[game_preservation] another intro

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Thu Sep 30 18:57:12 EDT 2004

Hi, I'm Brandon Van Every.  Struggling 4X TBS game designer.  Dot.com
casualty.  Voter registrar / signature gatherer by day.  Technology
pundit by night... or is it day?  Good with a fist, stick, or foot.
Also pen, pencil, and brush.  But not yet tablet, or website.  Decent
with word.  Sharp with debate.  Seasonal IGF judge (2005 Round 1 started
today!)  Erstwhile comp.games.development.* abuser, now a recluse.
Lightly loaded co-moderator of
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gamedesign-l/.  Nebula Device 3D
engine advocate.  http://nebuladevice.cubik.org.  Thorn in the side of
multiple open source communities that don't care about Windows,
marketing, or commercial game development.  Foolish learner.  Adept at
avoiding code, and signature gathering, in favor of strategic planning.
:-)

Somehow I feel I should add 'Hobbit slayer, bridge porker' to the above
list.  But it wouldn't be remotely true.  Let's just say I watched The
Lord Of The Rings one too many times, in various guises, to alleviate
project stress.  And I love "Miyazaki's Spirited Away."

Aside from sentiments Nathan expressed, I have megalomanical ambitions
to archive my own would-be games for thousands of years.  You think I'm
kidding.  The PC industry is disposable and that sucks.  Come the
digital age, film doesn't have nearly this difficulty.  I hope that
within 30 years' time, a mathematically rigorous notion of 'Permanent
Computing' is possible.  Right now, gotta work with what we've got, and
what we've had.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur