[game_preservation] PhD - Preservation of Computer Games, Loughborough University

Melanie Swalwell Melanie.Swalwell at vuw.ac.nz
Wed Feb 21 22:25:09 EST 2007

Hi all,

This reached me by a long and circuitous route, so I don't know any further details (but it looks like it closes tomorrow). No doubt some of you are on the Digital Preservation list from which it came.

As your friendly list-moderator though, I was wondering a couple of things. Do we have anyone on this list who knows more/can speak to this? Is the studentship part of an established/emerging research programme at Loughborough, on digital preservation? Are there other game preservation initiatives happening there, or is this an emergent research direction? (If so, its great to see.) What about at other UK/European universities? I'm asking partly out of self-interest, because I'm heading to the UK and Europe from next month, and partly because I'm keen to know what other university teams are working in the software preservation area, as opposed to digital preservation more generally.

To follow on:
This division between software preservation and digital preservation, while not entirely arbitrary, is also one I wonder about. Am I correct in perceiving a separation? I have been musing on this for a while now, wondering whether there is not a broadening of digital preservation endeavours happening at present, to include software preservation? My perception is that this could be the case, though I'm aware I am not in a very expert position to make this call.

I'm wondering what other people think? Are these two areas of interest and activity coming closer together? Is it already happening? Or is it yet to happen?

It seems like there are lots of groups who look at many similar issues - eg. librarians, archivists, museum people, variable media art ppl, historians of technology, people specifically concerned with games preservation (us). I see stacks of calls for papers, conferences, seminars etc dealing with preservation issues from these other angles, and I often think games_pres people would have a lot to offer, and probably lots to learn from these other approaches too. Maybe this is naive on my part and these groups don't have much to say to each other, being far too busy with their own areas of responsibility. I'd like to think this isn't so.

Interested to hear peoples' thoughts on this. Do you think it makes sense to create links with other digital preservation efforts? Have such groups shown interest in game or software preservation in the past? If not, why not? Are they just (still) putting software preservation in the "too hard" basket? - as has been said to me on a number of occasions, "we want to learn to walk before we try to run". Where are the opportunities for such linkages/coalitions?

Melanie