N&W maroon passenger cars in 1949

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Dec 1 11:59:04 EST 2009

In any era, all N&W passenger cars were painted the same color. Contrary to
some reports, the "old red" was metallic also. However, you are not going to
have to worry about that in a model paint. The so called "new red", which
first appeared on the passenger GP9's appears to have had more metallic
particles in it than before. Plus, the elimination of lead from the paint
created a situation where subsequent repaintings were with the so called
"new red." For modeling purposes, I think you can ignore the difference. I
suggest you find a shade that looks good to you and paint all N&W cars with
it. If you want an "out-of-the-bottle" color, I suggest you consider
Floquil's Wisconsin Central Maroon. It is a little darker than I like, but
as close as you will find with a pre-mixed color. Jim Nichols