[game_preservation] support

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Thu Sep 30 08:41:58 EDT 2004

Allen R Partridge wrote:

> Anybody got any clues on what
> if any sort of waivers / permissions we need to move ahead gathering
> images / sounds / what about code?

IANAL, but I could swear that the USA's Digital Millenium Copyright Act
had something in it about being able to emulate or archive works whose
playback machines are now defunct, meaning they're not manufactured
anymore or not generally available or whatnot.  Some Googling would
probably reveal it, I'm too lazy at 5:30 AM to do so.  :-)

Also remember that if there's no company around anymore to sue you, it
doesn't matter if you offend.  Just be sure of whether the rights have
reverted back to some original author though.  Even then though,
consider who can catch up to you in practice.  Hey, I'm only telling it
like the son of a former corporate lawyer.  :-)  It's not just what the
law is, it's what people can do.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.