains.com/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58247

I started more than a year ago here.
http://www.trains.com/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33172

NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org