Transition from "In <location name>" from "at <location name>

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue May 30 14:26:40 EDT 2023

My father has a fat library of literature and magazines from bygone days. I’ve noticed that railroaders at that time typically used “at” to reference cities / towns the railroad passed through - as in this example:

The eastbound crossing frog at Chillicothe with the Chillicothe Street Railway has been taken out and straight rails put in.

If I wrote that sentence today, I would say “in Chillicothe”.

When / why did that change? Or is that type of structure still used today on the railroads?

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US