BurmaNet News, January 5, 2011

Editor editor at burmanet.org
Wed Jan 5 14:28:18 EST 2011

January 5, 2011 Issue #4113

INSIDE BURMA
Mizzima: Funeral services hit 10-year high: Kyaw Thu
DVB: Arakanese rebels attack Burma army
SHAN: Political prisoners expected to be freed before parliament

BUSINESS / TRADE
Irrawaddy: NLD outlines four principles for foreign investment
Mizzima: Norwegian firm Seadrill heads back to Burma

ASEAN
Asahi Shimbun: Japanese businesses face dilemma with Myanmar

REGIONAL
Malay Mail (Malaysia): Second school for Myanmar children

INTERNATIONAL
Irrawaddy: Karen New Year celebrated across the world
AFP: S.Africa to push for reform of UN security council

OPINION / OTHER
Mainichi (Japan): Looking back, looking forwards – Aung San Suu Kyi
Bangkok Post: Slow down the rush to Dawei – Editorial
New Light of Myanmar: After the nation sees a new government elected by
the people in line with the new constitution, all national people have to
participate harmoniously in building a new nation with already-built
foundations – Than Shwe

____________________________________
INSIDE BURMA

January 5, Mizzima News
Funeral services hit 10-year high: Kyaw Thu – Tun Tun

New Delhi – Funeral services at a local charity have hit a ten-year high,
a spokesperson of the Free Funeral Service Association (Rangoon) said
today in Burma.

The association was established by well-known actor Kyaw Thu in January
2001 and had provided 14,384 free funerals in Rangoon division during
2010.

“We had such a high number of funerals last year because of the summer
heat. Rangoon and the provinces recorded high temperatures in April and
May. We supported many funerals during April, sometimes up to 80 per
day”, Kyaw Thu told Mizzima.

But the actor said 2008 was the busiest year for them overall, especially
in the aftermath of cyclone Nargis victims, he said.

The association has total 19 vehicles including association-owned hearses
that provide free funeral services in Rangoon Division for people unable
to cover the costs of cremating relatives.

The association also runs the Thukha Free Clinic providing free basic
medical care with a team of 50 doctors, 60 support staff and over 300
volunteers.

The clinic treated 34,722 patients and donated 196 bottles (units) of
blood in 2010.

“We gave a variety of treatment including orthopaedic, paediatrics,
obstetric and dental care, and provide x-ray and ultrasound imaging
services”, Kyaw Thu said.

The clinic also provided hospital beds, wheel chairs, crutches and oxygen
cylinders free to patients.

To help address summer water shortages, association and clinic volunteers
provided 68,000 gallons of water, and installed water pipes, tube wells
and 30 brick water tanks to 26 villages in Pegu, Pyi, Paukkhaung,
Kyaukpadaung, Dhalla and Thanlyin townships.

“Donors are the real benefactors for these patients and families. We
provide free funerals and clinic services with their donated money”, the
actor explained.

Burmese in exile endowed Kyaw Thu the with ‘Glory of Myanmar’ award for
his leadership and social work. Military authorities banned him from
acting after offering alms to protesting monks in September 2007.

According to the most up to date information available from the World
Health Organisation (WHO), Burma spent only 2.3% of GDP on health services
in 2003. However, WHO notes a recent per capita increase in expenditure on
health services.

The main sources of money for health services are the government and
private households as well as community contributions and overseas aid,
but in some parts of Burma, little or no services are being provided.

Rural health and humanitarian relief agencies say in parts of eastern
Burma, community health groups are providing the only forms of
preventative and curative care to the sick. This kind of support is
regularly disrupted by armed conflict and troop movements.

____________________________________

January 5, Democratic Voice of Burma
Arakanese rebels attack Burma army – Khin Maung Latt

Four Burmese soldiers have been killed after their column came under
attack during a patrol in the country’s western Arakan state.

Fighting between the army’s Light Infantry Battalion 55 and the Arakan
Liberation Army (ALA), which operates in the region, lasted around one
hour, according to Khine Thukha, joint secretary of the group’s political
wing, the Arakan Liberation Party.

The column had been patrolling in Latpanwa, an area close to Paletwa on
the Bangladeshi-Burma border, on 3 January when fighting broke out.

“It was an intense fight that lasted for about one hour,” Khine Thukha
said. “Four enemy soldiers were killed and two were injured, while their
outpost also took heavy damage.” He added that one ALA solider was killed.

The attack was launched “to signal that we have to continue our fight for
independence and to stress that the ALA will be stepping up its military
action in 2011,” he continued.

The ALA was formed in the late 1960s with the assistance of the Karen
National Union to push for autonomy from the central government. Eruptions
of fighting such as this in Arakan state are, however, rare.

____________________________________

January 5, Shan Herald Agency for News
Political prisoners expected to be freed before parliament – Hseng Khio Fah

The ruling military junta of Burma is expected to grant amnesty to all
political prisoners before the first session of the new parliament,
according to sources from Naypyitaw.

“They [the junta] said all the political prisoners will be released. But
no dates or any further details were given. But it is to be either before
or when the parliament is opened,” a source close to the junta said.

The opening of the new Burma’s parliament is expected to take place in
late January, the Irrawaddy reported earlier.

At the same time, eleven local pro-democracy organizations urged the
military junta on Monday to release more than 2,200 political prisoners on
the Burma’s Independence Day, yesterday January 4.

According to the Thailand-based Assistance Association for Political
Prisoners-Burma, there are 2,203 political prisoners in Burma.

In September last year, a total of 7,114 prisoners were freed and among
those over 200 were political prisoners.

____________________________________
BUSINESS / TRADE

January 5, Irrawaddy
NLD outlines four principles for foreign investment – Htet Aung

Burma's leading democratic opposition party, the National League for
Democracy (NLD), has outlined four principles for foreign investment in
the country and reaffirmed its stand on the need to review existing
economic sanctions for the benefit of the people, according to a party
policy statement.

“Consideration of environmental and social impacts on the people, respect
for labor rights, the creation of job opportunities and technically
advanced investments” are the four main priorities of the party's foreign
investment policy, said the statement, which was titled “Economic
Analysis” and released on Jan. 4, Burma's Independence Day.

The statement also highlighted the need to address rising commodity prices
and increasing joblessness due to the unequal distribution of wealth in
the country.

Asked whether the party has begun to consider welcoming foreign direct
investment to the country based on these principles, Win Tin, the
secretary of the NLD, told The Irrawaddy: “First we want to review the
impact of the sanctions on ordinary citizens. We have already said that if
we find that they negatively impact the people, we will consider calling
for an end to sanctions.”

He added that if the sanctions are lifted, “These four principles will be
our guideline to decide whether which investments we should accept.”

He further explained that the NLD set these four principles not only to
reduce the negative impacts of foreign investments on the environment of
the country but also to protect the people's social and economic life.

“An example is Chinese investment in the construction of the Myitsone dam
at the confluence of the N'mai and Mali rivers, where the Irrawaddy River
begins,” said Win Tin. “The Irrawaddy is our country's main river and
building such a dam could have negative environmental and social
consequences for the country and the people.”

Win Tin also expressed concern that China's investment in Burma did little
to alleviate unemployment because Chinese companies often brought their
own laborers to work on their projects. Another problem, he said, was that
local people are often forced to relocate because of these projects,
affecting their livelihoods.

The NLD's policy statement criticized most current investment in Burma for
prioritizing short-term profit and failing to consider the sustainable
development of the country.

The statement pointed out that building a lot of dams, reservoirs and
river bridges without considering the environment and the livelihoods of
local people often did more harm than good. In many cases, cultivated
lands have been damaged by these projects and farmers have lost their
capital because they are forced to grow crops that are not suitable in the
land and weather.

The statement also highlighted the need to establish the rule of law and
transparent, accountable governance in Burma. It said that the economy
must be equally open to all citizens if Burma is to develop economically.

“To build an industrialized country, there must be investments which
encourage a transfer of advanced technologies, but we get nothing from
China's investments,” said Win Tin.

____________________________________

January 5, Mizzima News
Norwegian firm Seadrill heads back to Burma – Thomas Maung Shwe

Chiang Mai – The Norwegian firm Seadrill will set up its ‘West Juno’ gas
drilling rig in Burmese waters to undertake contract work for the Thai oil
firm PTT Exploration & Production Company Ltd (PTTEP).

The rig will be in Burmese waters for four months.

Construction of the Seadrill’s newest rig was completed in Singapore in
December 2010.

Seadrill came under fire last year from Burma activists for drilling work
in Burma conducted for Twinza Oil, an Australian company.

Activists raised concerns over human rights violations linked to oil and
gas developments in the country and pressed its withdrawal.

Companies working in Burma have come under fire for financing military rule.

In 2010, the Norweigan News Agency, quoted Seadrill spokesperson Hilde
Waaler as saying the company had “no plans of signing any new contracts
for work in the country”

However, Seadrill’s return to Burma was disclosed in late December by
Braemar Falconer, a Singapore based offshore engineering consultancy firm
that will be assisting Seadrill with the PTTEP contract.

Seadrill had performed drilling work for PTTEP in Burmese waters before on
its ‘West Ariel’ rig.

The Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs told independent news service
Norwatch it encourages companies to “refrain from trading with or
investing in Burma”.

The spokesperson said they didn’t want Seadrill or other Norwegian
companies to “contribute to financing a military dictatorship”.

“Norway endorses the European Union’s measures against Burma, which, among
other things, include a ban on investments in certain types of
enterprises”.

However, Norwegian firms are not legally prevented from doing business in
Burma, nor are they subject to the EU sanctions.

Norway is one of the few European nations not a member of the union.

Seadrill’s shares are traded on the both the Oslo and New York stock
exchanges and while the firm is subject to United States sanctions, their
activities in Burma are not affected.

Washington prohibits firms from making new investments in Burma, but there
is a loophole for ‘technical services’. However, technical services must
be provided to companies not blacklisted by the Office of Foreign Assets
Control (OFAC).

Transocean, a Swiss-American drilling firm, is under investigation by OFAC
because the company conducted offshore drilling work for a consortium that
included a blacklisted firm owned by junta crony and alleged drug lord
Stephen Law, and his father Lo Sit Han.

Seadrill and its partner Braemar Falconer could not be reached today for
comment.

Japanese rig to drill off of Arakan coast

Another offshore drilling rig owned by the Japan Drilling Company (JDC),
will head to Burma’s Arakan coast later this month as part of a job for
Daewoo International, lead consortium partners in the Shwe gas project.

JDC- Japan’s only oil drilling firm signed a $41.34 million drilling
contract that runs from January 15 to March 1 of this year.

The company’s semi-submersible rig will drill four deep sea wells in
Burmese waters near Sittwe. The contract also contains an option to drill
a possible fifth well.

JDC has previously drilled offshore in Burma for Malaysia’s state owned
firm Petronas.

____________________________________
ASEAN

January 5, Asahi Shimbun
Japanese businesses face dilemma with Myanmar – Takeshi Kamiya

Japanese businesses face a tough decision of whether to invest in a
country ruled by a military junta or sit back and let China and South
Korea surge ahead in a key area.

That area, Myanmar (Burma), has not seen new direct investment from
Japanese companies for almost a decade.

Entering the Myanmar market could raise criticism from the United States
and Europe, which maintain economic sanctions against Myanmar's oppressive
military regime.

However, the government-affiliated Japan External Trade Organization
(JETRO) says it has received three inquiries from businesses about setting
up shop in Myanmar since the country's first national elections in 20
years in November. The elections were described as a farce.

The inquiries were "remarkable in that no increase had been seen in the
past several years in the number of businesses operating here," said an
official of JETRO's office in Yangon (Rangoon).

JETRO figures show foreign direct investment in Myanmar jumped to $16
billion (1.3 trillion yen) between April and August 2010, almost matching
the overall total between 1988 and 2009.

The heavy investors were from China, Hong Kong, South Korea and Thailand.
Their targets include natural resources, such as natural gas and rare
metals.

Despite international criticism against the Myanmar government for
restricting freedom of speech and causing other human rights problems, the
country attracts business attention for its location, surrounded by
fast-growing China and India as well as other members of the Association
of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).

China and India are reportedly developing deep-water ports for large
vessels in Myanmar to use as their gateways to the sea.

About 50 Japanese companies are operating in Myanmar, the last entering in
2001. They are expanding production in such areas as clothes and footwear
as orders increased from businesses trying to disperse the risks from
excessive dependence on China.

Although Tokyo did not impose sanctions against Myanmar, Japanese
companies have shunned new investments to protect their images. They are
also wary of the unstable power supply and unpredictable policy changes.

An investment "boom" in Myanmar did occur in the latter half of the 1990s,
when Mitsui & Co. developed an industrial park and former Fuji Bank agreed
on setting up a joint venture bank. But the boom was short-lived.

Eitaro Kojima, head of JETRO's Yangon office, expects economic
deregulation in Myanmar before ASEAN's economic integration slated for
2015.

"The Myanmar government appears to be seriously concerned that its
industry will suffer a major blow when the ASEAN integration makes
progress," Kojima said. "I think it will move to liberalize its economy to
promote development of its industry."

____________________________________
REGIONAL

January 5, The Malay Mail (Malaysia)
Second school for Myanmar children – Nadia Fernandez

NEW HOPE: The classrooms in the school are equipped with computers
PUCHONG: The Burma Refugee Organization (BRO) yesterday opened its second
school here in conjunction with the 63rd anniversary of its home country's
independence.

The new school at 19A Jalan Bandar 6/1, Pusat Bandar Puchong, also has a
hostel for students aged 10 to 17.

At the opening, BRO chairman U Maung Hla said there were now 37 children
enrolled in the new school. The first BRO school at 63/1A, Jalan Bandar 1,
Pusat Bandar Puchong, was opened in 2007.

The children there have their breakfast at 7am and start their lessons by
9am, Mondays to Fridays.

They finish lessons at 5pm, with a lunch break at noon.

The schools are funded by donations and partly aided by the Malaysian
chapter of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

David, 14, is one of the students and said there were too many children in
one class and therefore, they have to share books.

"I've been here for the past one year. I came here walking with my elder
brother through the jungles. I joined BRO since they offered education and
shelter to us. I am happy in Malaysia but I don't intend to stay here for
the rest of my life."

It is run by volunteers like Sawywarmufhal, 27, who is also a translator
in the BRO. He has been here for two months and translates his mother
tongue into English.

"I am happy here in Malaysia as all my friends are here. I enjoy my work
as a translator. I like the environment here. The children here usually
eat rice with either chicken or pork and various vegetables."

The BRO chairman estimated there were now about 100,000 BRO members in
Malaysia, most of whom are refugees.

____________________________________
INTERNATIONAL

January 5, Irrawaddy
Karen New Year celebrated across the world – Saw Yan Naing

They may live in countries on the other side of world, their families may
have been torn apart, they may be living in refugee camps in Thailand, but
when it comes to their New Year's Day, the ethnic Karen people join
together as one in wishing each other a Happy New Year.

Thousands of Karen gathered on Wednesday in Insein Township in Rangoon to
celebrate the start of the 2,750th year on the Karen calendar.

Sources in Rangoon said an estimated 10,000 Karen people in Insein dressed
in traditional dress to celebrate the event with traditional dances and
ceremonies. They raised the Karen national flag at 6 a.m on Wednesday.

Speakers at the ceremony called for the unity of the Karen people, said
one attendee.

One of the major ethnic groups of Burma, the Karen have been indigenous to
the land for more than two millennia. Nevertheless, hundreds of thousands
of Karen people still live in fear in their homeland, some hiding in the
jungle while others are forced to flee to third countries. Decades of
repression by the Burmese regime has resulted in more than 150,000 Karen
living in refugee camps in Thailand. Some 60,000 Karen refugees have been
resettled to Western countries.

Karen refugees in Thailand also celebrated their New Year on Jan. 5.
Thousands of Karen in Mae La refugee camp gathered and held a festival,
said a refugee at the camp. Mae La is the largest of nine refugee camps in
Thailand with more than 40,000 Burmese refugees, most of whom are ethnic
Karen.

Several Karen people told The Irrawaddy that they were praying for peace
in Karen State where armed conflict has been a way of life for villagers
for more than six decades.

Naw Barso Ghay, a Karen girl in India, said, “I wish for all the people in
Karen State to have peaceful lives. I wish for there to be no more war, no
more homelessness and no more families torn apart.”

Saw Gregory, a Karen university student who is studying in Thailand, said,
“I miss Karen New Year in Rangoon. I hope to see all Karen people unified
and celebrating Karen New Year together in Burma, one day.”

Straddling the mountains that separate Thailand and Burma, the people of
Karen State have been victims of human rights abuses by Burmese government
forces since the country gained independence from Britain in 1948. The
Rangoon government’s broken promise of ethnic autonomy and true federalism
resulted in a civil war that has continued to this day.

Founded in 1947, the Karen National Union has led the fight for freedom
and self-determination.

In a statement to commemorate the 2,750th Karen New Year, KNU Chairman Saw
Tamla Baw said it is necessary for every Karen, wherever they live in the
world, to uphold the Karen people’s cultural heritage and language, and
hand it down to posterity.

“I would like to urge all Karen nationals to work in a spirit of unity and
in cooperation in this year of 2750 until the Karen people gain the right
to live in freedom as a nationality, while resisting the enemy endangering
our Karen people,” said Tamla Baw.

Zipporah Sein, the general secretary of the KNU, said, “I believe there
will be a day when all Karen people gather freely together to celebrate
our New Year under the Karen flag.

“Every single Karen person is responsible for this. We have to maintain
the struggle for the liberation of the Karen people,” she said.
____________________________________

January 5, Agence France Presse
S.Africa to push for reform of UN security council

Pretoria – South Africa will push for reform of the United Nations
Security Council during a two-year stint as a rotating member of the
group, a government minister said on Wednesday.

"We will attempt to persuade and convince the permanent five of the need
for the early conclusion of the reform process," Minister of International
Relations and Cooperation Maite Nkoana Mashabane told reporters in
Pretoria.

"The power configuration is not in favour of the non-permanent members and
national interests sometimes override international commitments," she
said, delivering a mild rebuke to the permanent members of the Security
Council.

"The unfair use or abuse of diplomatic tools at members’ discretion can
make the work of Security Council very difficult," she added.

South Africa won the non-permanent seat on the 15-member Council in an
uncontested vote in October last year, giving the country a new two-year
term starting in January.

The country's last stint on the UN decision-making body drew sharp
criticism from groups such as Human Rights Watch which said South Africa
had "sided with reactionary rather than progressive forces".

Under then president Thabo Mbeki, South Africa shielded Zimbabwe from
international sanctions over electoral violence in 2008, sought to deflect
action against Myanmar over the deadly repression of Buddhist monks in
2007, and tempered criticism of Iran's nuclear programme.

____________________________________
OPINION / OTHER

January 5, Mainichi (Japan)
Looking back, looking forwards – Aung San Suu Kyi

Following her release from house arrest this past November, Myanmar's
pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi has once again begun contributing
her "Letter from Burma" column to the Mainichi, ending a 13-year absence
from its pages.

In her column, Suu Kyi intends to suggest how to press forward with
Myanmar's pro-democracy movement, which faces major challenges in the
authoritarian state.

She agreed to resume her monthly column when a Mainichi correspondent
interviewed her after she was freed from house arrest.

Another reporter and a photographer met with Suu Kyi at her residence in
Yangon in late December, and she handed them the first of her new "Letter
from Burma" columns along with a message to the readers.

---

The beginning of the year is a time for renewal, reinvigoration,
resolutions and remembrance of things past.

I look back on 2010 and find that parts of the year were so little
memorable as to have disappeared wholly into the lost wastes of time. How
did I spend the first day of 2010? I cannot remember.

I can say, however, that it could not have been comfortable. Renovations
to my house had been started in December 2009 and stopped a few weeks
later by order of the municipal authorities.

While my lawyers worked to get the order reversed, I spent several months
living in the midst of cardboard boxes, thick woven blankets wrapped
around unidentifiable objects, assorted suitcases and leaning towers of
books.

Looking up from my bed, which was wedged between a high bookshelf, odd
tables and a number of lumpy bundles, I had a good view of a peeling chunk
of ceiling that afforded me many moments of contemplation on the nature of
decrepitude and decay.

While the weather was cool, the jam-packed room seemed cozy, and the urban
jungle camp-style of existence could be seen as something of an adventure.
As the weather got hotter and hotter, however, the romance wore off,
particularly as the scaffolding that had been erected against the outside
walls was in such a position that the windows of the bedroom could not be
opened and large parts of the night were passed in sleepless swelter. I
did not feel in the best of health.

The first quarter of 2010 was not just a period of physical discomfort, it
was also one of intense mental activity. My lawyers would visit me on
occasion to discuss the appeal that we had lodged against the sentence
that had been meted out to me at the Insein Jail court the previous year.I
found the whole legal process fascinating and learnt much from my highly
experienced and able lawyers.

I felt immense pride in them and in the Legal Committee of the National
League for Democracy (NLD) that had been working hard since 1995 to uphold
the rule of law and to defend the rights of prisoners of conscience in our
country. As one of the lawyers, U Nyan Win, was a member of the Executive
Committee of the NLD, I also learnt much of what was happening in the
political world outside my house and was able to participate to some
extent in the decision making process of the party.

This, in a year crucial to the political scene in Burma, posed
intellectual challenges which, for me, were of far greater importance than
health considerations.

Around the time of the Burmese New Year that falls in mid-April, the court
decreed that the renovations to my house could be continued. Overnight,
what had been an enclosure cut off from the sounds and movements of the
world outside became a place of constant noise and action as workmen
swarmed all over the place.

There was so much to be done. A major project was repairs to the roof. For
some years I had spent the monsoon months moving my bed, bowls, basins and
buckets around my bedroom like pieces in an intricate game of chess,
trying to catch the leaks and to prevent the mattress (and myself, if I
happened to be on it) from getting soaked. Now that the roof would be made
sound.

I could look forward to the next rains with equanimity. In Burmese, a
sound roof is a metaphor for security, a reflection of the notion that if
all was well at the very top, all would be well throughout an edifice.

The repairs and renovations meant there would be greater physical
convenience and comfort in the future. But much more important than the
material considerations were the human contacts that were made possible.

Every day for about five months (the work on the house went on from April
to September with a break of three weeks in-between), I was able to
acquaint myself with the lives and concerns of our workmen, to acquire a
better understanding of the difficulties with which the labor force of our
country had to cope and to get a clearer idea of their hopes and
aspirations.

Another consequence of the renovation project was frequent discussions
with the Special Branch and other forces responsible for the security of
the premises. The bringing in of men and materials had to be negotiated on
an almost daily basis, and we found that obstacles could be smoothed out
with reasoning and flexibility on both sides.

2010 was a year that brought many improvements to my house, but what it
brought to our country, which is the home of all our people, is a much
more serious tale, to be told another time.

I would like to end this, the first article I have written since my
release, by expressing my deep appreciation of the support and friendship
the Mainichi Shimbun has given me over two decades and by sharing with its
readership an extract from a poem that had a special significance for my
late husband and that I cherish for its abiding wisdom:

...yesterday is but a dream,

And tomorrow is only a vision;

But today, well lived,

Makes every yesterday a dream of happiness,

And every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well, therefore, to this day.

--from The Salutation to the Dawn based on a Vedic Hymn. (By Aung San Suu
Kyi)

____________________________________

January 5, Bangkok Post
Slow down the rush to Dawei – Editorial

It may be too late, but the government should listen carefully to the
reasonable voices warning against throwing great Thai resources at plans
to build a new industrial complex in Burma. The push to back the project
at Dawei has won powerful allies. For one, there is Prime Minister Abhisit
Vejjajiva, who returned from his first official trip to Burma three months
ago, enthusiastic about the chance to build a port, virtually from
scratch. For another, Thailand's biggest and most influential companies
are determined to move into Burma to work on the Indian Ocean scheme.

But there are increasing voices questioning the rush to Dawei - the
regime's name for the town of Tavoy. For one, Burma is still a despotic,
brutal military dictatorship. It held elections of a sort late last year
but even the United Nations saw through the sham of a vote that only
sought to legitimise military rule. The regime released No.1 political
prisoner Aung San Suu Kyi, but continues to keep thousands of others under
lock and key for the "crime" of criticising the regime. As a member of the
United Nations Human Rights Council, the government should question doing
such big business with Burma, not enthusiastically supporting it.

But clearly, Burmese and Thai officials at lower levels have done their
work carefully. Within days of Mr Abhisit's return from Burma, the
military regime awarded a huge construction contract to Italian-Thai
Development Plc. Under the 10-year, 400-billion-baht agreement, Ital-Thai
will virtually take up residence in Burma. From almost nothing, the Thai
firm will oversee the transformation of Dawei into a thriving industrial
zone and international port with all the necessary infrastructure.

This is the 21st century version of the only major government-sanctioned
project of this kind in Thailand, the Eastern Seaboard. It is clear that
some of the growing pains of the Rayong-centred seaboard programme are now
driving some big Thai companies out of Thailand. By moving to Burma they
can leave behind the environmental problems of Map Ta Phut and Rayong
courts.

This is the second major reason to slow the stampede to Dawei.
Environmental activists have questioned whether the Thai firms are fleeing
the Eastern Seaboard exactly because they intend to make no effort to set
up clean industry in Burma. Buntoon Siethasirote, director of the Good
Governance for Social Development and the Environment Foundation, pointed
out that Burma has no decent laws on protecting the environment. The
Burmese military leaders have a history of cooperation in shady business
deals. There is grave doubt whether the generals would even make an
attempt to enforce any sort of acceptable standards if that interfered
with profits.

And now, senior officials of the bureaucracy have questioned the
government's all-out support for an Andaman Sea project at Dawei. They
note correctly that this has turned into a zero-sum contest between Dawei
and a formerly planned port project further to the south at Pak Bara, in
Satun province.

In short, what Dawei and Burma gain, Pak Bara and Thailand lose.

Private businesses have their own agenda, but there are legitimate and
pressing questions about the Thai government's strong backing for the
Dawei port plans. The government should slow its rush to Burma, until
important political and economic questions have clearer answers.

____________________________________

January 5, New Light of Myanmar
After the nation sees a new government elected by the people in line with
the new constitution, all national people have to participate harmoniously
in building a new nation with already-built foundations – Than Shwe

Nay Pyi Taw, 4 Jan - The following is the translation of the message sent
by Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council Senior General Than
Shwe on the occasion of the 63rd Anniversary Independence Day (2011).

Esteemed national people,

Today is the 63rd Anniversary Independence Day, a day of historical
significance for Myanmar. On this auspicious occasion, I would like to
extend my warmest greetings, wishing the entire people every prosperity.

Myanmar people of us are, by nature, not aggressive to others, and willing
to lead a peaceful life. However, in late Konbaung Period, our country
fell prey to the colonial rule, due to lack of a strong army, and failure
to complete the building of a strong army due to various reasons.

It was very inhumane of colonialists that annexed Myanmar through three
aggressive wars from 1824 to 1885. In the wars, the people of all national
races tried their utmost with the strongest sense of nationalistic vigour
to repulse the attacks launched by the colonialists. However, the nation
was reduced to a colony, stemming from the great gap of armed power. After
occupying Myanmar, colonialists not only oppressed the people to the
highest degree, but also implemented varieties of well-prepared schemes to
exploit the people. In consequence, the people went through the hell of
untold miseries. Doubts and hatred were running high among national races
owing to the wedge driven by the colonialists who feared that the people,
if they became united, would revolt against them.

Esteemed national people,

In colonial days, the people were in grinding poverty. The colonial
education system brought about a class of people who were in favour of
living under the colonial rule. However, brilliant, patriotic young people
became knowledgeable about political affairs. Peasants and workers staged
uprisings against the colonial government to help the nation free itself
from the colonial rule, thus inculcating the people with a sense of
revolutionary spirit. Becoming convinced that armed revolt was the only
way to regain independence, educated, young people established a national
army, risking life and limb. In the time of independence struggles, the
people had to fall under Fascism which became intolerable. So, the
Tatmadaw fought Fascists, in cooperation with the entire people.

After they had driven the Fascists out of the Myanmar soil, colonialists
reentered the country. Leaders of Myanmar had to get involved in political
campaigns for independence. On the ground of the enmity sowed between
national races, national leaders had to hold heart-to-heart discussions
with some leaders of national races for all regions of the nation to
regain independence simultaneously.

Esteemed national people,

The Union of Myanmar again became an independent, sovereign land on 4
January 1948. So, Independence Day is in its 63rd anniversary this year.
It cost greatly for the nation to regain independence and sovereignty. The
value of independence and sovereignty is most notice-able only when they
are lost. Naturally, the people take independence and sovereignty for
granted. It is not strange certain covetous, aggressive countries are
anxious to gain political control over a geographically strategic country
like Myanmar. Accordingly, all national races are to remain cohesive
forever in order for perpetuation of independence and sovereignty. However
much an alien says that he is in favour of the interest of Myanmar, it is
merely a sugar-coated speech. Indeed, those who love the motherland best
are none other than national brethren. If national solidarity is
disintegrated, the nation will relapse into alien rule. The onus is,
therefore, on the entire people to put in the fore non-disintegration of
the Union and non-disintegration of national solidarity.

Esteemed national people,

The Union of Myanmar has passed through many periods. Unlike past
multiparty democracy elections, general elections for the practice of
multiparty democracy system were held successfully without any electoral
violence. This is the pride of the nation and the people.

In its time, the Tatmadaw has improved political, economic and social
infrastructures considerably to build the nation into a peaceful, modern
one.

Its effort to improve infrastructures in the national interest has gone
down to the annals of the history of the nation. That is a fine tradition
of the Tatmadaw, which shows benevolent attitude to the people and
duty-consciousness. After the nation sees a new government elected by the
people in line with the new constitution, all national people have to
participate harmoniously in building a new nation with already-built
foundations. And with a sense of Union Spirit and patriotic spirit, the
entire people have to expedite the tasks for already achieved stability,
community peace, security, the rule of law, national unity, development
and democratization.

Esteemed national people,

Ensuring perpetuation of the Union is at the forefront of building the
Union of Myanmar. Today, some countries, despite their being developed
ones, are on the verge of disintegration of the union and civil wars.

The Union of Myanmar is blessed with vast tracts of waters and lands, rich
natural resources, temperate climate patterns, food security, and
geographically strategic location. So, surely certain countries are
desirous of having influence over Myanmar. To break up the Union and
national cohesion is the major as well was only way to weaken Myanmar. In
order to implement that point, external elements will be likely to
organize and mobilize participation of some nationals who lack political
awareness to disrupt national development. Therefore, I would like to urge
the entire people to guard the nation with political awareness against any
forms of disruptions in order that the mother country’s independence and
sovereignty will never be under alien influence.