BurmaNet News: October 29, 2003

editor at burmanet.org editor at burmanet.org
Wed Oct 29 15:32:59 EST 2003

October 29, 2003 Issue #2357

INSIDE BURMA
BP: Thaksin to Meet Khin Nyunt in Pagan for Bilateral Talks Nov. 10
SHAN: Rally attendants granted license to smuggle
NewsDesk: Demand for Reopening of Offices unifies National League for
Democracy members

DRUGS
AFP: Myanmar slams US for refusing to cooperate on drugs war

MONEY
TV Myanmar: Burmese PM Chairs Meeting on Four-Nation Economic Cooperation
Summit
TV Myanmar: Burmese Commerce Minister, Asian Counterparts Discuss Economic
Issues in Bangkok
Xinhua: China’s Exports to Myanmar

GUNS
Xinhua: 19 more anti-gov't armed members surrender in Myanmar

REGIONAL
AP: Indian vice president to visit Myanmar

OPINION / OTHER
Liberty Center: Mongolian-Burmese Democracy Movement Unite

----INSIDE BURMA----

Bangkok Post   October 29, 2003
Thaksin to Meet Khin Nyunt in Pagan for Bilateral Talks Nov. 10
By Bhanravee Tansubhapol and Supamart Kasem

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will attend an economic cooperation
strategy meeting in Burma's Pagan town on Nov 10-12, during which he plans
to have bilateral talks with his Burmese counterpart Khin Nyunt.

Mr Thaksin will join leaders from Laos, Cambodia and Burma in the first
such meeting proposed by Bangkok to help develop Thailand's neighbouring
countries, Foreign Ministry spokesman Sihasak Phuangketkeow said
yesterday.

During bilateral talks, he will urge Gen Khin Nyunt to explain Burma's
road map to democracy to the world community, as well as the next step
Rangoon will take.

Mr Thaksin may also discuss with Gen Khin Nyunt details of an
international meeting on Burma to be held in Thailand before the end of
this year, another ministry official said.

China, Japan, the United States, Australia, New Zealand and some western
countries have already expressed support for the meeting.

Meanwhile in Tak's Mae Sot border town, US ambassador Darryl Johnson
yesterday said he saw Burma' road map as having no concrete substance.

Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi still remained under house
arrest, and several ethnic minority groups had not yet reached a ceasefire
agreement with Rangoon, he said at the end of his two-day visit to Tak.

Mr Johnson called on Thailand's neighbours to push for changes in Burma
that could reduce conflicts and lead the country to democracy.

We hope cooperation from Thailand's neighbouring countries will help push
for changes in Burma _ changes that could reduce conflicts between
minority groups and lead to national reconciliation and peace in the
region,'' Mr Johnson said.

In Tak, the ambassador and his nine-member delegation met with local
officials and visited agencies dealing with displaced people along the
border, including Mae Tao clinic and the Karen Refugee Committee.

Mr Johnson said the US economic sanctions against Burma were intended to
turn it into a democratic country.

The US had no plans to use force against Burma or to interfere in its
internal affairs, he added.

Shan Herald Agency for News   October 29, 2003
Rally attendants granted license to smuggle
Reporter: Hawkeye

A hundred men and women who attended last week's rally in Lashio in
support of Gen Khin Nyunt's 7 point roadmap were given permits to "carry",
a Burmese corruption of the English word meaning "smuggle", said sources
from Muse (pronounced Muzay) yesterday.

"Since their return from the Lashio rally (20 October), these people are
seen transporting electric and electronic appliances from China to
Mandalay (287 miles away) day and night without fear of being caught and
punished," said a businesswoman, whose story was confirmed by other
sources.

The smuggled goods included television sets, refrigerators and computers
made in China, that are contraband to ordinary citizens.

Others who were commandeered to join the rally, however, "went home with
empty hands", they said. Those who won the 'carry permits' were, first of
all, graduates of the civil defense course. There were some 180 men and
120 women who had completed the military-organized military training aimed
at civilian participation against possible 'American invasion'. (According
to Irrawaddy, Darryl Johnson, US ambassador to Thailand, had already
denied on 27 October Americans had plans for military intervention in
Burma.)

The rally was held 07:00-08:00 on 20 October, at the city's sports ground.
It was attended by 15,000 supporters and well-wishers, according to
http://www.Myanmar.com.

Earlier on 12 October, another rally was held in Kengtung, eastern Shan
State, that was attended by people from several townships in the area.

"Seven out of ten people could hardly understand Burmese," said a trader
from Kengtung, "and there wasn't any translator. But we're used to the
military's studied neglect by now."

Another source said 6,000 plastic chairs from Tachilek, opposite Mae Sai,
were rented on 9 October for the occasion. "Of course, the local people
had to carry the cost which was 3 baht apiece," he said.

NCGUB/NCUB NewsDesk   October 29, 2003
Demand for Reopening of Offices unifies National League for Democracy members

In the aftermath of the massacre of members of the National League for
Democracy (NLD) and supporters near Tabayin on 30 May the generals
arrested all NLD executives, sealed and closed down all NLD offices
without a word of explanation.

After five months of being kept in a limbo, NLD members recently decided
it was time to act.  NLD township executives, women, and youths in Rangoon
Division collectively launched a campaign to demand the reopening of
township offices.  It has since become a rallying cry for NLD members
throughout the country.

The campaign to reopen the township offices began off on 22 October when
Rangoon Division NLD members in all 40 townships filed their demands with
township elections commissions.

Explaining the initial launch of the campaign, a Thingangyun Township NLD
youth organizer Ko Mya Than Htaik said, "Yes, we have submitted the
letters to the respective township election commissions in Rangoon
Division, all 40 townships, demanding the reopening of NLD offices. We
sent them simultaneously on 22 October and they involved all the NLD
members including the young and the old. Previously we were unable to show
our unity but now in every township the NLD township organizing committee,
the women group, the youth group, and members used various methods to
present the demands. This time around we were able to express our unity
and show that the NLD is alive and active. It is not stagnant but united
and strong. If they do not respond then we would continue to carry out the
activities until we receive a response. We will continue to work with zeal
and enthusiasm for the release of our leaders and the reopening of our
offices. In the following days we believe the NLD members from other
states and divisions will carry out NLD activities in unity by adopting
the example of Rangoon Division. That is only the states and divisions, if
we could do it nationwide then it would be much better."

The "Reopen the Offices" drive has now spread to other divisions.

Daw Than Than Aye, NLD woman group member from Mandalay Division said the
NLD women's group together with the NLD youth "have also made
preparations. We are waiting for a response from the authorities.  If we
have our office our work would be much effective and smoother. At present
we are not completely satisfied with the way we have to work. But as long
as there is no problem with the authorities we are fine. Although it is
not easy, we have to use our own improvised method to make things work. We
have no distinction in our membership; it includes all the age groups.
Currently, they have not responded to our demands but we will carry on
with our work and find ways to urge them to respond. We have many
activities lined up. We always make ourselves vigorous with activities and
we are not stagnant so we firmly believe that we are very much on our
toes. That is our conviction."

Daw Khin Thet Htay of Yenangyaung Township in Magwe Division said, "Yes we
had made a move to reopen the offices. We would try any avenue to get
things done. But, personally I feel I can work with the people in
Yenangyaung, with or without an office. The people have interest in us and
they rely on us. That is why we on our part have tried our very best in
political and other fields with zeal and enthusiasm. As for us we do not
have any weapons, we only have our will and zeal. Well, the physical body
would die if they kill us but our spirits will live on and now they have
grown beyond imagination."

As of 26 October, NLD members in Magwe, Taungdwingyi, Sagu, Natmauk,
Salin, Myothit, and Pwintbyu Townships have made their demands and "other
townships in Magwe Division are preparing to follow suit."  Daw Sandar
Win, Magwe Township NLD Organizing Committee member, who personally went
to deliver the letter to the authorities, said, "Well, we presented four
points. The first is that NLD is political party legally existing in
accordance with the Multiparty Democracy General Election Commission
[Notification] No 4/88.  The second is the day our office was closed by
the authorities, that is 31 May. The third is to reopen the office which
remained closed for almost five months now. The last point is to be able
to perform our party duties systematically and peacefully... We will
continue doing what we have to do. Whether the authorities respond or not
is their concern. We demand now with high expectations and we will
continue to do so in future. When they closed down the NLD offices, they
not only sealed the offices that were officially functioning but also the
buildings that were earmarked as future NLD offices. They also sealed the
cabinets, drawers, documents, and furniture. That is why we demanded the
reopening of the office and to break the seals."

The drive, NLD members say, will continue "until responsible authorities
give them some form of response".

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma

----DRUGS----

Agence France Presse   October 29, 2003
Myanmar slams US for refusing to cooperate on drugs war

Myanmar's military junta slammed the United States Wednesday for failing
to cooperate in its war against drugs and warned tough new US sanctions
were obstructing efforts to fight drugs production.

The criticism followed the US State Department's release Monday of its
biannual report on Myanmar which said the Southeast Asian nation had made
little headway in combatting illicit narcotics production.

"The United States refuses to cooperate in Myanmar's war against narcotics
and does not even allow Myanmar to participate in training programs," the
junta fumed in its latest salvo in the verbal jousts between the
countries.

"Moreover, US sanctions undermine the Myanmar economy, taking away
resources that could be used to fight drug production, help those who have
become addicted and fight the diseases associated with drugs."

Tough new US sanctions were slapped in place following the junta's
detention of opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi on May 30 in the wake of
bloody attacks on her National League for Democracy supporters by a
junta-backed mob.

The State Department vowed in its report that it would keep in place the
punitive measures and said it would consider additional penalties if human
rights and other conditions did not improve.

The junta failed to address the issue of political change in its
retaliatory statement and instead complained that the United States was
shirking its own global responsibilities.

"The State Department says that 'heroin produced from Burmese opium is of
little importance in the US heroin market,' which may explain why the
United States is still on the sidelines," it said.

"But we would remind the United States that it has a responsibility as a
member of the global community to help fight against the spread of drugs,
wherever they are," it added.

Despite recording declining output for six straight years, Myanmar remains
the world's second biggest producer of opium, the source of heroin, and is
a massive producer of methamphetamine pills which flood into Thailand, the
world's largest per-capita consumer of the pills.

Myanmar has long come under harsh criticism for its alleged role in the
drugs trade -- which some say bankrolls the junta -- and for its failure
to properly clamp down on illegal drug producers. The regime denies the
charges.

----MONEY----

TV Myanmar, Rangoon, in Burmese   October 29, 2003
(translated by BBC Monitoring International Reports)
Burmese PM Chairs Meeting on Four-Nation Economic Cooperation Summit

Prime Minister Gen Khin Nyunt addressed a meeting of the Four-Country
Economic Cooperation Strategies Summit of Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma),
and Thailand, which was held at the meeting hall of Zeyathiri Beikman on
Konmyinttha in Yangoon (Rangoon) at 1400 today.

Present at the meeting were Lt-Gen Soe Win, secretary-1 of the State Peace
and Development Council (SPDC), Lt-Gen Thein Sein, secretary-2, cabinet
ministers, deputy ministers, director-general of the SPDC Office,
departmental heads, and officials.

First, in his address, Prime Minister Gen Khin Nyunt said a summit will be
held in Myanmar to lay down economic cooperation strategies for the
development of four countries - Myanmar, Thai, Laos, Cambodia. Therefore,
preliminary coordination is to be carried out on issues to be discussed at
the summit.

Head of State Sr Gen Than Shwe attended the ASEAN (Association of
Southeast Asian Nations) summit on SARS (severe acute respiratory
syndrome) held in Bangkok, Thailand, on 29 April this year. Since it has
then been agreed to hold the Four-Country Economic Cooperation Strategies
Summit in Myanmar.

Prime Minister Gen Khin Nyunt said the necessary preparations for
management have been undertaken for the success of the summit. Moreover,
this meeting is held to coordinate on and discuss issues which will be
raised at the summit. The objective of holding the summit is: to ensure
further economic growth and to improve the competitiveness of the border
trade of the four countries; to ensure the smooth flow of investments from
one country to another in the agricultural and manufacturing sectors; to
create new employment opportunities and to narrow income disparities in
the region, and to improve regional stability and sustainable development
in all the four countries.

He also urged the officials of the concerned ministries to make
coordination and collective efforts for the success of the summit as
holding the summit will bring prosperity not only to the four countries
but also to the entire ASEAN region.

Next, U Win Aung, minister of the foreign affairs, reported on preparatory
measures to be taken by ministries concerned; and Brig-Gen Pyi Sone,
minister of commerce, explained on the agreements of the Four-Country
Economic Ministers Meeting of Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Thailand, which
was held on 27 October in Bangkok.

The ministers and deputy ministers also reported on respective matters to
be discussed at the summit.

Next, Prime Minister Gen Khin Nyunt held discussions on the reports and
delivered the closing address and the meeting came to an end.

TV Myanmar, Rangoon, in Burmese   October 29, 2003
(translated by BBC Monitoring International Reports)
Burmese Commerce Minister, Asian Counterparts Discuss Economic Issues in
Bangkok

The Myanmar (Burmese) delegation led by Brig-Gen Pyi Sone, minister of
commerce, attended the Four-country - Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (Burma), and
Thailand - Preliminary Commerce Ministerial Meeting for Economic
Cooperation Strategies, held in Bangkok, Thailand, on 27 October.

Before the meeting, the four commerce ministers cordially met for
preliminary discussions. Afterwards, they delivered speeches at the
meeting.

Minister Brig-Gen Pyi Sone discussed matters relating to tax relief on
Myanmar's export items, the accounting business, cooperation on taxation,
opening of one-stop departments that can service trading and travelling at
the borders, the development of human resources, the development of
transportation infrastructure, formation of an entrepreneurs' council for
economic cooperation strategies, the holding of trade fairs, and
establishment of industrial zones that produce export goods.

The delegation arrived back in Myanmar yesterday evening. They were
welcomed back at the airport by Brig-Gen Thura Aye Myint, minister of
sports, U Ko Lay, minister of the Prime Minister's Office, Brig-Gen Aung
Tun, deputy minister of commerce, departmental heads of the ministry, and
relatives.

Xinhua General News Service   October 29, 2003
China’s Export to Myanmar in Oct.

Following is a table showing the composition of China's export to Myanmar
in October and January-October of 2002, classified according to the
Commodity Catalog of Customs Statistics of the Peoples Republic of China
on the basis of HS (Source: General Administration of Customs):

(unit: 1,000 U.S. dollars)
Category                          Oct.  Jan.-Oct. 03
Total value                     67,373        613,366

Live animals and animal            425          2,977
products

Plant products                   1,196          9,246

Animal and vegetable oil             2             50
and fats

Food, beverages, wine,             486         16,495
vinegar, tobacco and
products

Minerals                         4,387         28,898

Chemicals and related            6,103         43,709
products

Plastics, rubber and             2,290         15,304
their products

Leather, fur and their              14            314
products; bags and cases

Wood and wood products               4            178

Fiber pulp; paper and              363          3,524
paper products

Textiles and their raw          11,421         98,646
materials

Shoes, caps, umbrellas;            520          4,325
down products; artificial
flowers; hair products

Stone products; ceramics;        1,110          5,702
glass and products

Jewelry, ornaments, coins            1              2

Cheap metals and products        8,611         82,783

Machinery, equipment,           20,356        212,301
audio and video products,
and parts

Vehicles, aviation               7,872         61,191
products, and ships

Optical and medical                442          4,424
apparatus; timepieces;
music organs

Weapon, ammunition and               -              -
parts

Miscellaneous goods                828          6,059

Arts, crafts and antiques            -              1

Special and unclassified           891         17,237
products

----GUNS----

Xinhua General News Service   October 29, 2003
19 more anti-gov't armed members surrender in Myanmar

YANGON, Oct. 29 (Xinhua) --More than 19 members from three anti-government
ethnic armed groups in Myanmar have laid down their arms to the government
forces over the past two months this year, reported the official newspaper
The New Light of Myanmar on Wednesday.

These members, who "exchanged arms for peace" with the government, are
from the Kayin National Union (KNU), Chin National Army (CNA) and Kayinni
National Progressive Party (KNPP).

They brought along with them a total of 101 rounds of ammunition among
others, the report said.

Of the three armed groups, the KNU is the largest one operating on the
Myanmar-Thai border with which the government have conducted three rounds
of informal and four rounds of formal peace talks during 1995 and 1996,
producing no tangible progress.

Meanwhile, the government charged the KNU of committing destructive acts
in the country for nearly 100 times including mines planting, looting,
natural gas pipe blowing and robbery, killing 42 people and wounding 156
others since 2002.

Official statistics show that up to now, 17 anti-government armed groups
have reached cease-fire agreements with the government since 1989.

However, it is reported that there are still over 10 such groups in
operation in the country, including the Shan United Revolutionary Army,
Arakan Liberation Party and Lahu Democratic Front.

----REGIONAL----

Associated Press Worldstream   October 29, 2003
Indian vice president to visit Myanmar

Indian Vice President Bhairon Singh Shekhawat will make a four-day visit
to Myanmar next week during which he will sign a visa agreement, diplomats
said Wednesday.

Shekhawat, who arrives Sunday, will be the highest-ranking Indian leader
to visit since late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi came here in December
1987.

He is expected to sign an agreement on visa exemptions for diplomatic and
official passport holders of the two countries, said the diplomats,
speaking on condition of anonymity.

A memorandum of understanding on cooperation in human resources
development will also be signed, the diplomats said without elaborating.

Shekhawat will travel to the ancient city of Bagan and Myanmar's
second-largest city, Mandalay before leaving on Nov. 5, they said.

Myanmar's relations with India were strained after the military junta
crushed a pro-democracy uprising in 1988. But they have improved since
2000 when official visits between the two countries were renewed.

Myanmar's No. 2 leader, Gen. Maung Aye, visited India in November 2000 and
then Indian foreign minister, Jaswant Singh, came to Myanmar in February
2001 to inaugurate the 160-kilometer (100-mile) highway from an Indian
border town to a Myanmar trading outpost. The road was built with Indian
assistance.

Both countries recently re-established consulate-general offices in
Mandalay and the eastern Indian city of Calcutta. India also recently
agreed to give Myanmar a US$25 million credit.

India is Myanmar's second biggest export market after Thailand. It bought
US$187 million worth of goods from Myanmar between April 1 and Sept. 30,
according to Customs Department figures.

----OPINION / OTHER----

Liberty Center Launches Regional Initiative To Support Burmese Democracy
Movement; Mongolian-Burmese Democracy Movement Unite
October 28, 2003

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia--The Liberty Center today announced plans for a
combination legislative and civic campaign to raise awareness and support
for Burma’s National League for Democracy and imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize
Laureate Aunt San Sue Kyi.   The campaign will seek to recruit Asian
legislators, government officials, and non-government organizations (NGOs)
into recognizing the NLD as the legitimate government of Burma, and
developing a network of support for Burmese democracy activists and
imprisoned political prisoners (many of whom are Buddhist monks).  Burma
is currently ruled by a military junta that is regarded as one of the most
brutal in the world and has been roundly condemned in numerous United
Nations resolutions for its repression of democracy activists, human
rights abuses, and repression of Buddhists and Muslims seeking peaceful
political change.

“We in Mongolia can not sit idly by and say nothing while the Burmese
military junta continues its barbaric campaign of destruction against the
Burmese people and ethnic groups—many of whom have Mongolia roots,” stated
former Prime Minister Elbegdorj Tsakhia, the president of Liberty Center.
“Democracy, freedom of speech, the ability to live your life free from the
terror of dictatorship are rights that are inherited by each person at
birth.  These concepts are not native to any one region of the world, they
are universal rights given to each of us by the supreme creator of man,”
he stated.  “The Burmese military junta was rejected by the Burmese people
in the democratic elections of 1990.  The NLD won over 85% of the seats in
parliament.   “We must raise our collective Asian voices press for
peaceful political change in Burma,” he said.

As part of the outreach program, Elbegdorj will be briefing Mongolian
legislators and government officials on the political and human rights
situation in Burma and urging that a resolution be passed in parliament
supporting the NLD.  Moreover, discussions are underway with Burmese
groups on what actions can be taken to support the democracy movement in
the country.  The project will reach out to other Asian states and build a
network of supporters who want to see change in Burma.

“The military junta is responsible for impoverishing their country,
destroying millions of lives, and making Burma an epicenter for the spread
of HIV/AIDS, narcotics trafficking and forcing children into the sex
industry,” Elbegdorj stated.  “The junta targets ethnic
populations—especially the Chinese—to divert attention from their abuses
and spread hatred and mistrust,” he said.  “Burma’s neighbors and even we
in Mongolia are forced to pick up the tab for their misrule,” he stated.

Elbegdorj finished by stating: “By contrast, a democratic Burma would
offer the first real opportunity to deal with AIDS and other social ills,
reintegrate Burma into the world community, and have this country become
an economic engine for regional growth.  Only a Burma governed by the
popular will of the Burmese and ethnic nationalities will be able to bring
peace and prosperity to this tortured land.”

The Liberty Center is an NGO dedicated to promoting and protecting human
rights and democratic development in Mongolia and throughout Asia.