Class J's - trackworthiness?

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Oct 2 05:59:29 EDT 2006

Did everyone go and read all this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_%26_Western_611

I question some of this information. Who sent it to wikipedia? Was it someone on this list?
Most of it is correct, but for one thing, does the locomotive not belong to the City of Roanoke? The article claims it was donated to the museum in 1960.
To quote the wikipedia information:
"Due to the efforts of several men, including famous photographer O. Winston Link, 611 was saved. In 1960, she was donated to the Roanoke Rail Museum in Roanoke, where she sat dormant for two decades."

I thought it belonged to the N&W until after it was restored and returned to Roanoke under its own power.

Ben Blevins

nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org wrote:
I'll take a shot at your question. I read that N & W main line trackage was re-gauged after the steam era ended. This would have reduced the spread on curves, no longer needed to suit the effective wheelbase of main line steam, such as the J. The accidents cited in the story took place in the 80's and 90's; suggesting that the J's might not have been 'picky'; but that they were operating under 'borderline' conditions which did not exist 40 years earlier.

Jerry Crosson
NW-Modeling-List at nwhs.org
To change your subscription go to