[finders] First Marathon

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Mon Oct 19 11:10:48 EDT 2009

October 19, 2009: First Marathon

http://www.findability.org/archives/000240.php

I turned 40 this year. I didn't buy a sports car. Instead, I ran my first
marathon. The race was yesterday. We ran across bridges and borders and
through the streets of Detroit cheered on by great friends and perfect
strangers. I'm happy with my results. At 3:08:53, I qualified for Boston and
showed all those young whippersnappers that us old folks still got game.

So, before the experience fades into memory, I'd like to record a few
insights. First, the marathon challenges the mind, not just the body. And,
I'm not talking only about grit, determination, and pacing strategy.
Selecting a training program is critical. I found the run less, run faster
system of FIRST (and my Forerunner 305) to be a perfect fit. Diet also
counts, and in this I adhered to the mantra: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly
plants.

Second, the marathon is emotional. An injury or mishap at any moment during
training or in the race can end the quest. Fear and loneliness coexist with
hope and exhilaration. But, if you're lucky, you're not alone. I am truly
humbled by the unexpected outpouring of support I received from friends and
family.

Along the way, I also drew strength from several sources of inspiration:

* Once a Runner
* The Runner's Literary Companion
* Saint Ralph
* Flora London Marathon
* Boston Marathon Inspiration

I'm not sure if I'll run another. Right now, I'm ready to shift focus: less
jogging, more blogging. But, I'm so happy that I had the chance to do it
once. Thanks to everyone who made the Detroit Marathon such an amazing
experience!