[game_preservation] Library of Congress Wants to Preserve Video Game Culture

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu May 4 12:46:08 EDT 2006

Hi Andreas,

No, the initiative came directly from Library of Congress, Office of
Strategic Initiatives.

Henry

At 03:34 AM 5/4/2006, Andreas Lange wrote:

>Thanks, Jason, for the interesting news. I expect that it will not

>last very soon and we will see similar activities here in europe.

>i have one short question: the report starts with:

>"A recent Library of Congress strategy meeting with leading

>producers of commercial content in digital formats has revealed that

>creators of television, radio, music, film, photography, pictorial

>art and video games are keenly interested in the preservation of

>their digital materials for archival and other purposes."

>does that mean, that the initiative comes from the content industry?

>and i also wonder if anyone of the game business attended the meeting?

>best wishes and thanks,

>andreas

>Jason Della Rocca schrieb:

>>Hi all,

>>Everyone awake ;)

>>Here's some interesting news:

>>http://gamepolitics.livejournal.com/278156.html

>>http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2006/06-096.html

>>Has anyone here been in the loop?

>>Seems like a nice hook/excuse for the SIG to get active, potential

>>serve as the voice of game developers in these discussions...

>>Jason

>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>Jason Della Rocca

>>Executive Director

>>International Game Developers Association

>>t: +1-514-426-1162

>>f: +1-514-426-1201

>>Montreal, Canada

>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>>http://www.igda.org/

>>http://www.realitypanic.com/

>>"Do or do not. There is no try."

>>- Yoda

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections
Curator for Germanic Collections; Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004