[finders] What's New in the Third Edition

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Fri Oct 6 08:49:56 EDT 2006

October 6, 2006: What's New in the Third Edition

http://www.findability.org/archives/000134.php

Lou and I have received a few questions recently from faculty hoping to use
the 3rd edition of Information Architecture for the World Wide Web in their
Winter 2007 courses. Well, we have good news. According to O'Reilly, the new
polar bear will be available by the end of the year.

And, to help with course planning, here's an excerpt describing what's new:

"We've maintained the overall organization of the book while bringing the
concepts, examples, and illustrations in each chapter up to date. We
received substantial help from the information architecture community in the
form of responses to a series of surveys we conducted in 2006. The chapters
on organization and navigation systems have been expanded to address
tagging, folksonomies, social classification, and guided navigation. The
chapter on design and documentation includes new sections on the role of
diagrams in the design phase and the when, why, and how behind blueprints
and wireframes. The education and the tools and software chapters have been
revised based upon survey feedback. And, the chapter on enterprise
information architecture enjoyed a major rewrite to accommodate lessons
learned over the past few years. Finally, we've updated the appendix to
include pointers to the most useful information architecture resources
available today."

This edition was a real collaborative effort. Thanks to everyone who helped!