BurmaNet News: March 18 2003

editor at burmanet.org editor at burmanet.org
Tue Mar 18 15:50:24 EST 2003

March 18 2003 Issue #2197

INSIDE BURMA

DVB: Interview with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi Part 1
DVB: Interview with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi Part 2
AFP: UN rights envoy to arrive in Myanmar Wednesday
Irrawaddy: Junta bans historian’s articles
IMNA: USDA train villagers to lie to international institutions
Wired: Internet censorship and Burma: Does the end justify the means?

GUNS

Kao Wao: Mon State at war

REGIONAL

Irrawaddy: Burmese Muslim refugees fear war in Iraq
Voice of Vietnam: Vietnamese leader welcomes ‘fruitful’ visit, bids
Burmese leader farewell
VNA: Vietnam, Burmese leaders affirm ties in joint communiqué
AFP: Trade to top agenda on Bangladesh PM’s landmark visit to Myanmar
Independent: Khaleda leaves for Myanmar tomorrow

INSIDE BURMA

Democratic Voice of Burma March 14 2003

Interview with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi – Part I

The DVB managed to interview the Burmese democratic leader, Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi today. We asked her about the political stalemate, international
blockades and the deteriorating standard of living of Burmese people.
DVB’s Htet Aung Kyaw interviewed her:

Q: Mr Pinheiro is visiting Burma soon. What do you have to say about human
rights situation in Burma?

A: I have to say that in the current situation in Burma, there is no
guarantee of basic human rights.

Q: We have heard that Mr Pinheiro [UN special human rights envoy to Burma]
is going to Burma soon and he is also meeting you. Are you expecting
anything particular from his trip?

A: We will only know when we talk to Mr Pinheiro. I don’t think that his
single trip like this will improve human rights situation in Burma.

Q: Mr Pinheiro is also going to handle the political prisoners issue in
this trip. As far as we know, they haven’t released political prisoners
since November. What do you have to say about this?

A: We have been saying it since the beginning that the speed of the
releases of political prisoners is very slow. We have been saying it for
ages, for years in fact - to release all political prisoners
unconditionally.

Q: Now, they not only haven’t released political prisoners, but also
arresting more political activists including U Sai Myo Lwin and NLD
members. What do you have to comment on that?

A: It is also connected to political issues because they are accused of
plotting to distribute leaflets, as far as I understand. In fact,
according to basic democratic human rights, everyone has to have the right
to distribute leaflets on their political thoughts and aims freely if they
are not intending to hurt other people.

Q: People are saying that the arrests and the slowness of the release of
political prisoners are causing frictions between you [the NLD] and the
military government. What do you have to say about it?

A: I don’t think so. You can have a dialogue whenever you like and under
any circumstance if you have the desire to do so. We have never said that
we would discuss [with the authorities] only when all political prisoners
are released. We have never said that we will not have a dialogue if they
arrest more political activists either. The reason is the arrests and
re-arrests of political prisoners are political problems. We want the
dialogue to discuss these problems.

Q: In connection with the dialogue, I want to go on to the matter relating
to Mr. Razali. There is news that he wants to come to Burma but [he
postponed the trip because] the situation between you and the military
government is not good. How can you explain the situation between you and
the military government?

A: As far as we understand, the postponement of Mr Razali’s trip is to do
with the request of the authorities here due to the inconveniences they
are facing. Why they are feeling so, it is nothing to do with us.

Q; We have heard you say recently that the confidence building stage has
ended between the current government and you. What is the current
situation?

A: If I have to pick up the subject of the condition of the confidence
building, both sides have agreed when they released me [from house arrest]
that confidence building stage has ended and we should go on to an
advanced level. But we [the NLD] believe that we haven’t been able to go
further to another stage. The confidence building stage should not take a
long time. If I have to say with the help of an example, confidence
building is like testing the water before you swim. How long do you test
the water? If you want to swim, you need to go in the water. If you are
testing water for a long time, that means you don’t want to swim.

Q: Some people think that the SPDC want the guarantee for amnesty for what
they have done previously before they have a dialogue. What do you have to
say to that?

A: This is the matter to be discussed in the dialogue. From our part, we
have said very honestly and openly that we don’t have the desire for
revenge or oppression. We have to do things for the good of everyone with
give-and-take [reciprocally] and march forward. We have understood it
thus.

Q: On the one hand, the SPDC is dragging its feet. What kinds of methods
are you trying to make them come closer to the table for the dialogue?

A: We have always been trying with many methods. In fact, as the dialogue
is possible only when the two sides agree to do so, whatever we try to do,
the other side needs to make the effort too. What I mean by the desire is
– if the other side understands the situation and has good intention for
the nation, they will desire it. We have been trying to do our best so
that people will love their country.

Q: If the dialogue happened, what would you discuss? Could you tell me
about it in general?

A: It is not right to say them now. In general, we have to discuss all the
problems to do with the country.

Q; What many people are interested in is – in the dialogue, whether you
would discuss about the results of the election [May 1990]

A: You have to discuss about it. It is the main concern of the country.
You can’t omit this by not discussing about it.

Q: Yesterday, the EU said something about the emergence of the dialogue.
Before, the US and UN also said about it. How useful and successful are
the international pressures on the SPDC for the political dialogue?

A: The reason the international community wants the dialogue is because it
understands [the importance of dialogue]. The dialogue method is not only
good for Burma but also for the whole world. Whatever the problem, it has
to be solved by means of dialogue, all responsible people understand it.
Therefore, I believe that the desire for the dialogue by the international
community is suitable for human civilisation.

Democratic Voice of Burma March 15 2003

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi Interview – Part II

The DVB managed to interview the Burmese democratic leader, Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi. We asked her about the political stalemate, international
blockades and the deteriorating standard of living of Burmese people.
DVB’s Htet Aung Kyaw interviewed her.

Q: Recently, when you met another fellow Nobel Prize winner, you said that
the international community should uphold the sanctions on the SPDC. Could
you explain to us about that?