[finders] The Long Tail

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Mon Jul 17 09:00:32 EDT 2006

July 17, 2006: The Long Tail

http://www.findability.org/archives/000125.php

I just ordered a copy of The Long Tail by Chris Anderson. I figured I should
read it, since it's all about findability.

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Chris:

"In the book, I go all the way back to 1896 and the Sears, Roebuck catalog.
The radical technology then was the railroad, which was supposed to bring
Amazon-size variety to the Kansas prairie. Which must have seemed amazing
back then. Cable TV, digital TV -- that brought an explosion of choice to
television. A key one clearly was Amazon.com, where they offer practically
everything. And it's not just about a massive increase in variety; it's also
about a massive increase in findability. In a physical store, it's often
hard to find obscure products, if they're even there. The ability to search
on the Web lets us find the variety."

Sound interesting? Time to buy your copy. And, to qualify for Free Super
Saver Shipping, grab one of these similar books too. Long live the long
tail!