[game_preservation] Preservation SIG questions + helping out

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Jul 30 13:25:07 EDT 2007

Hey anyone who is in the Game Preservation SIG,

I joined up after seeing the Gamasutra Civilisation article, and
cleaning up some bits on the IGDA wiki to do with the project.

Since I am a student currently, I think I could lend some support (at
least administratively) to helping the Preservation SIG. I'm not old
enough to be there at the beginning of history, and actually think its
vitally important to retain what happened before I was born, even though
I have not played most of the things from the time.

Basically I'd love to help, but first maybe someone can answer these
questions so I know how I can help! These are some of the things I've
thought about:

* Are things like the Classic Gaming Expo important? Should they be kept
track of, at least for informative reasons? What sorts of Game
Preservation things happen at conferences/talks, are there any?

* How is the Digital Game Canon project going? how does it work/what are
its aims? Can I help?
o Are these some useful things to do: Collect interviews, sources of
information and game information for the digital game canon, and other
games that need preserving, on the IGDA wiki.
o And: Link to a variety of sites and articles (gamasutra has some,
others do) on old games / companies / history.

* Is the SIG's aim *just software?* What about manuals, box physical
CDs/extras (or at least pictures of them), music and soundtracks, game
reviews/game magazines, advertising media (posters, trailers, interviews)?

* On that note, apart from the Digital Game Canon, I can't find a good
list of things going on anywhere. Are there any? Who can I help, or what
can I help with? Is preservation just on "preserving games" or the media
as a whole (advertising, news articles, etc)? Is it just to help
archiving organisations (of which I don't know too many exist), or more
involved and historically "gathering information"? What is historically
important to the SIG anyway?

* Can I update the IGDA wiki and fix some of the old broken links and
research some of the new physical archive locations?

* Why has the archive.org DMCA exception not been updated? -
http://www.archive.org/about/dmca.php

* Is there any major research into game preservation research and news?
Can the wiki be a bit more informative if so? (I can look into this)
since the area has not been as researched as well as film and TV.
Research on copyright and IP might be relevant (especially length of
such things), and I don't see any information available there.

* Does anyone know what government agencies or media organisations
preserve film, tv, books, etc. and see what they might be doing about
games in the future, if they don't preserve them already?
These are related, probably rhetorical "you can research" ones :)
o what laws, regulations and permissions do these organisations
have? DMCA is a problem in America, but what about elsewhere?
o What use is keeping a game preserved if no one is able to at least
buy it or play it somehow? - How does preservation work for film and TV?
Is hardware stored, or virtual machines created?
o What help does the archive organisations get from companies?

* Is anyone seeing what game companies keep archives of media, history
or other information? Some might have vaults of the stuff (at least
publishers might).

Whew, sorry about that, quick answers are fine I'll always ask again if
I am confused. Was thinking of this stuff last night actually when I was
reading Wired Classic Gaming Expo reports, so wrote a lot down.

Also, I am more then willing to investigate more in the UK directly, on
behalf of the SIG, if I need to actually physically go anywhere (out of
the country I can't do at the moment however) since the UK has some
people who are important to gaming history. I will at least update the
IGDA wiki if no one objects.

Feel free to email me directly if anyone wants. I'd have posted in the
forums, but they are pretty dead.

Thanks,

Andrew Armstrong