[Clipmate-announce] ClipMate March Newsletter

Chris Thornton chris at thornsoft.com
Thu Mar 30 15:50:37 EST 2006

March 30, 2006
Welcome back to our Newsletter, featuring news about the latest
ClipMate7 update, good news for FireFox users, and as always, a
ClipMate usage tip.

HTML Version - This newsletter is posted at our website in HTML
format at: http://www.thornsoft.com/newsletter/newsletter_mar06.htm
And as an RSS feed: http://www.thornsoft.com/rssnewsletter.xml

Newsletter Contents:
ClipMate 7.0 - Available Now!
ClipMate Tip - Understanding Virtual Collections
ClipMate Tip - The "Win" Hotkey
Translations - Russian is complete, Polish and Italian are in process.
Mozilla/FireFox - Get FireFox 1.5
Updating

ClipMate 7.0 - Available Now!
Many of you have already upgraded to ClipMate 7, as a result of the
auto-update notification. If that's you, then thanks! Otherwise,
we'd like to announce that ClipMate 7 is available, and that
registered ClipMate 6 users can take advantage of the $19.95
single-user upgrade pricing by following this link:
http://www.thornsoft.com/ClipMate7_Upgrade_Offer.htm

ClipMate 7 Highlights
Universal QuickPaste lets you paste into most programs simply by
double-clicking.  The new ClipBar integrates right into your
windows taskbar, showing the top clip and your choice of more
than two dozen tool buttons.  As with other toolbars in
ClipMate 7, it's completely customizable.  You can now drag/drop
clips right into OLE-aware programs like Microsoft Word, Internet
Explorer, FireFox, Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Excel,
Paint Shop Pro, and many others.  Virtual Collections will help
you find your clips, no matter where you may have filed them.
Are you a dual-screen power-user?  We've updated our screen
capture to be multi-monitor aware.  And our new "skins" library
gives ClipMate a fresh new look.

Here is a description of the new features, with screenshots:
http://www.thornsoft.com/new_features_7.htm
NOTE: The latest release is v7.0.07.133.

ClipMate Tip - Understanding Virtual Collections
ClipMate 7 has a new series of collections that aren't really
collections at all, in the sense that you'd put clips into them.
Instead, they're really just "canned queries", returning a series of
clips that match a particular criteria such as "all clips captured
today" or "all bitmap clips". So if you captured a clip yesterday, and
it resides in the InBox, it'll show up both in the InBox, and the
"This Week" virtual collection. This is great for when you know that
you captured something on a particular day, but aren't sure where you
put it. The Virtual Collections will find it for you. Note that any
changes or deletions made to the clip in a virtual collection will
affect what you see in the "real" collection - because it's really
just the same clip. Note that when you're viewing a virtual
collection, the second column of the ClipList shows the collection
(InBox, Safe, etc.) where that clip actually resides. For more
information regarding virtual collections:
http://www.thornsoft.com/HTML_help/7/ue_virtual_collections.htm

ClipMate Tip 2 - The "Win" Key
In version 7, we're breaking loose from the constraints of the old
hotkey control, and allowing the use of new combinations such as the
cute little "Windows" key, next to your spacebar. To use it, just use
"WIN+", just like you'd use the other "modifier" keys such as "CTRL+",
"SHIFT+", or "ALT+". While Microsoft would prefer that the WIN key be
reserved for "shell commands", we feel that ClipMate's new ClipBar,
which integrates into the windows taskbar, definitely qualifies. So
the next time you need to paste something, press WIN+V, and the
ClipBar Pop-Up menu should come right up. It's much handier than the
mouse, as you can just arrow down to the clip that you want, press
ENTER, and the clip should be pasted right back where you were
working, without having to move your hands from the keyboard. To see
what keyboard modifiers and special keys are available, right-click in
the hotkey editor, and it should give you a list of common keys, and
you can select to insert. For more information regarding the new
hotkey editor: http://www.thornsoft.com/HTML_help/7/cfg_up_hotkeys.htm

Microsoft Internet Explorer "createTextRange()" Vulnerability
The internet is buzzing about the latest IE vulnerability. One of our
users posted a question on our forum about script vulnerabilities in
ClipMate's "HTML" viewing tab. ClipMate uses Internet Explorer to
render HTML from the clipboard. Fortunately, HTML clips don't have
access to any scripts that aren't part of the data that is copied.
Most scripts make calls to other scripts that are declared elsewhere
on the page, so it's unlikely that you could get enough of a damaging
web page into ClipMate through the clipboard to do any harm. But we
can't prove that it's impossible. So we're now recommending that the
"delete scripts" option be turned ON, to remove all scripting from
HTML clips prior to being rendered. This may affect the display of
some clips that rely on scripts for image placement, etc.. In the next
maintenance release, the "delete scripts" option will be enabled by
default. But you can turn it on now. Just view a text clip in ClipMate
Explorer, and click the "HTML" or "Text as HTML" tab in the edit/view
window. On the HTML toolbar, there's a drop-down menu for settings.
One of them is "delete scripts?". Click to turn on the checkmark. Note
that you can also turn the HTML display off completely. See Tools |
Options | Advanced | Use Internet Explorer To Display HTML? Both of
these options apply to ClipMate 6 and ClipMate 7. Click here for more
information on ClipMate's HTML Viewer Read more about the IE
vulnerability on CNET News.com: http://urlmini.com?i=799

Translations
Most of the translation files from version 6 have been updated to work
with version 7, but are incomplete - they're missing the strings that
are new to v7. However, the Russian translation has been brought up to
date. German, Chinese, and Turkish are in the "partial" state, and
work has now started on Polish and Italian translations.
http://www.thornsoft.com/lang/index.htm

Mozilla / Firefox - Source URL
Are you a Firefox user? If you update to FireFox 1.5, ClipMate will be
able to determine the "Source URL" for HTML clips that you copy from
FireFox. Be sure to enable "HTML Format" in ClipMate's Application
Profile for FireFox.

UPDATING
The current ClipMate 7 release is 7.0.07. If you are a registered
ClipMate7 user running a prior version of ClipMate7, you can
update with this link: http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate.exe
Just install over the top of your existing ClipMate 7 installation.
The current ClipMate 6 release is v6.5.11. If you'd like to
upgrade to version 7, the upgrade price is $19.95 for a
single-user license. You can follow this link:
http://www.thornsoft.com/ClipMate7_Upgrade_Offer.htm
If you have multiple licenses, please write to sales at thornsoft.com for
quotes customized quote. Use "ClipMate Upgrade" in the subject.
The current version of Darn! Passwords! is v3.1.03.

That's it for now! As always, please feel free to contact us with any
questions. If you would like to unsubscribe from this list, just let
us know.

Sincerely,
Chris Thornton, President
Thornsoft Development, Inc.
P.O. Box 164, Spencerport NY, 14559 USA
http://www.thornsoft.com

Note: Replies should be directed to support at thornsoft.com or sales at thornsoft.com
Replies sent directly to the list server will be lost.
To change your subscription information, visit
http://www.thornsoft.com/listserv.htm