NS 12 Indiana

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Nov 12 14:14:34 EST 2023

Hi Jim,

I think N&W reworked the car in the early 1990s to add more windows to the blank side. The car was originally an N&W D1 diner car, which explains why there are no doors and steps into the car. I don’t know when N&W converted it from a diner to a sleeper/dorm(?) car.

I made a model of this car in the mid-1980’s using a Rivarossi coach as the core and I reworked the car sides. I’ve attached photos of my model. Had I known its original configuration, I might have used a Rivarossi diner car, which would have resolved the windows on one side of the car. You can notice the side with 3 windows closely matches the NS12 windows, once you plug the rest. That leaves what to do with the other side that was all blank, but now has more windows added to it.

I’d love to see what your friend does with his effort to make this car. It would be great for any model of the NW/NS business train.

Phil Miller