[finders] Cross-Channel Strategy

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Fri Sep 16 07:03:30 EDT 2011

September 16, 2011

http://findability.org/archives/000652.php

At UserFocus 2011 I'm delivering a keynote (slides here) that features a new illustration I call the cross-channel crystal. The crystal is intended to catalyze conversation around the formulation of cross-channel strategy.

Here is a brief explanation of each facet:

* Composition. The mix of platforms, devices, and media (and the features of each). Is the service multi-channel or cross-channel?

* Consistency. Symmetry of brand, features, organization, and interaction must be balanced against platform-specific optimization.

* Connection. Bridges across channels (e.g., links, tags, addresses, barcodes, signs, maps) must be visible at the point of need.

* Continuity. Apps should maintain state so users can flow between devices while reading books, watching movies, shopping, etc.

* Context. How will time, location, device constraints, and personal or social context impact use cases and user psychology and behavior?

* Conflict. To address channel conflict and free riding, we may need to realign incentives, metrics, the business model, and the org chart.

Of course, this crystal is but a diamond in the rough, so please send your feedback. What's unclear or unnecessary, and what am I missing? Thanks!