[game_preservation] Kickstarting the IGDA Preservation SIG

Kieron Wilkinson preservation_sig at igda.org
Wed Oct 19 18:36:46 EDT 2005

Ryan Seney wrote:

> Kieron,

> Can you elaborate on projects some? Are you referring to things like

> MAME, or like a project to create an exhibit at a local library or

> museum? Or both?

I think generally we want to keep the SIG as inclusive as possible, and
certainly both of these types of projects are suitable in my mind, as is
anything that furthers preservation. I think the main pursuit of the SIG
is to support any effort that improves the state of preservation of
games, be that physical or digital. Indeed, legally you need both anyway.

Awareness is key. If we can sell the idea of game preservation to
people, all projects associated will (hopefully!) reap the benefits of
the higher exposure.

Of course, there are many directions I want to take this, as detailed in
the article. I'm sure we can hammer out futher details as we go, but
these ideas are the basic starting point.

> I'm only a student, but I'm highly interested in preserving older games,

> and I'll try to help when I can. One who doesn't know the past is only

> bound to repeat it, or so they say.

Indeed :) Well you are perfectly welcome to help out. I have a feeling
there is going to be quite a bit of work to be done, so I think we need
all the help we can get.

--
Kieron Wilkinson
Preservation SIG