[finders] The Last Ironman

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Tue Sep 11 11:06:53 EDT 2012

September 11, 2012

http://findability.org/archives/000660.php

On Saturday, I successfully completed my first (and last) Ironman 70.3. It was an amazing experience: a well-organized event, perfect weather, and my wonderful family to cheer me over the finish. But I'll never do it again.

It's not that the triathlon itself was difficult. In fact, after all the pre-race worry, it was fun to swim, bike, and run. I simply don't want to put that much time and energy into training. So, after a decade of upping from 5k to 10 mile, half-marathon, marathon, olympic triathlon, and half-ironman, I'm done. I've climbed my highest mountain. I'm ready to downshift. To pass the time, I'll do something easy. For instance, I may write another book...

Strange Connections

Early in my training, after a nasty bike injury, I nearly quit. I found the inspiration to go on from several sources including this book and video.

I've joined the advisory council of SJSU SLIS and am looking forward to their upcoming (free) virtual conference, Library 2.012, in early October.

Tomorrow, I'm bound for Glacier National Park to witness some glaciersbefore they disappear. And yes, I may even climb some mountains.