N&W F Horns

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Feb 17 11:50:35 EST 2011

My 3 Intermountain N&W F-7As'units showed up at my hobby shop Tuesday. All 3 (and the 4th unit that I didn't get) have the upper gray and lower blue paint and I confirmed through pictures that these engines were painted in that manner (other Canadian GMD F-7A were solid blue....and the difference most likely related to the Wabash paint scheme that was on the unit at the time the Wabash was leased by the N&W). The models came with the standard 2 single chime horns, one facing forward and one facing back, on the units roof above the cab. This is how the units were likely delivered from GMD - (over time and by the time they became N&W the horn arrangement varied from unit to unit). They are really nice models and run beautifully. (N&W ran them in sets of 3 between Windsor and Ft Erie/Bison Yard in Buffalo). There are several omissions or anomalies with the models but the only really upsetting issue to me with the models relates to lettering. On all N&W F-7A's "Norfolk and Western" was centered on the lower side panels below the grill and between the ladders leading up the side access doors (cab and engine compartment). A N&W ½ Moon herald was located at the same elevation as "Norfolk and Western" to the rear of the locomotive behind the engine compartment access ladder on both sides. On the models, on the fireman's side of the locomotive (the right side looking at the front of the locomotive) the lettering and herald are located correctly . On the engineer's side (left looking at the front of the locomotive) the lettering "Norfolk and Western" is correctly located but the ½ moon harold is located to the front of the locomotive, on the side panel in front of the ladder to the cab access door. This is wrong. I'll never understand these mistakes are made considering all the information and time that exists prior to a model being manufactured. Despite this they are still nice models.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=50515 This shows shots of 3725.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locolist.aspx?id=NW&mid=136 This shows several different units.

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA living in Russellville, AR