[finders] Destroyed by Google

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Tue Sep 26 09:32:38 EDT 2006

September 26, 2006: Destroyed by Google

http://www.findability.org/archives/000133.php

The lemur found its way into Bruce Sterling's New Scientist story:

"And Shakespeare. I used to hate Shakespeare, because the teachers would
park us in front of the webcam terminals, turn on the Shakespeare lessons
and leave the building. But then, somehow, they showed us Macbeth, a play
which actually MEANS something to us. Grown-ups don't understand that (or
they wouldn't be teaching it) but Macbeth is the true authentic story of my
generation. This is Macbeth's world, and us teenagers just live in it. Dig
this: those "Three Weird Sisters", who mysteriously know everything? They
can foretell anything, instantly, like Google? Plus, the witches make it all
sound really great - only, in real life, it totally sucks? Well, those
"Three Weird Sisters" are the "Internet of Things", they're "Ubiquitous
Computation", they're "Ambient Findability". The truth is written all over
the page (or the screen - my school can't afford to give us any "pages").
Just read that awesome part where they're boiling pseudocode in their
witch-cauldron! They talk like web designers!"

Strange Connections

Going Beyond Google. As I long time fan of Endeca, I enjoyed this Fortune
article about their success and future plans.

On the Road. I'm headed to Louisville for the Kentucky Library Association's
annual conference, and then off to Berlin for Euro IA. I'm looking forward
to meeting some old friends at the reception on Friday evening.