[Clipmate-announce] ClipMate Newsletter - August 2006

Chris Thornton chris at thornsoft.com
Wed Aug 30 21:28:47 EDT 2006

August 2006
Welcome back to our Newsletter, featuring news about the latest
ClipMate 7 update, and a ClipMate usage tip.

HTML Version - This newsletter is posted at our website in HTML
format at: http://www.thornsoft.com/newsletter/newsletter_aug06.htm
And as an RSS feed: http://www.thornsoft.com/rssnewsletter.xml

NEWSLETTER CONTENTS:
ClipMate 7.1 - Available Now!
License Expansion - Need to add more seats?
ClipMate Tip - Virtual Collections
Translations - Updated for 7.1, including Polish, Italian, Korean.
Updating

CLIPMATE 7.1 - READY NOW!
We released ClipMate 7.1.01 on Monday, August 28. ClipMate 7.0 users
can download it by running the update check, or from this link:
http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate.exe

This is a free update for registered users of ClipMate 7.0. If you are
still running version 6, you can still take advantage of the $19.95
single-user upgrade pricing by following this link:
http://www.thornsoft.com/ClipMate7_Upgrade_Offer.htm
Version 5 users can also get a price break when upgrading by
following this link: http://www.thornsoft.com/email4527.htm

WHAT'S NEW?
The new release (7.1) features a new XML IMPORT/EXPORT function which
can be used to synchronize multiple databases, share clips with other
users, or archive clips to be imported later. Just select some clips,
export them, and re-import into any ClipMate 7.1 database. It works
on any type of clip, and includes the title, date/time, source URL, etc..

VIRTUAL COLLECTIONS HAVE BEEN EXPANDED
If you're handy with SQL, you can even create your own. See this
month's Tip, for creating a "FireFox" virtual collection. There are
some new virtual collections to support database synchronization with
the XML Import/Export, called "since last import" and "since last
export". These are useful in selecting clips that are new, since the
last import or export, which comes in handy if you want to move just
those new clips into another database, such as when traveling between
home and work (or better yet, VACATION and work!)

MACRO CLIPS!
Back in July, a user asked if there was a way to have a
clip perform navigation when pasted, such as moving between a userid
and password field on a form. The answer was NO, but now it's YES.
Clips now have a field called "macros?" which appears in the Clip
Properties dialog, and can be toggled with the "toggle macros on/off
for this clip" option on the right-click menu of the ClipList. If you
QuickPaste a macro clip, it will be sent to the target as keystrokes,
instead of being sent via the clipboard. The big difference is that
"macro" commands will be converted into special keyboard sequences,
which can include the tab key, enter key, and "pause". We have
provided two sample macro clips with ClipMate 7.1, which will be
available in the "samples" collection if you import the sample XML
file located in your ClipMate directory - usually
C:\Program Files\ClipMate7\ClipMate_sampleclips.xml
Note that you must QuickPaste the macro clip for it to be sent as
keystrokes. Otherwise it will just paste as plain text.

CLIPMATE 5 IMPORT
We have leveraged the new XML Import function by writing a conversion
utility to read ClipMate 5 data and output into the ClipMate 7.1
XML format. Details are here. http://www.thornsoft.com/v5convert.htm

Those are the highlights, but there are dozens of other fixes and
enhancements. You can read more about what's new in ClipMate 7.1 here.
http://www.thornsoft.com/new_features_7.htm

LICENSE EXPANSION
While ClipMate's single-user license allows you to run the same license
on up to two computers, sometimes your needs grow. Our "Household
Pack" allows home users to run ClipMate on up to 5 computers. We also
have multi-user discounts for workgroups and businesses of any size.
Sometimes the pricing gets tricky when you are expanding or upgrading
multi-user licenses, so send us an e-mail: sales at thornsoft.com and
Brenda can prepare a custom quote for upgrading your license, taking
into account what you've already purchased.

CLIPMATE TIP - VIRTUAL COLLECTIONS
Have you ever lost something in a pile of clutter, perhaps on your desk,
and found it by looking at it from the side? I've actually gotten out
of my chair, crouched down, and examined the piles sideways, hoping to
spot an important receipt, rebate form, or jury summons. Likewise,
sometimes you copy something into ClipMate, and don't know where you
put it. Especially if you have dozens or hundreds of collections.
You may remember WHEN you copied it, WHERE you copied it from, or
WHAT type of data it was. You can always use the Search function to
find clips by date, source, or data type. Virtual Collections are
like searches, except they're pre-defined "canned" queries. ClipMate
comes with a few, and starting in 7.1, you can add your own.

Virtual collections behave like searches, but they don't open up a
search box, they already know what you're looking for. There are
several that search by date ranges. "Today", "This Week" and "This
Month" search for everything copied within the last 1, 7, and 31 days,
respectively. There's one for "all bitmaps", and even one for
"everything". Have you ever wished that you could see all of your
clips in one big list, as if you'd kept everything in the InBox? The
"Everything" collection will do that.

For more information regarding virtual collections:
http://www.thornsoft.com/HTML_help/7/ue_virtual_collections.htm
http://www.thornsoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8976

TRANSLATIONS
We released the 7.1 beta to the translation team a few days before 7.1
was released. Polish and Russian are completely up-to-date, and
German, Italian, Czech, Danish, Turkish, Korean, Chinese Simplified
and Chinese Traditional are updated to be compatible with 7.1, but
there are a few English strings for new features not found in 7.0. A
French translation is underway, but not yet distributed. We have two
multilanguage distributions, one for European (Polish and Russian are
completely up-to-date, and German, Italian, Czech, Danish, Turkish)
and one for Asian languages (Korean, Chinese Simplified and Chinese
Traditional). They can be downloaded here:
http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate_MultiAsian.exe
http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate_MultiEurope.exe
Each features a multi-language setup, with all language packs for the
region.

UPDATING
The current ClipMate 7 release is 7.1.01. If you are running a prior
version of ClipMate7, you can update with this link:
http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate.exe
Just install over the top of your existing ClipMate 7 installation.
The current ClipMate 6 release is v6.5.11. If you'd like to upgrade to
version 7, the upgrade price is $19.95 for a single-user license.
Write to sales at thornsoft.com for quotes on multi-user upgrades or for
upgrading from a version prior to ClipMate 6. Please use "ClipMate
Upgrade" in the subject.
The current version of Darn! Passwords! is v3.1.03.

That's it for now! As always, please feel free to contact us with any
questions.
If you would like to unsubscribe from this list, just let us know.

Chris Thornton, President
Thornsoft Development, Inc.
P.O. Box 164, Spencerport NY, 14559 USA
(585) 352-4223
http://www.thornsoft.com

Note: Replies should be directed to support at thornsoft.com or
sales at thornsoft.com Replies sent directly to the list server will be
lost. To change your subscription information, visit
http://www.thornsoft.com/listserv.htm