BurmaNet News, June 13, 2006

Editor editor at burmanet.org
Tue Jun 13 15:01:09 EDT 2006

June 13, 2006 Issue # 2982

INSIDE BURMA
AFP: Aung San Suu Kyi reported in good condition
DVB via BBC: Burmese opposition says request to UN for "negotiator" on hold
Irrawaddy: Four jailed for publishing pro-democracy poem
DVB: Rangoon school veranda collapse reportedly kills couple of pupils

ON THE BORDER
Narinjara: Hunger stares people in the face in border areas

BUSINESS / TRADE
Xinhua: Small enterprises dominate industrial zones in Myanmar

HEALTH / AIDS
Irrawaddy: Mae Tao clinic reports soaring malaria, HIV/AIDS figures

DRUGS
SHAN: From boom town to ghost town

REGIONAL
Irrawaddy: Japanese official expresses “concerns” to Burmese FM
AP: China says Amnesty report on arms exports "groundless"

OPINION / OTHER
New Straits Times: Persuade China, India to help junta see the light
Mizzima: Timber trade changes give SPDC more power - Zao Noam

____________________________________
INSIDE BURMA

June 13, Agence France Presse
Aung San Suu Kyi reported in good condition

Myanmar's democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi was in good condition, her
doctor said Tuesday in the first report on her condition since an illness
that sparked international concern.

"She is in good condition," doctor Tin Myo Win told AFP.

He said he had gone to her lakeside home in Yangon, where she is under
house arrest, to treat her for stomach problems on Thursday.

But he said she had never been hospitalized, denying reports from her
party and from exiled dissidents. "It's not true," he said.

Reports that the 60-year-old pro-democracy leader was ill had drawn
statements of concern from the United States and from fellow activists,
who called on the nation's military rulers to ensure she receives proper
treatment.

Aung San Suu Kyi has spent more than 10 of the last 17 years under house
arrest, with only a shortwave radio to connect her to the outside world.

Myanmar's junta allows Tin Myo Win to visit around once a month.

Despite international calls for her release, the junta again extended her
house arrest for another year in May.

She has been detained at her residence in Yangon this time since a May
2003 attack on her convoy by junta-backed militia in the country's central
region.

Aung San Suu Kyi was first thrown into prison after the assault but after
a gynecological operation four months later she was allowed to return
home. She will turn 61 on Monday.

____________________________________

June 13, Democratic Voice of Burma via BBC Monitoring
Burmese opposition says request to UN for "negotiator" on hold

Dear listeners, we understand that the National League for Democracy [NLD]
has so far not received any response from UN Secretary-General Kofi Anan
about the request for the appointment of a negotiator for national
reconciliation. In this connection, NLD Spokesperson U Lwin has this to
say:

[U Lwin - recording] There has been no response yet but we have heard that
the issue has been referred to the United Nations Security Council. We
have to wait until the process is completed at the council before our
proposal for a negotiator [preceding word rendered in English] will be
given consideration. At one stage, they - [changes thought] since it is
the United States that has proposed the UN Security Council action, we
understand that Gambari had discussed the matter with the United States.
Under such a situation, our request for the person who would officiate as
a negotiator or a mediator [preceding word rendered in English] can only
be considered later. [End of recording]

That was NLD Spokesperson U Lwin.

We understand that when UN Undersecretary-General Mr Gambari visited Burma
last month, he had urged the NLD to attend the National Convention. This
is what U Lwin has to say when we asked him about the matter:

[U Lwin - recording] He started asking us why we were not participating in
the seven-point roadmap to democracy which they [the government] had
drafted. On our part, we said we did attend the Convention. But, the
convention was unlike a dialogue because it was controlled by one side and
discussions had to be within the framework of the rules set, and what we
wanted was a dialogue. We left the convention because it was not working
out. The process was then disrupted. We then renegotiated and the dialogue
was resumed. We asked for the reopening of the offices and the release of
our people as a condition. Of the more than 700 people, over 500 were then
released, and (?112) of our offices were reopened. That was why we went
around opening our offices. Offices in Monywa and Budalin were reopened,
and the incident [attack on NLD entourage at Tabayin] happened while in
the process to open the Ye-u branch office. We had one success after
another while the talks were ongoing. Hence, if we try to work while talks
are being held, there can be practical accomplishments. Coming under
attack at Tabayin is another matter. That was what we explained. [End of
recording]

U Lwin also said that on 1 June, the NLD had briefed the political
veterans and the Committee Representing People's Parliament about the
talks held between the NLD and Mr Gambari.

[U Lwin - recording] We explained about the situation to them. [We told
them that] we believe that the United Nations was trying to be fair and
impartial to both sides. We had asked for a dialogue and the United
Nations had asked us to attend the convention, and we clarified our
position, and so forth. That was what we explained. We did not discuss
anything special. They did not express their personal opinions. We
considered what we should be doing in the future. [End of recording]

That was NLD Spokesperson U Lwin.

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 12 Jun 06

____________________________________

June 13, The Irrawaddy
Four jailed for publishing pro-democracy poem

Burma’s opposition National League for Democracy said Tuesday it would
lodge legal appeals against long prison sentences imposed on four young
men, including an NLD member, for publishing an unauthorized poem. NLD
member Aung Than and three activists, Zeya Aung, Aung Aung Oo and Sein
Hlaing, were convicted by a court in Pegu, central Burma, of high treason,
illegal publishing and crossing illegally into Thailand and were given
prison terms of between seven and 19 years. They had been arrested in late
March, together with six Pegu university students, in connection with the
publication of a pro-democracy poem titled Daung Man, which translates as
“The Strength of the Fighting Peacock.” A fighting peacock is the symbol
of Burma’s pro-democracy movement. The students were freed after the
authorities established they had only read the poem and had nothing to do
with its publication. Myat Hla, an NLD lawyer, told The Irrawaddy Tuesday
that a legal appeal would be launched on behalf of the jailed four. Three
of the jailed men are in Rangoon’s Insein prison, while Sein Hlaing is in
Pegu prison.

____________________________________

June 11, Democratic Voice of Burma
Rangoon school veranda collapse reportedly kills couple of pupils

A veranda of No.2, High School at Ward 4, North Dagon Township in Rangoon
Division, collapsed and there had been some deaths and more than 40 pupils
were wounded, according to local residents.

The incident occurred on 30 May and the injured pupils were taken to Dagon
Hospital and nearby North Okkalapa Hospital on police cars.

“I think 3-4 people died. It is learnt that there were 40 pupils in all,”
a local resident told DVB. “As it happened suddenly, the hospital car
(ambulance) didn’t arrive. You can only carry one or two people with the
hospital car. As the hospital car didn’t arrive and the police car did,
the police car was filled (with injured pupils). I was told that a lot of
people were treated at the hospital at the junction of 7 and 8 Streets.
Only a few people went to North Okkalapa (Hospital). But there were 4
carloads of people who went to North Okkalapa on the police car. It is not
known how their injuries are.”

When DVB contacted North Okkalapa hospital, a staff on duty said that only
some pupils with slight injuries were treated at the hospital and
discharged, but unable to provide the details as to how the accident
happened.

____________________________________
ON THE BORDER

June 13, Narinjara News
Hunger stares people in the face in border areas

Villagers, primarily from tribal communities, have in recent times been
facing acute food shortages in the border areas of Buthidaung Township, 10
days after the onset of monsoon in Arakan State this month.

A local source said that those most affected are villagers from the north
of Buthidaung Township near Bangladesh. Among the villages, Arin Tut Chay,
Arin Tut Gri, Na Han, and Na Hon are the most severely affected.

A Mro tribal leader said that they have submitted an appeal to the nearest
Burmese authorities to distribute some rice to hungry villagers. There has
not been any response yet from the authorities.

Last year, tribal people living in the border areas were unable to store
any excess rice for this rainy season, as the rice available in the area
had been less than usual because of late cultivation in their farms.

The tribal people in the border areas did not receive permission from the
local army authorities to cultivate rice on the hillsides early enough and
their cultivation was pushed beyond the ideal date.

Because the permission for hillside cultivation was late in coming, the
tribal people are now suffering a shortage of rice, said the tribal
leader.

In rice markets in Buthidaung Township, the price of rice has been going
up by the day, to the point where people from the border villages cannot
easily afford it. According to market sources, the price of ordinary
quality rice is now Kyat 16,250 for a 50-kilogram sack, while standard
rice like Pawsan Mwe is priced at Kyat 22,500 per sack.

____________________________________
BUSINESS / TRADE

June 13, Xinhua General News Service
Small enterprises dominate industrial zones in Myanmar

Small private industrial enterprises are dominating industrial zones
across Myanmar, leading in the sustainable development of the country's
industrial sector, according to local media.

There are 19 industrial zones throughout the country with a total of 9,574
industrial enterprises operating, with small, medium and heavy industries
taking take 57.48 percent, 25.24 percent and 17.28 percent respectively, a
release of the Myanmar Industrial Development Committee disclosed.

In terms of the number of enterprises, the Mandalay Industrial Zone stands
first with 1,109, followed by the Monywa with 1,006 and the Yangon West
District with 1,003.

In terms of heavy industries, the Hlaingthaya Industrial Zone in Yangon
tops with 316, followed by the Mandalay with 185 and Yangon West district
with 144.

Of the 19 industrial zones across Myanmar, five are situated at new
satellite towns of Yangon such as Hlaingtharya, Dagon Myothit, Shwepyitha,
Shwepaukkan, Mingaladon and Thanlyin-Kyauktan. Of these industrial zones
in Yangon, the 453-hectare Hlaingtharya zone is regarded as the most
developed one.

Meanwhile, Myanmar is planning an exceptional special industrial zone, the
Thilawa, to be established with 100-percent foreign investment in a bid to
absorb increased inflow of foreign investment to promote Myanmar's
industrial development.

The Thilawa zone is expected to become the first export concentration
zone, in which all formalities for export of the zone's products will be
handled.

The manufacturing or industrial sector is also dominating Myanmar's
domestic private investment with 31.483 billion Kyats ( 28.62 million US
dollars) out of a total of 122.73 billion Kyats ( 111.57 million dollars)
as of January this year since 1988, according to the National Investment
Commission.

Myanmar has been encouraging the private sector in industrial development.
The private sector contributed 90 percent to the country's industrial
sector in 2002-03, 92 percent in 2003-04 and over 93 percent in 2004-05.

The government has stressed the need to fully operate the existing old and
new factories and to build more as well as to improve both in quantity and
quality with the use of advanced technologies, calling for cooperative
efforts between the state and the private sector to strive for the
emergence of an industrial nation.

In another move to help develop the industrial sector, Myanmar has since
1995 been privatizing state-owned enterprises (SOE) systematically
including industrial ones with the aim of transforming them into more
effective and efficient ones.

So far, a total of 194 SOE from 10 ministries, including 26 from the
Ministry of Industry, have been privatized as of March this year since the
country began implementation of the plan of privatization.

Although the industrial sector accounts for about 11 percent of the
country's gross domestic products, economists said that it still has a
long way to go for the sector to contribute more to the national economy
and efforts are still needed on the development of medium and heavy
industries.

____________________________________
HEALTH / AIDS

June 12, The Irrawaddy
Mae Tao clinic reports soaring malaria, HIV/AIDS figures - Yeni

The number of HIV/AIDS and malaria patients from Burma registering for
treatment at the Mae Tao Clinic in the Thai border town Mae Sot has leapt
dramatically, according to the clinic’s annual report for 2005.

The report says 72 percent of victims of P falciparum, the most aggressive
and lethal type of malaria, were from Burma. These patients were “three
times more likely to require blood transfusions, and twice more likely to
need referral to Mae Sot Hospital for care than patients living in
Thailand,” noted the clinic, which is run by the celebrated Karen doctor
Cynthia Maung. The total number of malaria cases treated at the clinic had
leapt 90 percent in the year under review, from 3,975 in 2004 to 7,505 in
2005.

Burmese patients made up the majority of those treated by the clinic, the
report noted. “These patients making the difficult journey to our clinic
tend to be more severely ill compared to those living in Thailand,” it
said.

HIV/AIDS patients accounted for 0.9 percent of all admissions at the
clinic but for 23 percent of deaths there, the report recorded. More than
2 percent of women receiving care at the clinic were HIV sufferers, double
the rate of four years ago.

“Ideally, those found to be HIV positive in our ante-natal screening and
voluntary counseling and treatment programs would be offered
antiretroviral therapy, but currently there are no resources available to
address this growing need,” the report said.

Currently Mae Tao Clinic is collaborating with World Vision to provide
care for migrant victims of HIV/AIDS, including family counseling.

The clinic also receives technical and logistical support from Thai public
health authorities and Mae Sot Hospital, including vaccination, laboratory
testing, X-ray and ultrasound technology, medical waste disposal,
obstetric and medical emergency referrals, disease surveillance, and
methods for the prevention of mother-to-child transmission.

The Mae Tao Clinic was founded in 1988 to provide medical attention for
pro-democracy students fleeing military persecution in Burma. Since 1995
its concerns have grown to include education and training programs.

Mae Tao clinic now treats a wide range of diseases and injuries—from
land-mine and gunshot wounds to psychological trauma. In addition, the
greater social and economical complexity and longer length of stay of
patients from Burma put “a disproportionately heavy strain on our
resources,” the clinic said in its report.

____________________________________
DRUGS

June 13, Shan Herald Agency for News

>From boom town to ghost town

Nakawngmu, 24 miles south of Mongton and 29 miles north of the Chiangmai
border, became a thriving town bustling with a bullish drug market
following the surrender of Khun Sa’s Mong Tai Army in 1996. But two weeks
after a heroin refinery some 80 miles in the west was busted, of all
people, by the Wa, it has become almost another empty town.

The crack-up came in the wake of a follow-up crackdown on more than 10
known associates of drug operators taken alive at the Hwe Zalawb refinery
on 31 May in a bloody raid. The number of deaths is still in controversy:
from 17 to more than 40. What no one meanwhile disagrees is that there
were also Wa soldiers among those shot. “There is nothing we can do to
save them,” “Yang Guo-jong, the Wa commander who was in charge of the raid
was quoted to have said.

Four days later, two Dyna six-wheelers were dispatched to the killing
ground to load up 30 kg of heroin and morphine, 400,000 methamphetamine
pills, 17 assorted weapons and more than 30 barrels of liquid chemicals,
according to a Thai security officer quoting Lahu sources. On 9 June, both
the detained suspects and the seizure were delivered to Brig-Gen Way Lin,
deputy commander of the Kengtung-based Triangle Region Command, he added.

The raid was a reminder of a similar operation undertaken by the Wa 3
years ago, said a veteran Burma watcher. On 30 March 2003, Wa troops from
the 171st Military Region of Wei Hsuehkang, himself a drug fugitive from
Thailand, stormed a refinery under the protection of a pro-junta militia
force, killing 9, injuring 3 and capturing 37 alive, according to a United
Wa State Army bulletin. Among the haul were 13.5 kg of heroin, 67.7 kg of
morphine and 208 kg of opium, according to Myanmar Information Committee.

“The Wa are trying to kill two birds with one stone,” one Nakawngmu
resident commented. “First, it is their warning to rival business gangs
and second, they are trying to please Burma’s angry neighbors, especially
China and Thailand, who are at all not satisfied with the generals’
lukewarm drug efforts.”

Contrary to S.H.A.N’s previous reports, 4 instead 2 of those captured at
Hwe Zalawb could still be alive albeit under custody:

* Japao aka Lao Hsang aka Win Maung, 40
* Yui Liang
* Pawli aka Hpo Ni
* Nang Myint, 35, Japao’s wife

Sources in the area, both Shan and Lahu, are not convinced by the Wa’s
latest War on Drugs. “If they were really serious,” “said a Lahu
militiaman, “what about their own refineries in Khailong, Mongjawd and
other places? Everyone knows the one in Mongjawd is the biggest one and
heavily guarded.”

____________________________________
REGIONAL

June 13, The Irrawaddy
Japanese official expresses “concerns” to Burmese FM - Clive Parker

A senior member of Japan’s ruling Liberal Democratic Party, Fumio Kyuma,
expressed “concerns over the Myanmar [Burma] situation” in a meeting with
Foreign Minister Nyan Win on Monday, the Japanese Embassy in Rangoon said.

Kyuma—who is a member of Japan’s House of Representatives and the former
director general of the country’s Defense Agency—also “conveyed his ideas
on what Myanmar [Burma] should do,” embassy spokesperson Kazuyuki Takimi
said, without elaborating further.

The UN Security Council’s involvement in the Burma problem was not
discussed, the spokesperson added. Japan has indicated it would not back a
US-proposed council resolution on Burma as it does not consider problems
in the country to be an international security issue.

Tokyo did, however, call for the release of National League for Democracy
leader Aung San Suu Kyi following the extension of her house arrest at the
end of last month. Takimi declined to say whether Aung San Suu Kyi’s
detention was discussed at the meeting between Kyuma and Nyan Win, saying
only that both parties “didn’t talk about very sensitive agenda [items].”

Kyuma also held a meeting on Monday with the head of the Union Solidarity
and Development Association and Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation
Htay Oo, which Takimi described as “a fact-finding mission
not an
important meeting.” State-run The New Light of Myanmar reported on Tuesday
that the USDA—an organization set up by Snr-Gen Than Shwe in 1993—briefed
the Japanese politician on its functions and “its participation in
development tasks of the country.”

Kyuma spent two days in Rangoon, attending a meeting of the Hawaii-based
Pacific Congress on Marine Science and Technology, an organization that
shares scientific information among countries in the Pacific region. He
was not immediately available for comment.

____________________________________

June 13, Associated Press
China says Amnesty report on arms exports "groundless" - Gillian Wong

China said Tuesday its weapons exports were handled in a "prudent and
responsible" manner, refuting criticism by the rights group Amnesty
International that its arms sales are fueling brutal conflicts in certain
countries.

"This organization's accusation is groundless and does not comply with
facts," said Jiang Yu, a Foreign Ministry spokeswoman, at a regular
briefing. "China has a prudent and responsible attitude in military
exports."

Jiang said China followed three principles in its arms trade that its
exports should serve to boost the defense capability of the recipient
country, should not undermine the stability of the country and the world,
and should not interfere in the recipient nation's internal affairs.

London-based human rights group Amnesty International said in a report
released Sunday that China's sales of military vehicles and weapons to
Sudan, Nepal and Myanmar have aggravated conflicts and abetted violence
and repressive rule in those countries.

In her response, Jiang did not refer specifically to any of the countries
mentioned in the report, but said China's arms deals complied with
international law.

"We have normal cooperation in the field of military exports with the
relevant countries, and our cooperation conforms to our international
obligations and laws," Jiang said.

In financial terms, China was the smallest exporter of arms among the
world's powers, Jiang said, citing statistics by the Stockholm
International Peace Research Institute.

She said the center's data showed Beijing's arms exports in the 2000-2004
period amounted to US$1.46 billion (euro1.16 billion), a fraction of the
United States' US$25.9 billion (euro20.6 billion) total.

But China rarely confirms sales of weapons and military equipment abroad,
a secrecy that is compounding U.S. concerns about how it is using its
rapidly rising economic and diplomatic power abroad. Senior U.S.
government officials have publicly criticized China for a robust military
buildup at home and a lack of transparency in its defense policies.

____________________________________
OPINION / OTHER

June 13, New Straits Times (Malaysia)
Persuade China, India to help junta see the light - Dr Chandra Muzaffar

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations will meet in Malaysia next
month to discuss Myanmar. One hopes the meeting will formulate a concrete
plan to compel the junta to prove that it is serious about dismantling
autocratic structures of power and moving towards democracy.

There are two reasons for this. One, in the face of all the gentle
approaches from Asean, and against the tide of international public
opinion, the junta has extended the detention of the leader of the
democracy movement, Aung San Suu Kyi, by another year.

Two, the United States is working towards a United Nations resolution
against the junta.

While US officials have cited the violation of human rights in Myanmar as
the reason, it could use the issue to enlarge its influence in the region
and ensure that its dominant geopolitical role in Asia remains
unchallenged, especially given the rise of China, Myanmar's closest ally.

This is why Asean should persuade China to play an active role in coaxing
Myanmar to adopt tangible measures which will convince the world that it
is keen on restoring democracy.

Suu Kyi should be released without conditions and a firm date should be
set for fresh nation-wide democratic elections, with all political actors
participating. China should be told that unless there is a concrete action
plan from the Myanmar regime, the US will seize the opportunity to pursue
its own agenda.

India, with whom Myanmar is expanding economic ties, should also be
brought on board. Next to China, it is India that Myanmar sees as a shield
of sorts to protect its deeply flawed position on human rights from world
censure.

Asean should try to convince India that its own credentials as the world's
largest democracy could be tarnished if it is viewed as "the protector" of
the Myanmar regime.

The road to Myanmar is through Beijing and, to a lesser degree, New Delhi.

The Asean meeting should adopt a unified stand on sending a high-level
Asean delegation to Beijing and Delhi to persuade their leaders to apply
maximum pressure on the Myanmar regime.

____________________________________

June 9, Mizzima News
Timber trade changes give SPDC more power - Zao Noam

There have been many changes to cross-border timber trade between Burma
and China this year with both countries recently supporting attempts to
stamp out illegal logging.

Earlier this year, Htoo Trading Company obtained a logging concession in
Bhamo district on the China-Burma border in Kachin State. Htoo is owned by
Tay Za who is known to have very close relations with senior general Than
Shwe.

But the company was too late to profit from the concession as most of the
area had already been logged of its precious hardwoods, including teak.

This discovery led to the arrests of many Chinese loggers in the area.
Several were murdered. The Chinese government reacted with anger to the
State Peace and Development Council's violence and a high-profile meeting
was organised between the two governments to discuss the issue.

The Chinese government decided they would respect the SPDC's request to
only support military-backed logging in Burma, since they thought timber
trading would increasingly go through Rangoon.

China's foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang publicly requested that
"Chinese companies and individuals abide by local laws and regulations" in
Burma. At the end of March this year, the Yunnan provincial government, in
cooperation with the Chinese People's Armed Police Force for Border
Affairs, declared it illegal for Chinese citizens to enter Burma for
mining or logging purposes.

China's provincial authorities have begun to clamp down on movements
across a few of the major southern border crossings to Burma such as the
one in Ruili. The Burmese regime has tried to reshuffle border officials
to ensure that timber crossing the border does not bypass the Myanmar
Timber Enterprise, the commercial arm of the Forestry Department. In early
May, thirteen Burmese border-trade officials in Muse were arrested by the
military's northeast command on corruption charges.

But despite these recent crackdowns, some border check points north of
Ruili remain active. Two independent Kachin sources and one Burmese relief
organisation have confirmed that illegal timber is still flowing across
the border.

The Burmese and Chinese governments' new timber trade policies have
allowed them to profit at the expense of Kachin political groups,
including the Kachin Independence Organization, and Kachin villagers.
Timber is only allowed to pass through Rangoon or through Muse, the only
'legal' checkpoint on the China border. This benefits the SPDC by
diverting income from ethnic groups into their own pockets, as well as
allowing the regime access to more forested territory in Kachin areas.

Ethnic groups with closer relationships with the SPDC, such as the New
Democratic Army-Kachin, may also be able to cash in on the 'legal' timber
trade by asking the SPDC to grant them logging concessions in return for
acting as de facto border troops.

Through the new timber laws, the military has been able to increase its
control over logging as part of a plan to divide and conquer different
ethnic political groups.

Chinese authorities in Yunnan who control trade through Ruili will profit
from collecting escalating timber taxes as non-government involvement in
the black market timber trade in Burma decreases.

There is only one Chinese company that has a contract with the SPDC to
import 'legal' logs from Burma.

The Awng Mai Company has also signed a teak logging contract with Burma's
northern commander for the logging of large tracts of forest along Kachin
State's border with China from 2005 to 2009.

The 'legalisation' of logging in northern Burma equates to the
'Burmanisation' of the country's natural resources by transforming forests
into national or state resources.

The KIO's finances will be dramatically reduced—precisely the intention of
the SPDC. But the KIO will no doubt be able to generate some cash with the
help of their China-Kachin cross-border contacts.

They will be able to smuggle cut timber into China by either mixing it
with 'legal' wood coming through Muse, through the Laiza checkpoint at the
KIO headquarters (as is currently the case), or by slipping timber across
the border on back roads.

However, the northern commands' recent directive to stop timber passing
through Laiza, in cooperation with Chinese enforcement officers, will
certainly add to pressure on the KIO.

The tens of thousands of Chinese migrants engaged in logging and mining in
northern Burma are being forced back to China. Some remain despite the
danger. Yunnan timber processing plants are starting to fold and they are
taking the hundreds of thousands of Chinese migrants they employ with
them.

As black market timber profits dwindle and the SPDC increase their grip on
the sector, mining will provide a convenient and lucrative replacement.