BurmaNet News, December 8, 2010

Editor editor at burmanet.org
Wed Dec 8 16:22:57 EST 2010

December 8, 2010 Issue #4099

INSIDE BURMA
Mizzima: Suu Kyi urges independents to join NLD in social work
DPA: Aung San Suu Kyi gives robes to monks, nuns in Buddhist rite

ON THE BORDER
Bangkok Post: Burma reopens Three Pagodas checkpoint after two-year closure

BUSINESS / TRADE
DVB: Ukraine ‘ceases’ arms sales to Burma

REGIONAL
PTI: Aung San Suu Kyi for more active role by India for democracy in Myanmar

INTERNATIONAL

OPINION / OTHER
Irrawaddy: Second Panglong would do 'more harm than good': State media
Nation (Thailand): Thailand's policy on war refugees under scrutiny –
Editorial
New Light of Myanmar: Figures of multiparty democracy general elections
for respective hluttaws announced
New Light of Myanmar: Like putting a small boat in a larger one – Ko Myanmar

____________________________________
INSIDE BURMA

December 8, Mizzima News
Suu Kyi urges independents to join NLD in social work – Khaing Suu

New Delhi – National League for Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi
yesterday urged three independent candidates who failed to win seats in
national elections on November 7 to collaborate with the NLD in its social
work.

She met with Kaung Myint Htut, a candidate for the People’s Assembly seat
of South Okkalapa Township in Rangoon; Dr. Saw Naing, who stood for the
States and Divisions Assembly seat of South Okkalapa; and Zaw Min Thein,
who contested the States and Divisions Assembly seat of Lemyethna Township
in Irrawaddy Division; at NLD headquarters in Bahan Township, on Tuesday
morning

“Aung San Suu Kyi said what the NLD would do for national reconciliation
and urged the ethnic minorities to participate in establishing a political
network and the individual candidates to co-operate in doing social work,”
NLD spokesman Ohn Kyaing said.

He added that dentist Saw Naing was interested in providing the poor with
medical treatment free of charge in co-operation with the NLD and that
Kaung Myint Htut said he was ready to work with the party.

Suu Kyi on November 19 had met the other 11 of 14 independent candidates
who stood for elections last month, during which they agreed to co-operate
with the NLD to help people living with HIV.

She also met two leaders of an ethnic Palaung political party, Ohn Kyaing
said.

However, the National Democratic Force (NDF), a faction that broke away
from the NLD to contest the elections, was having less success gaining
access to the pro-democracy leader.

NDF leader Khin Maung Swe said his party had tried twice in vain to meet
Suu Kyi.
“We have sent two request letters to meet Aung San Suu Kyi but the NLD
said it had not received the letters. I think there are some people who
intervened to prevent us from meeting her,” he said.

But Thein Oo, responsible for arranging Aung San Suu Kyi’s agenda, said:
“We did not receive their letters. If we’d received them, they would have
a chance to meet [her]
I don’t know where the letters were sent.”

Suu Kyi also received Polish journalists at party headquarters yesterday
and diplomats from Denmark and Thailand at her University Avenue home last
night.

While meeting Thailand’s ambassador to Burma, Apirath Vienravi, Suu Kyi
received a friendly call from Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, Ohn
Kyaing said.

____________________________________

December 8, Deutsche Presse-Agentur
Aung San Suu Kyi gives robes to monks, nuns in Buddhist rite

Yangon, Myanmar — Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Wednesday
took part in public religious services for the first time since her
release from house arrest.

Suu Kyi offered donations of robes to about 700 Buddhist monks and 200
nuns gathered in front of the headquarters of her National League for
Democracy (NLD).

"We (usually) make this activity every Tuesday, but we moved it to
Wednesday this week because Daw Suu (Aunt Suu) was not free on Tuesday
because she was sending her son off to the airport," an NLD member said.

Suu Kyi's youngest son Kim Aris, 33, returned to Bangkok on Tuesday after
a two-week visit to his mother in Yangon.

Aris, who lives in Britain, was allowed to visit his mother for the first
time in a decade following her release from house arrest on Nov. 13.

"I saw an old monk dropping tears from his eyes when she offered a robe to
him. Then the monk gave back jasmine flowers to her," a witness told
German Press Agency dpa after Wednesday's rite.

Suu Kyi, 65, enjoys wide support among the Myanmar population although she
has been kept from public view under house arrest for 15 of the past 21
years.

Since her release, she has kept up a busy schedule of meetings with
supporters, friends and family.

She spent Monday with Malaysian-born Hollywood actress Michelle Yeoh, who
portraying her in a French film, Dans La Lumiere (Into the Light), due for
release next year.

On Tuesday, U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Joseph Yon met with
political party and non-government organization leaders.

He was the first high-ranking U.S. official to visit Myanmar since the
country's first elections in two decades on November 7, which the ruling
junta won amid accusations of restricting the opposition's participation.

Yon was scheduled to meet with junta's officials in the administrative
capital Naypyitaw later Wednesday and was due to meet Suu Kyi on Friday
before departing.

____________________________________
ON THE BORDER

December 8, Bangkok Post
[...]

December 8, Democratic Voice of Burma
Ukraine ‘ceases’ arms sales to Burma – Joseph Allchin

A leaked 2009 cable from the US embassy in Kiev says that Washington
successfully petitioned the Ukrainian government to stop selling arms to
the Burmese military.

“[The Ukraine] had received the US demarche and was no longer exporting
weapons to Burma”, said the 11 September 2009 cable, released on Monday by
the whistleblower website, Wikileaks.

The Ukrainians have had a solid arms dealing history with Burma, described
in the cable as “deliberate Ukrainian government actions that are contrary
to US philosophy on exports”, despite the US being the world’s largest
arms dealer.

Ukrainian weapons assistance for the pariah Southeast Asian state includes
help for the Myanmar Integrated Air Defence System (MIADS), which has also
been aided by Chinese and Russian input.

According to Amnesty International, Kiev signed a $US500 million contract
in 2004 to supply some 1000 BTR-3U light-armoured personnel carriers (APC)
to Burma, the same year that state-owned UkrSpetsExport set up office in a
Rangoon hotel.

The APCs compliment an alleged 2003 deal for a consignment of Soviet T-72
battle tanks, which the cable claims the Ukrainians have stopped selling
to southern Sudan “despite US satellite photos to the contrary.”

Benjamin Zawacki, Burma researcher at Amnesty International, told DVB that
“there is no way of verifying whether or not the Ukrainians have indeed
ceased selling arms
and we certainly have anecdotal evidence that that
this hasn’t happened”.

Amnesty also alleges that Ukraine assisted in the construction of a small
arms-producing factory in Burma, while the cable expresses concern about
Ukrainian “specialty steel” exports to Iran for missile technology.

It reports however that Kiev told the US in 2008 that “Ukrainian exports
to Burma were ‘as good as zero’ in part due to previous US warnings, and
Ukraine had not signed any new contracts with Burma in the last two and a
half years. Current exports were just spare parts. The remaining business
was so small that the company involved had recalled all of its workers
from Burma”.

Amnesty indicates however that Ukraine is, along with China, Russia,
Serbia and Singapore, one of the top five arms dealers to the Burmese
junta. But this is by no means an exclusive group, as countries such as
Israel, Pakistan and India all add to the list.

“We certainly welcome it if it were true but I greet it with some
scepticism,” Zawacki says. “But I would love to see some sort of official
statement to that effect.”

____________________________________
REGIONAL

December 8, Press Trust of India
Aung San Suu Kyi for more active role by India for democracy in Myanmar

Myanmar's democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi wants India to play a "more
active" role in democratisation of her country and to "engage more" with
her opposition party.

65-year-old Suu Kyi also said that India must live up to the reputation of
being the biggest democracy in the world and not be dictated by its
commercial interests in Myanmar.

Commenting on India's growing economic-driven engagement with the military
regime, the opposition leader said she was not against India's engagement
with Than Shwe's ruling military regime but wanted India to play an active
role in democratisation of Myanmar and have parleys with her National
league for Democracy party.

"We would like India to play a more active role in trying to help in the
process of democratisation of Burma and I would like the Indian government
to engage more with us... who are working more with democracy," the Nobel
peace laureate said in the interview on phone from Yangon.

Suu Kyi India's foreign policy towards her country was dictated by it's
"commercial side" and urged the world's largest democracy to live up to
its reputation by engaging with her pro-democratic party.

"India's role in previous decades has been aided firmly by its reputation
as the biggest democracy and it has taken pride in this, but, perhaps,
more attention has turned towards the commercial side," she said.

Suu Kyi said she expected the Indian government "to look beyond this
commercial kind of view when it comes to Myanmar."

Suu Kyi, who lived in India in the 1980s, was released in Yangon on
November 13 after spending more than seven consecutive years in detention.

Once a strong supporter of Suu Kyi, India began engaging the Myanmar's
military ruler in the mid-1990s as security, energy and strategic needs
appeared to override concerns over democracy and human rights.

India is eager to boost its investment in gas and hydro-electricity
projects in Myanmar and is eyeing oil and gas fields and fears losing out
to China in the race for strategic space in Asia. It also counted on the
military junta's help to counter ethnic separatists operating along their
remote eastern common border.

In July this year, India welcomed Myanmar's reclusive military leader
General Than Shwe for a state visit and offered a grant of 60 million
dollars to build a road connecting Myanmar with Mizoram and pledged 10
million dollars for the purchase of modern agricultural equipment.

US President Barack Obama, during his trip to New Delhi in November,
criticised India for failing to condemn human rights abuses in Myanmar but
India justified its policy as being governed by "strategic interest" and
"political compulsion" in the region.

The daughter of Myanmar's assassinated reforms hero General Aung San was
released less than a week after the first election in 20 years, dismissed
by many as a sham for cementing the military regime's grip on power.

Suu Kyi was critical of the recent election process in Myanmar conducted
by the military regime and stated that "she was disillusioned over the
form of government."

"General Thang shwe did not contest elections. So, he has not been elected
as a leader.Elections have much to be desired in Myanmar. The most
optimistic people have said that the election process was deeply flawed
and there are many many questions on the outcome of the elections".

Underscoring the importance of the military junta holding a dialogue with
her party, she said, "Once they start a dialogue, we can exchange views
and discuss ahead."

Suu Kyi, who became the torch bearer of Myanmar's democratic struggle in
1988 and has been forcefully confined to her estate several times since
then, added that freedom had a different meaning to her.

"Being released and being free are two different things. We still have
many political prisoners who have to be freed and there are too many
restrictions on our people. All this has to change before saying that yes,
we are free," She said.

One of the tasks she has been fervently involved in since her release has
been to expand the network of her party, declared illegal, and get on the
dialogue table with other pro-freedom groups in Myanmar.

"First of all, we are trying to expand the network of our party and for
that we need to also secure the freedom of numerous other political
prisoners. We will need to work with other pro-freedom groups too. What I
see around me is a lot of suffering among the people of Myanmar," she said
outlining her action plan.

With Myanmar having no other pro-democratic face but Suu Kyi's for over
two decades, she indicated that the next in command would be someone from
within the party but clearly ruled out that her son Kim Aris, 33, would
follow her footsteps.

"I do not believe in family hierarchy in politics and I think I have many
many heirs within the party and other democratic forces. My son is not
involved in politics", Suu Kyi said.

____________________________________
INTERNATIONAL

US House praises Chinese Nobel laureate
By Olivier Knox (AFP) – 3 hours ago

WASHINGTON — In a move sure to stoke China's anger, US lawmakers voted
overwhelming Wednesday to honor Nobel Peace Prize laureate Liu Xiaobo and
called on Beijing to free the jailed champion of democratic reforms.

The House of Representatives approved the symbolic message by a 402-1
margin, congratulating Liu and honoring his "promotion of democratic
reform in China, and the courage with which he has borne repeated
imprisonment."

The measure also urged President Barack Obama -- due to host his Chinese
counterpart, Hu Jintao, for a state visit next month -- to keep pushing
Beijing to free Liu from prison and release his wife Liu Xia from house
arrest.

The Nobel Peace Prize was awarded in October to Liu, who was jailed in
December 2009 for 11 years on subversion charges after co-authoring
"Charter 08," a manifesto calling for democratic reform in one-party
China.

China has accused Norway, the Nobel committee's home, of undermining
relations and encouraging a "criminal." China has also pressured nations
not to attend the Nobel ceremony.

The US resolution also "calls on the government of China to cease
censoring media and Internet reporting of the award of the Nobel Peace
Prize to Liu Xiaobo and to cease its campaign of defamation against Liu
Xiaobo."

And it asserts that "in honoring Liu Xiaobo, it also honors all those who
have promoted democratic reform in China, including all those who
participated in the 1989 Tiananmen Square demonstration for democratic
reform."

Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Republican Representative Chris
Smith, who crafted the resolution, were expected to attend the Nobel prize
ceremony in Norway on Friday.

Pelosi, a frequent critic of China's rights record, urged Liu's "immediate
and unconditional release" on Tuesday and said Washington must keep up
pressure on Beijing over expanding political and religious freedoms.

"We have many issues where we have common ground or where should seek
common ground. But all of that is better served by candor in our
friendship and not ignoring sore spots," she said in a speech in support
of the resolution.

Other leading lawmakers fired harsh criticism at China on Tuesday, noting
it was joining Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, and Myanmar's military junta
among countries that have blocked a Nobel peace prize winner from
receiving their award in person.

"China should be ashamed and China should be embarrassed to be in the
company of Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and Burma," Republican
Representative Frank Wolf said at a press conference with other lawmakers.

Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, the incoming Republican chair of the
House Foreign Affairs Committee, said Beijing must listen to critics of
its "warped political system" and demanded Liu and his wife be set free
"at once."

She noted that Nazi Germany blocked the 1935 laureate, Carl von Ossietzky,
from attending his award ceremony, while Moscow barred Soviet dissident
Andrei Sakharov in 1975, and Myanmar's military rulers stopped democracy
icon Aung San Suu Kyi from attending hers in 1991.

"Beijing now joins the ranks of the infamous Nazi regime and the
repressive Burmese junta in locking up a Nobel Peace prize winner," she
said, demanding "rulers of Beijing, have you no shame?"

____________________________________
OPINION / OTHER

December 8, Irrawaddy
Second Panglong would do 'more harm than good': State media – Htet Aung

In the first official response to recent calls for talks to address
Burma's ethnic divisions—billed as a “second Panglong Conference”—the
country's state-run media warned that such moves risk putting the
opposition on a collision course with the ruling regime.

In an article published on Wednesday, the Burmese-language Myanmar Ahlin
newspaper said that calls by pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and
others to revive the “Panglong spirit” would go against the junta's
current seven-step political road map and “bring more harm than good.”

Suu Kyi's father, independence leader Aung San, led the original Panglong
Conference in 1947, eventually reaching an agreement with Burma's ethnic
leaders that set the stage for an end to colonial rule the following year.

The agreement guaranteed ethnic nationalities the right to
self-determination within the framework of a federal union, but was
scrapped by Burma's military when it seized power in 1962.

“Parliament is the best place to strengthen the already gained national
unity,” the article said. “If they [the opposition] choose to follow this
idealistic way while ignoring the best way [parliament], they should be
aware that that it will bring more harm than good to the country.”

The article also warned that “without the Tatmadaw [armed forces], a
conference like the Panglong Conference will be manipulated by
organizations that oppose the government and its seven-step political road
map, even if it is carried out with good will.”

However, ethnic leaders denied that they are trying to exclude the Burmese
military from the process.

“The Panglong spirit is about achieving national unity, and this can't be
done without the Tatmadaw,” said Pu Cin Sian Thang, a spokesman for the
United Nationalities Alliance, a group consisting of ethnic
representatives who were elected in 1990 but never allowed to claim their
seats in parliament.

“From the time we first started discussing the idea of holding a second
Panglong Conference, we have never said that we wanted to exclude the
military from the process. The article is merely trying to distort our
message,” said Pu Cin Sian Thang, speaking to The Irrawaddy on Wednesday.

Although the article doesn't refer to Suu Kyi by name, she is widely seen
as a key figure in efforts to revive talks aimed at resolving Burma's
ethnic divisions.

Late last month, she agreed to work together with ethnic leaders after
they gave her a copy of the Kale Declaration, a document signed by 109
democratically elected politicians, including both Burmans and ethnic
minorities, that calls for what Suu Kyi described as “an ethnic conference
in conformity with the 21st century.”

Analysts say that the Burmese regime often uses the state-run media to
warn its opponents against following a course of action it disapproves of.
They said the article probably signaled that a crackdown is likely if
opposition leaders continue to pursue their plans to hold a Panglong-type
meeting.
____________________________________

December 8, The Nation (Thailand)
Thailand's policy on war refugees under scrutiny – Editorial

As fighting continues on the Burmese side of the border, Thailand keeps
sending back those who flee. This is not helping our international image

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that when you push refugees back to
a war zone, they will run to a safer place. But what happens in the case
when the war zone is in Burma and the only safe place is on the Thai side
of the border?

This is a tough decision indeed for a country that doesn't want to host
refugees but still wants to be seen in the eyes of the international
community as caring and compassionate. In a recent statement, a human
rights group called on Thailand to stop treating Burmese refugees, mainly
from the Karen minority, as "human ping-pong balls".

Since fighting erupted on the Burmese side of the border in November, more
than 20,000 Burmese people have escaped across the frontier into Thailand.
Some were forcibly returned within days to shells and bullets raining down
on them. Talk of pushing them back began even before the smoke from the
shelling had dissipated.

"People fleeing conflict in Burma are being treated like human ping-pong
balls - reluctantly allowed into Thailand when fighting flares, but then
returned to Burma at the first sign of quiet," said Human Rights Watch
deputy Asia director Elaine Pearson.

The November election has done nothing to change the Burmese junta's
tactic of "terrorising" civilians", Pearson said.

"Thailand should not return refugees until the risk to them in Burma truly
ends, but should allow them to stay in safe areas away from the border,
with access to protection services and assistance from humanitarian
agencies," she said.

Sporadic fighting at several points along the Thai-Burma border erupted
after a former ceasefire group, the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA),
briefly took over the town of Myawaddy, which is adjacent to Tak's Mae Sot
district, after the November 7 poll.

As in the past, neither the Burmese military government nor the rebels
showed much regard for the civilians caught in the middle of the fighting.
Sadly, Burma's history of warfare and insurgency has displayed very little
regard for civilians. Besides suffering from the war itself, many citizens
are forced into modern-day slavery or are locked up in jail for speaking
out against the government's abusive policies and tactics.

Even in neighbouring Thailand, Burmese migrant workers who take up jobs
that are shunned by most Thais get treated badly. Many of us don't seem to
realise that it is their back-breaking work and low pay that keeps
Thailand's economy that much more competitive. And yet, we pride ourselves
on our success, even as it is made possible by the sweat of others.

Labour policy is one thing, but what we urgently need at this moment is
better judgement on what to do with the refugees as the fighting inside
Burma continues.

If we think this border issue is going to end soon, think again. The
writing has been on the wall since last August when Burmese troops
attacked the ethnic Chinese Kokang rebels, effectively tearing up the
ceasefire agreement reached between the two sides in 1989. Smaller rebel
groups have been forced to surrender their weapons and come under the
regular Burmese army chain of command, but some of the major "ceasefire"
outfits such as the United Wa State Army (UWSA) and Kachin Independence
Army (KIA) have vowed to fight to protect their territory. The Wa have
three regiments on the Thai border, with about 100,000 villagers living
under their territory. If we think that 20,000 Karen refugees is a
headache, times this number by five. And then there are other possible
areas of conflict that could also lead to a refugee overspill.

Civil war has torn Burma apart since its independence in 1948, and
military rule since 1962 has not made things better. Ceasefire agreements
are signed, only to be torn up again. In the months leading up to the
poll, the junta demanded the various ethnic rebel groups surrender their
weapons and come under military control.

Unfortunately, in spite of decades of fighting and watching refugees
fleeing from the Burmese side for Thailand, the Thai authorities have yet
to figure out how to treat the refugees. Perhaps we should put ourselves
in their shoes and go from there.

____________________________________

December 8, New Light of Myanmar
Figures of multiparty democracy general elections for respective hluttaws
announced

Nay Pyi Taw – The Union Election Commission issued Notification No.
143/2010 today. The translation of the notification is as follows:-

The Union of Myanmar
Union Election Commission
Nay Pyi Taw
Notification No. 143/2010
1st Waxing of Nadaw, 1372 ME
(7 December, 2010)

Announcement on figures of multiparty democracy general elections for
respective hluttaws

1.         The Union Election Commission simultaneously held the
multiparty democracy general elections in 325 constituencies out of 330
constituencies of Pyithu Hluttaw, 168 constituencies of Amyotha Hluttaw,
and 661 constituencies out of 673 constituencies of Region or State
Hluttaws (including 29 constituencies for national races) in the Union on
7 November 2010, and has announced all representatives-elect of respective
constituencies for the hluttaws.

2.         The Union Election Commission submitted the report on
completion of the general elections held in line with the Election Law and
Rules to the State Peace and Development Council on 3-12-2010 according to
the respective election rules-106 for carrying out ongoing tasks in accord
with the provisions of the Constitution of the Republic of the Union of
Myanmar.

3.         The figures of the multiparty democracy general elections of
respective hluttaws that the people should know are announced as follows:-

(a) holding elections
(1) Pyithu Hluttaw
(aa) designated constituencies for election                 330
(bb) constituencies where elections were held            325
(cc) percentage of holding elections                           98.48%
(2) Amyotha Hluttaw
(aa) designated constituencies for election                 168
(bb) constituencies where elections were held            168
(cc) percentage of holding elections                           100%

(3)Region or State Hluttaw (including national races)
(aa) designated constituencies for election                 673
(bb) constituencies where elections were held            661
(cc) percentage of holding elections                           98.22%

(b) casting votes
(1) Pyithu Hluttaw
(aa) number of eligible voters                                     29021608
(bb) number of voters
22421123
(cc) percentage of casting votes                                  77.26%
(2) Amyotha Hluttaw
(aa) number of eligible voters                                     29021608
(bb) number of voters
22283465
(cc) percentage of casting votes                                  76.78%
(3) Region or State Hluttaws (including national races)
(aa) number of eligible voters                                     28534216
(bb) number of voters
21863123
(cc) percentage of casting votes                                  76.62%

(c) Valid votes
(1) Pyithu Hluttaw
(aa) number of voters
22421123
(bb) valid votes
20865161
(cc) percentage of valid votes                                     93.06%
(2) Amyotha Hluttaw
(aa) number of voters
22283465
(bb) valid votes
20851078
(cc) percentage of valid votes                                     93.57%
(3) Region or State Hluttaws (including national races)
(aa) number of voters
21863123
(bb) valid votes
20245157
(cc) percentage of valid votes                                     92.60%

(d) number of cancelled and lost ballots
(1) Pyithu Hluttaw
(aa) number of voters
22421123
 (bb) valid votes
20865161
(cc) number of cancelled and lost ballots                   1555962
(dd) percentage of cancelled and lost ballots             6.94%
(2) Amyotha Hluttaw
(aa) number of voters
22283465
(bb) valid votes
20851078
(cc) number of cancelled and lost ballots                   1432387
(dd) percentage of cancelled and lost ballots             6.43%
(3) Region or State Hluttaws (including national races)
(aa) number of voters
21863123
(bb) valid votes
20245157
(cc) number of cancelled and lost ballots                   1617966
(dd) percentage of cancelled and lost ballots             7.40%

(e) standing of candidates for elections
(1) Pyithu Hluttaw
(aa) number of
candidates                                                      989
(bb) number of candidates representing political parties        949
(cc) number of independent candidates                                 40
(dd) percentage of candidates representing political parties  95.96%
(ee) percentage of independent candidates                            4.04%
(2) Amyotha Hluttaw
(aa) number of
candidates                                                      479
(bb) number of candidates representing political parties        472
(cc) number of independent candidates                                 7
(dd) percentage of candidates representing political parties  98.54%
(ee) percentage of independent candidates                            1.46%
(3) Region or State Hluttaws (including national races)
(aa) number of
candidates                                                      1601
(bb) number of candidates representing political parties        1566
(cc) number of independent candidates                                 35
(dd) percentage of candidates representing political parties  97.81%
(ee) percentage of independent candidates                            2.19%
(f) election of candidates
(1) Pyithu Hluttaw
(aa) number of candidates representing political
parties                     949
(bb) number of representatives-elect representing political parties     324
(cc) percentage of elected
candidates                                                 34.14%
(2) Amyotha Hluttaw
(aa) number of candidates representing political
parties                     472
(bb) number of representatives-elect representing political parties     167
(cc) percentage of elected
candidates                                                 35.38%
(3) Region or State Hluttaws (including national races)
(aa) number of candidates representing political
parties                     1566
(bb) number of representatives-elect representing political parties     657
(cc) percentage of elected
candidates                                                 41.95%

(g) election of independent candidates
(1) Pyithu Hluttaw
(aa) number of independent
candidates                                             40
(bb) number of elected independent
candidates                                1
(cc) percentage of elected
candidates                                                 2.5%
(2) Amyotha Hluttaw
(aa) number of independent
candidates                                             7
(bb) number of elected independent
candidates                                1
(cc) percentage of elected
candidates                                                 14.29%
(3) Region or State Hluttaws (including national races)
(aa) number of independent
candidates                                             35
(bb) number of elected independent
candidates                                4
(cc) percentage of elected
candidates                                                 11.43%

Sd/Thein Soe
Chairman
Union Election Commission

____________________________________

December 8, New Light of Myanmar
Like putting a small boat in a larger one – Ko Myanmar

The State is like a large boat. It must have a government like the
captain, the administrative machinery like the boatmen, party
organizations like the navigator, people like the passengers, economic
forces like the rudder and the sails and economic infrastructures like the
hull. Only with these characteristics plus concerted efforts, can the boat
reach its destination smoothly. According to a political term, working
harmoniously with the characteristics of a nation means being politically
united.

However, like putting a small boat in a larger one, committing an act in
opposition to the state machinery of a nation by going contrary to the
existing laws and rules of that nation can spark political instability. If
so, it means acting outside the framework of the constitution.

In the international community, political parties engage in political
affairs within the constitutional framework. Those individuals working for
a certain ambition cannot be called politicians but activists. A group of
those individuals is usually called the interest group. It is not a
political party. Such a group does not act for political power and minds
its own business.

Getting involved in political activities for power outside the framework
of constitution causes confusions and chaos. Moreover, there can be
barriers and disturbances such as opposition to and confrontation with the
activities of State organizations.

This is why political forces that really want to serve the national
interest form political parties and run for elections within the framework
of constitution in order that they can realize their ambitions in a stable
and correct way. Accepting the people's choice, they serve their country
as people's representatives. If they are not elected, they do not lose
morale and are best-prepared for next elections. Democratic countries with
such a firm system can enjoy political stability and do their best for
national development.

For some developing countries, they are unable to work for national
development on the grounds of acts done outside the framework of
constitution even before solidifying the democratic foundations. In some
neighbouring nations, there broke out unrest and violence by those wearing
colour shirts, commotion and bloodshed. There were also some countries
that experienced political and economic losses due to the general strike
as their political issues were not addressed within the parliament.

In Myamnar, 98.12 percent of all eligible voters cast their ballots, and
there has been a constitution approved by 92.48 percent of all the voters.
There have been people's representatives elected through the elections
held systematically in accord with the constitution. The Hluttaws at
various levels formed with those representatives and a government will
emerge soon, and Myanmar will reach the new democratic era.

In such a transitional period, there is no doubt peace and stability is of
utmost importance. There is an English saying that goes by 'Don't rock the
boat'. But like in a Myanmar saying 'The mad monk and the tossed boat', if
there is any ill intention to rock the boat, there may be some
repercussions in the country.

In reality, today's situation of Myanmar is very sensitive and delicate.
If there is any attempt to rock the boat by seeking own interest and
ideology without considering the objective conditions of the nation and
the long-term interests of own group and nation, the whole boat will break
into pieces and sink completely. So, it is necessary to be aware of such
danger.

If one really wants to engage in politics in order to serve the State
interest, one should act simply, legally and honestly within the framework
of constitution accepted in accord with the democratic practices. With its
international norms and standards, the 2008 constitution has entrusted all
the political forces with the right to form political parties and engage
in politics. Moreover, it has given a model of Union where national races
have the right to prescribe their own suitable provisions, equal rights
and the right to maintain their own language, literature and culture. So,
there is no way one can act outside the constitutional framework.
Otherwise, there will only be disadvantages rather than advantages.

Translation: ST
Kyemon, Myanma Alin: 7-12-2010