BurmaNet News, October 2, 2008

Editor editor at burmanet.org
Thu Oct 2 14:34:18 EDT 2008

October 2, 2008 Issue # 3569

INSIDE BURMA
AP: Myanmar detains political ally of Aung San Suu Kyi
Narinjara News: Swan Ahr Shin and police support Sittwe monks
DVB: NLD youth member reported dead in custody
DVB: Lawyer Aung Thein withdraws representation
DVB: Elected MP’s health deteriorates in detention
Irrawaddy: Than Shwe delays signing election law

ON THE BORDER
Irrawaddy: Monk escapes from Lantalang Prison

BUSINESS / TRADE
AFP: Myanmar to boost tourism with seaside airport at cyclone scene
Mizzima News: Llyod's writes to all agents to 'reconsider' business deals
with Burma

HEALTH / AIDS
Mizzima News: Breastfeeding, safest for infants

REGIONAL
Mizzima News: 'The Revolving Door': Plight of Burmese refugees in Malaysia

INTERNATIONAL

OPINION / OTHER
Irrawaddy: Burma stonewalls at the UN – Editorial
Mizzima News: Burma's economy: Do sanctions hinder development? – Mungpi
Irish Times: One year on in Burma
The Times of India: ‘Militant monks’ or agents of change? – Shobhan Saxena

____________________________________
INSIDE BURMA

October 2, Associated Press
Myanmar detains political ally of Aung San Suu Kyi

Myanmar's military authorities have detained a prominent former journalist
and political ally of detained pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, the
opposition party said Thursday.

Police took 64-year-old Ohn Kyaing from his home Wednesday evening, said
Nyan Win, the spokesman for Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy.

"The reason why he was detained was not known," Nyan Win said.

Ohn Kyaing was released from prison in 2005 after serving 15 years of a
17-year prison sentence for "writing and distributing seditious pamphlets"
and threatening state security.

Ohn Kyaing joined the NLD after a long career in journalism and won a
parliamentary seat in 1990 — elections that were overwhelmingly won by Suu
Kyi's party but which the military junta refused to recognize.

Until then, he had worked at several newspapers and written articles under
the pen name "Aung Wint."

Ohn Kyaing is a close friend and former colleague of Win Tin, another
former journalist turned opposition politician, who was the
longest-serving political prisoner in Myanmar until his release Sept. 23.
Win Tin served 19 years behind bars.

Asked to comment on the detention of Ohn Kyaing, Win Tin said, it "is not
unusual and something we have to expect. He is a close colleague, a good
friend and a highly qualified man."

The Home Ministry, which is in charge of police, could not be reached for
comment Thursday. Authorities seldom comment on arrests of this nature.

Myanmar has been under military rule for 46 years and is one of the
world's poorest and most authoritarian nations. Suu Kyi, a Nobel Peace
Prize laureate, has been detained for 13 of the last 19 years.

____________________________________

October 2, Narinjara News
Swan Ahr Shin and police support Sittwe monks

Members of Swan Ahr Shin, the police, and the riot police have supported
the anti-government movement led by monks in Sittwe because they are
suffering the same difficulties in their daily lives, said monk leader
Rakhaputta in Sittwe.

He said, "We received not only the people's support, but also the support
of members of Swan Ahr Shin, riot police, and the police force for our
movement at present, because they are unable to tolerate the economic
hardship of their daily lives under the current military government."

People in Sittwe typically support the monk led demonstrations against the
military government, but members of Swan Ahr Shin and riot police have
never in the past supported the anti-government demonstrations.

Rakhaputta, who is now leading monks in Sittwe, said yesterday over the
phone, "Our movement against the military government is still going on
without any disturbances by the authorities because we received
information from officials from those groups about how the authority plans
to crack down on our movement."

He added that members of Swan Ahr Shin are also members of the public and
they are suffering like everyone else. "They are in the same boat, so they
understand the current situation of Burma and support our movement," he
said.

Swan Ahr Shin was formed by the government with retired soldiers and
police, local supporters of the government, and criminals, in order to
attack people and monks when they lead anti-government activities anywhere
in Burma.

During last year's Saffron Revolution, members of Swan Ahr Shin along with
the police and riot police attacked many democratic and human rights
activists. The authority placed Swan Ahr Shin at the forefront of the
crackdown on the democracy movement in Burma.

The monk said, "You can see there have not been activities by Swan Ahr
Shin this year, because they do not want to support the government again.
In Sittwe, there are some members of Swan Ahr Shin but they are very close
with the monks right now because they understand why monks are attempting
to stage demonstrations as well as who the demonstrations are for."

The authority is still beefing up security in Sittwe after the anniversary
of the Saffron Revolution has passed because there are rumors that monks
in Sittwe are secretly preparing to stage demonstrations to demand the
release of all monks who were detained after last year's protests.

____________________________________

October 2, Democratic Voice of Burma
NLD youth member reported dead in custody

Aung Moe Lwin, a 36-year-old youth member of the National League for
Democracy in Natmauk township, Magwe division, is said to have died in
detention, according to a source who spoke on condition of anonymity.

His family has been informed of his death.

Aung Moe Lwin went to Rangoon last year for training before the Saffron
Revolution in September and stayed at Maggin monastery, where became
friendly with the monks and helped look after AIDS patients.

He stayed with the monks during the demonstrations up until the monastery
was sealed off and was interviewed about the arrests and beatings of monks
in the crackdown.

When he suddenly disappeared from South Dagon at the beginning of August,
people assumed he had gone to another monastery, as he had made friends
with monks from other monasteries and stayed with them on previous
occasions.

It did not become clear that Aung Moe Lwin had been arrested until a
fellow detainee who had been released said that he had seen him being
tortured in prison and that he was in a serious condition.

Once his arrest and detention was made public, his family expected that he
would be transferred to Insein prison where they could come and visit him.

But five days ago, Aung Moe Lwin’s brother in Kyaukpadaung received a
telephone call from an unnamed person who informed him that Aung Moe Lwin
and another person from Meikhtila had died from an ‘over-zealous hand’
during interrogation.

On hearing this, Aung Moe Lwin’s parents went to the Rangoon divisional
office where their son was last known to have been held, but they were
told by an official that he was not there.

Aung Moe Lwin’s father U Thein Aung said he was determined to find out
what happened to his son.

"I am proud of my son and I allowed him to do good things for the public,”
U Thein Aung said.

“I will look for him until I find him. I don't think it will be easy, but
I will search until I find him," he said.

“I won't give up until I find him. It is necessary to uncover the truth
and I will continue to do so."

U Thein Aung arrived in Rangoon today, and has been to Rangoon divisional
office, Kyeemyintaing court and Insein prison.

So far his investigations have met with denials from the authorities.

"The authorities have only said, ‘We don't know and he is not here’," U
Thein Aung said.

"I want them to tell me where he is and what happened but they are hiding
it, it is hard to cope with."

U Thein Aung said he had told his wife that their son was missing and
wants his case to be treated as a missing person, feared dead, until the
facts are established.

____________________________________

October 2, Democratic Voice of Burma
Lawyer Aung Thein withdraws representation – Htet Aung Kyaw

Prominent lawyer U Aung Thein has said he is to stop representing clients
such as U Gambira and other activists in protest at the court’s refusal to
allow him enough time to prepare a defence.

Aung Thein said he will no longer work on the cases of those detained for
their involvement in last year’s public demonstrations.

Contrary to legal requirements, Aung Thein said he had not been given
sufficient time to gather evidence and prepare his clients’ defence cases.

"I asked the court to give us enough time, and the court said, ‘We can't
do that, we have to finish this case’,” he said.

“U Gambira's lawyer also said he could not conduct cross-examinations.
After they refused to grant me enough time, I said I wouldn't continue
with the case – I would withdraw my representation."

Aung Thein added that it could never be fair for prosecutors to read out
accusations against the suspects and not allow them to properly defend
themselves.

The lawyer was particularly dismayed by the one-sided decisions passed
against political prisoners by Ahlon township judge Daw Thiri Tin in
Insein prison.

Aung Thein’s clients include U Gambira and his brother Ko Aung Kyaw Kyaw,
U Eindreia from Maggin monastery, U Eindaka from Mandalay, U Thumana, Ko
Kyaw Naing from Myitche, Ko Than Naing from taungdwinggyi, Ko Wunna Maung
from Mandalay, Ko Shwe Maung, and Ko Zaw Win.

Aung Thein said the court’s decision not to allow him to cross-examine
witnesses had also made it impossible for him to properly defend his
clients.

He rejected the suggestion that his stance could make the situation worse
for his clients, and said he had their full support.

"I consulted with the clients and withdrew representation with their
consent. We can't even think about the good or bad consequences,” he said.

“The court took an instant decision and if we didn't take an instant
decision, what should we do? I had no other option but to withdraw my
representation,” he explained.

“The clients agreed that there was no justice and gave their signatures in
support."

____________________________________

October 2, Democratic Voice of Burma
Elected MP’s health deteriorates in detention – Khin Hnin Htet

Elected members of parliament U Nyi Pu and Dr Tin Min Htut have been
transferred to Insein prison, according to a National League for Democracy
spokesperson.

U Nyi Pu is the elected representative for Gwa township and an Arakan NLD
organising committee member, while Dr Tin Min Htut is an elected MP from
Panatanaw township in Irrawaddy division.

NLD spokesperson U Nyan Win said U Nyi Pu’s health had suffered since his
arrest in August.

“U Nyi Pu can’t move the lower part of his body and we have heard that his
health is not good,” Nyan Win said.

“When he was with use he was perfectly fine, I don’t know what is
happening to him now.”

Their families have not yet been allowed to visit them.

Pu Cin Sian Thang, a colleague of U Nyi Pu, also said his friend's health
had deteriorated since his arrest.

U Nyi Pu and Dr Tin Min Htut were arrested on 11 and 12 August respectively.

Along with Pu Cin Sian Thang, U Thein Pe and Dr Myint Naing, the two wrote
a letter to the United Nations in July protesting the SPDC's plans for a
2010 election.

Some people have speculated that the arrests were connected with the
letter, but Pu Cin Sian Thang said the reason for the arrests was not
clear.

Separately, U Aung Thein, the lawyer who represents National League for
Democracy member Ko Thein Swe, has asked the court to release his client
now that the Interior Ministry has withdrawn the charge against him, Thein
Swe’s father U Min Swe told DVB.

Thein Swe was arrested for his involvement in public demonstrations in
September last year.

Aung Thein wrote to the court on Tuesday to request the release of Ko
Thein Swe and Yeh Min Oo, and a decision is expected next week.

____________________________________

October 2, Irrawaddy
Than Shwe delays signing election law – Min Lwin

The head of the Burmese military regime, Snr-Gen Than Shwe, has still not
approved the country’s election law, which authorizes an election in 2010
and the constitutional backing for the Burmese armed forces to retain at
least 25 percent of parliamentary seats.

Sources within the Burmese military said that although the election law
had been approved by the constitution process, it was still on Than Shwe’s
desk waiting to be signed.

Win Min, a Burmese military analyst based in Thailand, said that Than Shwe
will not authorize the document until closer to the election date.

Rumors are circulating in Naypyidaw and Rangoon that Than Shwe and his No
2, Vice Snr-Gen Maung Aye, have argued recently about which officers would
be given parliamentary seats and which would continue in military service.

Military sources said that Than Shwe is the key player in deciding which
military officers run in the election.

Meanwhile, at the United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York,
Burmese Foreign Minister Nyan Win said that the fifth step of the junta’s
“road map”—a general election—will be completed in 2010 and that all
necessary measures are being taken for the election.

He also said in his speech that all citizens, regardless of political
affiliation, will have equal rights to form political parties and the
government will make every effort to ensure that the election will be free
and fair.

According to the constitution approved in May, 25 percent of the seats in
the Burmese parliament will be reserved for members of the military,
nominated by the Commander-in-Chief of the Burmese Defence Services.

Aung Kyaw Zaw, a Burmese military analyst living on the China-Burma
border, said that Than Shwe wanted to keep his grip on power and was
preparing to form a political party to compete in the 2010 election.

According to military sources, regional military commanders competed for
Than Shwe’s approval during the constitutional referendum in May. The
commanders were told that unless their regions produced a high percentage
of Yes votes, they could find themselves “retired” or transferred to
inactive positions.

Official figures concluded that more than 90 percent of the electorate
voted “Yes” despite the process being labeled a “sham” by most observers.

Since Than Shwe seized power in 1992, he has relegated his colleagues and
opponents ruthlessly if he suspected they were not loyal to him. In 2004,
he purged former Prime Minister Gen Khin Nyunt and his supporters for
disobeying him. Khin Nyunt has been under house arrest ever since.

____________________________________
ON THE BORDER

October 2, Irrawaddy
Monk escapes from Lantalang Prison – Saw Yan Naing

A 28-year-old Burmese Buddhist monk, Ashin Pannasiri, has successfully
escaped from Lantalang Prison in Chin State and arrived in Delhi, India,
after 13 days.

Ashin Pannasiri said he climbed over two barbwire fences at about 1 am on
September 16, when two security guards slept.

“When I climbed the posts, my hands and legs were scraped by barbwire. It
was very painful, but I didn’t care about that,” he said. “I only cared
about my life.”

In the days following his escape, he traveled alone and was unsure where
the roads led. He survived by eating vegetables and fruit.

“I ate fruit wherever I found it the jungle, and I drank water from
streams,” he said.

The monk crossed crossed into India at the Mizoram border. During the
trip, he said he avoided local residents around Mizoram, fearing arrest
and punishment.

“When they [local residents] saw me, they followed me,” he said. “I was
afraid of them because I heard that strangers there can be killed or
seriously punished if arrested.

Burmese authorities began searching for Ashin Pannasiri in late 2007
during the time of the civil uprising because of his close relationship
with leading pro-democracy monks, including monk U Gambira, who is now in
Insein Prison in Rangoon.

Ashin Pannasiri was affiliated with Yangon Monastery Maha Koe Su Taik in
Pyigyitagun Township in Mandalay Division. When he learned he was wanted
by authorities, he said he moved north to Monywa Township in Sagaing
Division to escape arrest.

However, he was arrested on October 18, 2007, at an Internet shop in
Monywa Township.

He said he was tortured by authorities, both physically and mentally,
during interrogation.

“They [authorities] interrogated me from 18 through 20 October. They first
asked me to stand up and squat repeatedly. They tied my hands behind my
back and pushed and kicked me. They beat my face with an army boot when
they asked each question.”

“Finally, I couldn’t control my mind, and there was no option for me. I
thought about suicide,” he said.

On October 24, 2007, he was sent to Monywa Prison in Sagaing Division
where he spent seven months. On January 18, 2008, he was sentenced to
three years imprisonment. Authorities charged him with multiple offenses,
including possession of illegal foreign currency.

In mid-May 2008, he was moved to Kale Prison in Sagaing Division where he
spent a few weeks before being sent to Lantalang Prison.

On September 15, the day before he escaped from Lantalang, he was again
questioned by authorities. He said that following the interrogation, he
realized he would be sent back to Kale Prison with “double punishment,”
convincing him he had no option but to try to escape.

Ashin Pannasiri is now staying with friends in Dehli. He said he plans to
continue to struggle for freedom and peace in Burma while in exile.

“I want to urge all monks inside and outside Burma to fight against
ah-dhamma (injustice) and maintain the dhamma (justice) policy,” he said.

____________________________________
BUSINESS / TRADE

October 2, Agence France Presse
Myanmar to boost tourism with seaside airport at cyclone scene

Myanmar authorities are building a seaside airport in the southwest region
laid waste by a cyclone five months ago, a local weekly paper reported
Wednesday.

They hope to boost tourism at Ngwesaung beach, in the country's Irrawaddy
delta near the Bay of Bengal, 7Day said.

"The hotel authorities in Ngwesaung beach said an airport with an
8,000-feet (2,400-metre) long runway is under construction now at the
beach," the paper said.

Ngwesaung beach, opened in 2000, is 240 kilometres (150 miles) from the
main city Yangon, in the middle of the area left devastated by Cyclone
Nargis, which struck May 2-3 and left 138,000 people dead or missing.

The beach attracts foreign tourists looking for budget deals according to
one tour operator.

"Spanish and Italian tourists are more interested in Ngwesaung beach as
the hotel rates there are lower than at Ngapali beach," a tour company
operation manager told AFP, referring to a beach in Rakhine state already
accessible by air and speaking on condition of anonymity.

"But recently the road has been very bad since the Nargis cyclone and
because of the rainy season," she said.

Ngwesaung beach has 20 hotels providing 800 guest rooms according to
official statistics.

Construction of the airport began in the third week of September, the
report said.
____________________________________

October 2, Mizzima News
Llyod's writes to all agents to 'reconsider' business deals with Burma –
Solomon

UK's leading insurance marketplace, Lloyd's of London, said it has written
to all its managing agents to reconsider their business involvement with
Burma's military junta.
Louise Shield, Head of Communications of Lloyd's, told Mizzima that the
marketplace's chairman has received a letter from the British Government's
Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) stating its disapproval over the
market's involvement with Burma.

"We have been asking the government for guidance on doing business in
Burma, and now we have received a letter. And we are writing to all our
managing agents," Shield said.

But Shield said, the market's businesses in Burma are not significant and
pulling out of the country will not have much impact on the market.

"We have very small amount of insurance business [in Burma]," said Shield.
"Probably there is no significant effect in our business."

The response of Lloyd's of London, a leading marketplace in England
dealing in reinsurance business, came after campaigners urged several
insurance companies across the world to stop dealing with the Burmese
military junta, as the regime is profiting from them.

Burma Campaign UK, a group advocating for human rights and democracy in
Burma, has named 16 insurance companies including Lloyd's of London,
Hannover Re, Catlin, Atrium, XL, Tokio Marine, Sompo Japan and Mitsui
Sumitomo as groups having business dealings with the junta.

BCUK, in its report 'Insuring the generals' released in July said, these
companies and insurers are providing billions of dollars to the Burmese
military regime that is infamously known for repressing its citizens.

Johnny Chatterton, Campaigns Officer of BCUK said, "We welcome the impact
of the government's letter, they [Lloyd's of London] now have to write to
the entire marketplace."

Chatterton said, while a few other leading insurance companies of the
world have pulled out of Burma, Lloyd's has turned a deaf ear to the call
made by him and his colleagues to cut all business ties with Burma's
military regime.

In August, two of the world's leading insurance companies Chubb and XL
capitals announced a stop to all business deals with Burma's military
government in response to the BUCK's campaign.

"The British government clearly wants them to pull out, we want them to
pull out," said Chatterton adding that the Burmese regime could lose tens
of millions of Dollars if the Lloyd's stop insuring oil and natural gas in
the Southeast Asian nation.

BCUK, however, said Lloyd's refusal to reveal the contents of the FCO's
letter indicates that it wants to hide its involvement in Burma.

While admitting that Lloyd's has received a letter from the FCO, Shield
said they cannot reveal the contents as it is "Private".

BCUK warned that avoiding to act in accordance with the letter would be
breaking the government's guidelines and damaging their own reputation.

"If they don't end their involvement in Burma soon they will be branded by
Burma in the same way that Barclays was in Apartheid South Africa and
Exxon with climate change," Chatterton said in a press statement released
on Monday.

"We warmly welcome the government's firm stand against Lloyd's, they
should continue their leading role by pushing for targeted EU sanctions
banning the provision of insurance services to Burma," Chatterton added.

____________________________________
HEALTH / AIDS

October 2, Mizzima News
Breastfeeding, safest for infants – Nem Davies

To avoid any danger to the health of children from tainted milk, the World
Health Organisation and the UN Children's fund (UNICEF) on Wednesday urged
Burmese mother's to fall back on breastfeeding for children below six
months.
The Burmese Ministry of Health (MoH) and the two UN agencies in a joint
action plan for safety of infants below six months, have advised parents
to avoid using any kind of milk powder but to rely on breast feeding.

Anna K. Stechert, UNICEF's Communication Specialist told Mizzima,
"Breast-feeding is the single most effective and the safest way to feed
infants and young children. And as a matter of principle UNICEF does not
promote any breast milk substitute, Chinese or otherwise."

The announcement of the joint action plan came a day after Burma's
military government ran a warning message on its mouth-piece newspaper on
the use of tainted milk. The warning, however, did not mention that
Chinese sourced milk have been found to contain the chemical melamine,
which is used in plastic.

But on Wednesday, the joint statement said the Burmese government is
taking prompt action in response to the spread of contaminated milk powder
in the country's market. The statement also said the government is also
conducting search and test for possible contaminated milk in the markets.

"UNICEF does advocacy against the use of breast milk substitutes as it
exposes children to diarrhoea through contaminated water that may be used
in mixing the infant formula, or it may induce malnutrition caused by
diluted milk," Anna said.

Meanwhile, contaminated milk powder in China has caused at least four
deaths among children and over 52,000 to fall ill. The Chinese government
has closed-down 22 dairy firms, whose milk products are found containing
the chemical melamine.

So far, Burma, which shares a porous border with China through which legal
and illegal Chinese made goods enters Burma, has not reported any instance
of children falling sick after consuming the contaminated milk powder.

The joint statement also said the three groups will continue working
closely to facilitate private sectors' understanding and cooperation to
keep the Code on Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes, which includes no
advertising of breast milk substitutes to families, no promotion or no
free distribution of products through health care facilities and no words
or pictures idealizing artificial feeding.

Despite the efforts, shopkeepers in Burma's former capital Rangoon and
second largest city of Mandalay said, they have not received any notice
from authorities to stop the sale of milk powder.

____________________________________
REGIONAL

October 2, Mizzima News
'The Revolving Door': Plight of Burmese refugees in Malaysia – Zarni

In the first ever instance of highlighting the lives of refugees,
particularly Burmese, Malaysian rights campaigners have launched a new
book compiling eight stories on the pathetic situation of Burmese
refugees.

The book titled, 'The Revolving Door', highlights the precarious state
that Burmese refugees are in, in Malaysia while seeking refuge from
persecution in their home country – Burma.

Dr. Irene Fernandez, author of the book, which was launched on Saturday,
said, "I wrote this book as we need to present the responsibilities and
understanding of the Malaysians, and also the international community to
know more about violence towards these people."

Dr. Fernandez, in her book highlights the need for Malaysians to
understand refugees and other foreign workers in their land. She said
Burmese refugees and other foreign workers are often subjected to
deportation from the border on arrest by the Malaysian authorities.

In the process of deportation of the refugees from the Malaysian border,
the refugees are exposed and are vulnerable to human traffickers, who wait
for Malaysian authorities to deport them and then charge a huge sum of
money to help them get back into Malaysia, she said.

"This situation that the refugees are facing is like a revolving door, so
I named the book 'The Revolving Door'," Dr, Fernandez told Mizzima.

According to her, most refugees, including women, children, pregnant women
and elders, once arrested by Malaysian authorities are deported to the
Thai-Malay border after the courts take a decision. And right at the
border, the refugees are met by human traffickers, who demand huge sums of
money to help them go back in.

Most often the refugees are charged between 1300 and 2000 Malaysian
Ringgits (377 to 581 US Dollar) by the traffickers.

Dr. Fernandez hopes the book, which compiles eight stories of Burmese
refugees, will bring about a better understanding about the lives and
struggles of refugees and foreign workers in Malaysia.

"We hope that there will be some changes from this. Once people read this
book they will understand these poor people and may think for them and
they could recognize the refugees," said Dr. Fernandez.

Malaysia, an emerging economic tiger of Southeast Asia, in recent years
has become a destination for many refugees and migrant workers from
regional countries including Burma, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Philippines,
Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Nepal.

According to the Kuala Lumpur based Burma Workers' Rights Protection
Committee, Malaysia hosts at least 400,000 refugees and migrants from
Burma alone.

Meanwhile, Burmese refugees and migrant workers said with the continued
harassment by Malaysian Volunteer Corps known as RELA, the book would
bring some light on the plight they have long suffered.

"We welcome this book both for Burmese refugees and Burmese migrant
workers. We feel like it is a ray of hope for Burmese in Malaysia, who are
out of range of protection both from workers' rights and human rights
groups," said Ye Min Htun, Secretary of BWRPC.

According to Burmese workers and refugees, they are often raided by RELA
groups and are randomly arrested even if they hold legal work permits or
refugee recognition certificates issued by the United Nations refugee
agency (UNHCR).

The Burmese then are forcibly imprisoned in detention camps and are
sentenced for deportation.

Dr. Fernandez said her book urges the Malaysian government to recognise
the Burmese refugees and stop violating their rights.

"We would also like to urge the international community to respond on this
horrific situation of Burmese refugees in Malaysia," Dr. Fernandez added.

Dr. Fernandez was awarded 'The Right Livelihood Award' in 2005 for her
courageous and outstanding work against human rights violations. The award
was established in 1980 by Jakob von Uexkull, and is presented annually,
usually on December 9, to honour those 'working on practical and exemplary
solutions to the most urgent challenges facing the world today'.

In 1995, Dr. Fernandez was arrested by Malaysian authorities and charged
with 'maliciously publishing false news' on the abuse of the rights of
migrant workers, malnutrition, physical and sexual abuses, the appalling
working conditions of workers and for presenting facts about the situation
in detention camps, where many migrant workers end up and die.

Despite being on bail pending an appeal, she - the founder of Tenaganita
organization, courageously carries on her work to stand for the rights of
refugees and foreign workers.

____________________________________
OPINION / OTHER

October 2, Irrawaddy
Burma stonewalls at the UN – Editorial

At the UN General Assembly in New York on Monday, Burmese Foreign Minister
Nyan Win tried to appease countries concerned with Burma’s political
deadlock and repression of dissidents, maintaining the regime’s "roadmap
to democracy" offers the best chance for a return to civilian rule.

He said nothing about freedom for political prisoners, including Burma's
democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, and or a willingness to talk to the
political opposition, a point raised by the UN’s ad hoc "Group of Friends
of Myanmar" two days earlier.

On Saturday, on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly ministerial
session, the group, which includes the Association of Southeast Asian
Nations (Asean), the European Union, the United States, Russia, China,
Britain and France, called on the junta to cooperate with the UN. The
Security Council has also demanded that the military regime release all
political prisoners, talk with pro-democracy groups, open up the political
process and end human rights abuses.

Paradoxically, the Burmese foreign minister never referred to such calls.
Instead, he demanded the international community, notably the United
States and EU countries, lift "unjustified" economic sanctions, which he
said, "hurt the development and progress of Burma’s people."

Nyan Win noted that Burma’s constitution was approved by a national
referendum in May this year—a referendum held without independent
observers—and the next step on the junta's "roadmap to democracy" would
take place with national elections in 2010.

Obliquely responding to the General Assembly ministers, he said only that
"the international community can best assist Myanmar's [Burma’s]
democratization process by respecting the will of its people."

Respecting the will of the Burmese people?

In fact, the Burmese regime has jailed nearly 2,000 political prisoners,
along with the world's only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient.
If the regime has the will to promote a genuine transition to an elected
civilian government, now is the time to create the political preconditions
to allow the public to participate in the process without restraint.

Included in the process would be the release of all political prisoners,
including Suu Kyi and detained ethnic leaders.

Thus far, it’s clear the generals lack the will to compromise with
opposition groups, most notably the National League for Democracy and its
allies who swept the majority of parliamentary seats in the voided 1990
election.

For two decades, the needs of the Burmese people have gone unmet.

Now is the time for the UN, Asean and the international community to push
the generals harder than ever before to open up the political, economic
and social life of the country by participating in meaningful dialogue
with opposition groups and ethnic leaders.
____________________________________

October 2, Mizzima News
Burma's economy: Do sanctions hinder development? – Mungpi

Poverty and the slow-pace of economic development in Burma, which was once
known as the 'Rice Bowl' of Southeast Asia, is not the result of the
current economic sanctions imposed by western nations but because of the
ruling junta's mismanagement and inept economic decision making, said an
economic expert.

Sean Turnell, Associate Professor and member of the Burma Economic Watch,
at the Economics Department of Macquarie University in Sydney said he
disagrees with the Burmese Foreign Minister's statement that sanctions
have hindered economic development in Burma.

Nyan Win, in his address to the UN General Assembly in New York on Monday,
called for an end to what he described as 'immoral sanctions' against his
country, saying sanctions hamper economic development and harm the people.

Nyan Win, in his speech, said sanctions are "unwarranted," and "They are
not only unfair but immoral. They are counter-productive and deprive
countries of their right to development."

But Sean, a long time observer of Burmese economy, said Burma's economy is
hardest hit by the junta's mismanagement and its self-imposed isolation.

"Burma's poverty is not a result of sanctions, but 45 years of
extraordinarily inept economic decision making by Burma's military
regimes," Sean said in an email to Mizzima.

He added that the regime has self-imposed sanctions by creating an
economic environment that makes international investment, in true
productive industry, utterly impossible.

The United States and the European Union have recently stepped up
sanctions against Burma's military government for its suppression of
pro-democracy groups and its refusal to improve the situation of human
rights including the release of political prisoners.

However, the Burmese Foreign Minister, in his speech said, for Burma to be
able to implement economic development, it needs "unfettered access" to
markets, modern technology and investment, which according to him has been
deprived to Burma due to the imposition of sanctions.

"The sooner the unjust sanctions are revoked and the barriers removed, the
sooner will the country be in a position to become the rice bowl of the
region and a reliable source of energy," he added.

Economic development without sanctions?

Aung Naing Oo, a Burmese analyst based in Thailand, said while lifting
economic sanctions cannot improve Burma's economy over-night, it will,
however, allow space for development in the long-run.

According to him, Burma, which has been isolated for nearly half a century
and suffered nearly two decades of economic sanctions, a 'command economy'
is prevailing, whereby the ruling generals dictate the economy and provide
opportunities only to their cronies.

He said, therefore, lifting sanctions and allowing free flow of direct
foreign investments, in the long run, would help open up new space for
development as well as create new political space.

He added that economic sanctions, which the opposition group led by Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi have called for and was imposed by the US and EU, does
not encourage political reconciliation in Burma.

The Burmese junta is annoyed with the west because of the sanctions but
are even more so on the opposition led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi for urging
the west to impose sanctions, he said.

"[T]here has been a sore relationship between the junta and the
opposition. So, international sanctions are an obstacle to
reconciliation," Aung Naing Oo said.

However, he said, unless the junta drops its 'Command Economy', cronyism,
and corruption, lifting sanctions will not help in developing the economy.

But Nyo Ohn Myint, the foreign affairs in-charge of the National League
for Democracy – Liberated Area (NLD-LA), said sanctions have its causes
and effects, but the deteriorating economic situation in Burma is mainly
caused by the junta's corruption, nepotism and cronyism.

Nyo Ohn Myint, who closely monitors Burmese economy, said western
sanctions does not put on hold the possibility of foreign investment,
which mostly are from neighbouring countries including members of the
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).

But he said, Burma failed to attract foreign investors due to the lack of
political stability, and transparency, which investors see as an unhealthy
atmosphere for business deals.

"Despite the sanctions, we see that Burma's bilateral trade with
neighbouring countries like India and China are increasing," Nyo Ohn Myint
said.

Even with sanctions imposed by US and EU, there are several companies
still operating in Burma, Nyo Ohn Myint said, but he added that that the
junta's failure to demonstrate stability and mismanagement of the economy
has slowed down Burma's economic development.

According to Sean, sanctions by any means are "not a full solution" they
are, however, useful in an array of strategies.

"Often overlooked is that sanctions can be an avenue, through their
progressive lifting, for sponsoring genuine reforms," he added.

Despite the sanctions Burma has several opportunities to implement
economic development, Sean said, adding that Burma can still "bring about
wholesale reform - especially in the areas of property rights and rational
decision-making."

But under the current circumstance corporates and companies are "hardly
going to invest in a place where expropriation is a real possibility,
where poverty is such that a viable market is barely achievable, and where
corruption imposes such high a 'tax' on genuine activity," Sean said.

____________________________________

October 2, Irish Times
One year on in Burma

INTERNATIONAL commemorations marking last year’s brutal suppression of the
popular revolt against Burma’s generals in recent days have had to
acknowledge the disappointing progress made since then in putting pressure
on them to relax their military rule. Precious little has been achieved
through United Nations and regional diplomacy or by economic sanctions.
The regime remains firmly in control of Burma and has even been given some
political leeway by certain external powers.

Last year’s events were the most important eruption of street protests
against the regime since the ill-fated democracy uprising of 1988. They
were originally provoked in mid-August by sudden increases in
government-controlled prices of diesel fuel and compressed natural gas. At
the beginning of September members of the security forces attacked a
demonstration involving Buddhist monks, provoking a much broader
nationwide protest movement over the following three weeks, in which the
clergy took a leading part. As it developed calls were made for political
and economic reform, culminating in demands that the regime be overthrown
and democracy restored. Huge demonstrations raised such hopes.

It was not to be. On September 26th soldiers and police opened fire on a
large demonstration in Rangoon and went on to raid monasteries, arrest
demonstrators and put down public protests with tear gas, baton charges
and lethal force. At least 31 people died and over 3,000 were arrested,
most of whom are still in jail. Within a few days the population was cowed
and in fearful retreat. This rapid collapse of this popular movement shows
it was more spontaneous than centrally directed. Unfortunately there was
not time to develop a more long-lasting and organised leadership, and it
looks as though the military is fully back in control.

Four strands of external pressure have been applied to Burma since then.
United Nations secretary general Ban Ki-moon’s special envoy Ibrahim
Gambari has visited the country a number of times, but has made little
progress on political prisoners or human rights, including release of the
opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi. Neighbouring Asian states initially
held out the promise of engaging the regime in political dialogue, but
have not followed it up. Economic sanctions from the US and the EU are
ineffective. This policy vacuum has given India, Russia and China – all
with special interests in Burma’s energy resources – an opening to
encourage the regime’s highly disputed plans to hold controlled elections
in 2010. It is a bleak and depressing picture.
____________________________________

October 2, The Times of India
‘Militant monks’ or agents of change? – Shobhan Saxena

As bombs spill blood on streets and hate preachers torch churches in some
dark corners of India, the country is slowly and nervously warming up for
he next general elections, unsure of the forces that will be at work when
the nation goes to polls. Though the election drama in India never lacks
colour, adding some extra zing this time will be Buddhist bhikshus in
ochre robes.

With BSP supremo Mayawati already staking claim for the post of PM even
before a single vote has been cast, the army of neo-Buddhist monks is
getting ready to carry out the final assault on behalf of the party whose
base is expanding fast.

So, is the Buddhist clergy in India turning political? Some indications
were visible at the Mahalaxmi Race Course in Mumbai in May last year when
thousands of tribals and Dalits converted to Buddhism at a gathering of
100,000 people, marking the 50th year of B R Ambedkar’s conversion to
Buddhism. The slogans raised at the rally clearly indicated that there was
a political agenda behind this social change. And the monks spoke on
politics as well as dharma, clearly indicating that the clergy will not
shy from playing a political role in the future.

In fact, this is a pattern that has been emerging across Asia in recent
years. In Thailand, monks led a revolt against the corrupt regime of
Thaksin Shinawatra; in Myanmar, thousands of them walked the streets,
challenging the brutal junta; in China, they used the occasion of the
Olympics to draw the world’s attention to the plight of Tibetans. So
active have they been in Asia’s restive regions that some sceptics have
called them “monks with guns” and “militant monks”, and wondered if the
world’s quietest religion is turning radical.

The monks beg to differ. “When we just sit in the monasteries, some people
call us parasites, and when we take part in political work they say we are
turning militant. It’s not fair,” says Lobsang, a Tibetan monk. In Tibet,
says Lobsang, the monks and the people always had a symbiotic
relationship. “While the community took care of the material needs of the
monasteries, the monks looked after the community’s spiritual needs,” he
says, adding that their political action is an extension of their
spiritual role.

In fact, it was the excesses of the junta in Myanmar that forced the monks
to come out of their monasteries. “When people are suppressed by
dictators, it’s the duty of monks to give them hope and lead them,” says
Zaw Mying, a Burmese monk now living in exile in India.

There are no dictators in India, but the monks here are getting ready for
a political battle. “Buddhism is the only way to liberate ourselves from
the caste system. And political action is the way to empower the Dalits,”
says Bhikshu Sadanand, a Dalit from eastern UP. As Mayawati erects
Buddhist landmarks throughout UP, including a $250-million bronze Buddha
at Kushinagar, the stage is set for a new kind of political activism, this
time in the land of Buddha.