[finders] Mountain Biking on eBay

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Tue Jul 17 15:46:12 EDT 2007

July 17, 2007: Mountain Biking on eBay

http://www.findability.org/archives/000177.php

Last month I had lunch with user experience managers at eBay. We discussed
the challenges of designing a marketplace in which buyers and sellers game
the system. For example, sellers have learned to increase sales by
misclassifying individual components as complete systems. They know that
users who search for mountain bikes may also buy accessories they don't know
they want or need. And, while the resulting clutter can be frustrating,
hardcore buyers enjoy the thrill of the hunt that eBay affords. They don't
want the search to be easy.

This resonates with my latest passion: singletrack mountain biking. I don't
love riding the Poto despite the fierce climbs and descents, the deadly
rocks and roots, and the treacherous sand and mud. I love the experience
precisely because of the danger and difficulty. It's fun because it's hard
(and beautiful).

I suspect that's why the smart folks I've met at eBay love their work.
They're dealing with amazingly complex user experience design challenges
that quite simply make your head hurt. Sounds like fun!

Strange Connections

* Genius Freeman Dyson reframes green technology in our biotech future.

* Latanya Sweeney on the false dichotomy between privacy and security.

* I was recently interviewed by Richard Wallis on Talking with Talis.