[412-public-news] Two swim parties next week -- and one finishes with a 1-mile road race, Liberty Mile

Mark Rauterkus mark.rauterkus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 19:34:55 EDT 2013

Hi Friends,

I'm asking you to consider running a 1-mile road race in the evening,
Friday, August 9, 2013, --- the Liberty Mile.

http://LibertyMile.org

I'll be there with a hundred or so from our Swim & Water Polo Camp that has
been part of Pittsburgh Public Schools Summer Dreamers.

But, beyond the one mile road race, we'll be hosting two pool events too,
and all are invited.

Thursday, we'll gather from 10 am to 2 pm (or longer for public swim) at
the Ammon Rec Center Pool, a Citiparks, outdoor, pool at Bedford Ave and
Memory Lane in the Hill District. We can play some water polo and a new
game we've been playing with our kids that use a foam water disk, sorta
like Ultimate Frisbee in the pool.

Friday, before we run the Liberty Mile, our race starts at 7 pm, we'll
gather to swim and get our gear at the Citiparks pool on the lower North
Side, Sue Murray. It is over the 9th Street Bridge across the river from
CAPA. Pool opens at 1 pm. We'll swim for the day. Some can go Kayak too, if
a parent signs the permission waiver in person, about 3 pm. Then we'll have
a light meal in town at Subway, then get warmed up for the race at 6:30.
The race this year is a "U" shape, up Penn, turn around at the bus
terminal, then down Liberty Ave to the finish that is sorta near Market
Square.

If you can join us, drop in.

If you want to offer some support with the race day, I'd love to have your
company too. Let me know.

Throughout the summer we've been building an "A for Athlete" wiki book to
work on our literacy as well.

Check it out if you have some time.

http://aforathlete.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Book_page

--
Ta.

Mark Rauterkus       Mark.Rauterkus at gmail.com
PPS Summer Dreamers' Swim and Water Polo Camp Head Coach
Pittsburgh Combined Water Polo Team

http://Rauterkus.blogspot.com
http://FixPA.wikia.com
http://CLOH.wikia.com