[412-public-news] I hear it is the weekend. Re-creation is coming. You're invited too.

Mark Rauterkus mark.rauterkus at gmail.com
Sat May 2 19:54:00 EDT 2020

Hi Fellow Travelers on this journey through a pandemic!

Now for something different -- including a bunch of good news!

1. My older son, Erik, now from NYC but recently home again at our home in
Pittsburgh's South Side. has been working hard to launch a business,
https://July.ac. They're bringing products to the marketplace and got great
media coverage this week.

1a)
https://design-milk.com/july-modernizes-the-design-and-installation-of-window-air-conditioners/

1b) https://gearpatrol.com/2020/04/28/july-air-conditioner/

1c)
https://www.lonny.com/Meet+The+First+Window+A-C+We're+Actually+Excited+About
Best yet.

1d) Watching for Ad Week, a business publication, soon.

= = =

2. My younger son, Grant, is hunkered down in New Orleans. He'll graduate
from Tulane Univ in a less than two weeks and then attend Medical School
there in August. Whew!

= = =

3. One of Catherine's stories is going to be included again on a national,
PBS radio show, The Moth, on Mothers' Day weekend. More importantly, she
and her crew in Audiology have been changing laws with telehealth, guiding
the profession and leading graduation ceremonies at Pitt.

Cheers to all who graduate in 2020! Wow!

= = =

4. Sadly, the swim pool on the Northside at The Pittsburgh Project won't
open in 2020. However, looking forward, it would be great if funding from
taxpayers via the park's referendum could go to great use with programming
in that park in 2021. The nonprofit took over that pool and part of Fowler
Park about 15 years ago. The city would have closed it, as it did with many
other neighborhood pools. Now, Citiparks can step up and take it back
again.

5. We got a contract from Pittsburgh Public Schools to lead some
programming for 2020 Summer Dreamers for SKWIM & Water Polo Camp. The
summer camp for city school students is going to happen in a fully virtual
setting. I'm so excited -- really -- to lead swimming classes from my
computer screen with nothing but dry students. I've got a vision. I'm
expecting lots of fun literacy and aquatic lessons. But, I could really use
some helpers. If you have some time to spare, I am going to build
programming for an hour a day for 27 days for a virtual swim camp. Are you
with me?

Link above is a new email list just opened to work on this effort. I'd love
to have your volunteer effort and record your water stories as part of the
build out of a fun camp for the 4th and 5th grade students.

6. One more worry swirls -- the city's summer youth job program. More help
desired. I'm offering to help lead a summer work experience -- fully
virtual -- for up to 200 kids, especially athletes. We need to get our
youth entering the knowledge economy. Plus, we need to get them developing
with better understandings of wellness, fitness and sports. Let's code
about sports in 2020 -- and then inject some exercise into their summers --
with social distance guidelines in place.

This year would be a great time to plan for 2021's all city sports camp --
as an outcome project of the jobs experience in the months to come in 2020.
My letter to the mayor: https://rauterkus.com/youth-jobs-2020/  It is a
long-shot, but I'm meeting with Majestic Lane of the mayor's office on
Monday afternoon.

7. More good news. I have a new gig! I'm helping the International Swim
Coaches Association as its webmaster. https://SwimISCA.org

Stay healthy. Stay connected. And, Erik would want us all to stay cool too!

Thanks for the interest and replies.

--
Ta.

Mark Rauterkus       Mark at Rauterkus.com
Webmaster, International Swim Coaches Association
Executive Director of SKWIM USA, a 501(c)(3)
The Pittsburgh Project - swim coach and head lifeguard
Coach at The Ellis School for Swimming, T&F and Triathlon
Pittsburgh Combined Water Polo Team & Renegades (Masters)

412 298 3432 = cell