[finders] Intertwingled: The Book

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Fri Jun 7 12:33:47 EDT 2013

June 7, 2013

http://findability.org/archives/000666.php

Whether it's a marathon, a mountain, or a massive IA challenge, I'm always at my best while on a quest. So, I've decided to write a book. Again.

This book -- Intertwingled -- is about designing information systems, and understanding the nature of information in systems. It's about strange loops and invisible links at the crossroads of information architecture and systems thinking. It's about the complex relationship between strategy and structure.

In my work, conversations about a new feature or better interface offer rich lessons in connectedness. How will it work on mobile? Will this fly in our CMS? What about SEO? Who is responsible? How do we measure success?

When Ted Nelson wrote in 1974 that "everything is deeply intertwingled" he was inspired by hypertext and the non-sequential structure of ideas. I hope to build from there by following the links all the way from code to culture.

Writing about the intertwingling of pace layers will not be easy, and to make things even harder, I've decided to self-publish this book. I have nothing but good things to say about O'Reilly Media. I simply want to try something new.

The book will be published in print and digital formats in 2014. I make this public commitment trusting that you will hold my feet to the fire. Writing is a lonely quest, but I know I won't be alone. On the journey, I will seek out my collaborators. Eventually, hopefully, happily, I will find my readers.

Until then, I must rely upon my passion and perseverance, and upon your engagement and encouragement. So, if you have a question or a suggestion or a kind word, now would be a great time to let me know. Thanks!