[game_preservation] The world's most expensive videogames

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 7 13:10:16 EDT 2008

Well, not to be snarky, but Spacewar! is more expensive than any of
them. I mean, if you want a working copy. And yes there is a copy
that works -- Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California.

(Somewhat tongue-in-cheek.)

The article was interesting, in that some of these games are in the
price range of rare books. Not truly high-end rare books, but many,
say, history of science books with 18th-century imprints. These
books are less rare than the carts seem to be, so the pricing seems
for the most part to be driven by rarity, rather than a perception of
some other kind of value (artistic, scholarly, etc.)

Henry

At 07:09 PM 4/5/2008, Captain Commando wrote:

>Here is an article I discovered while doing unrelated research. It

>is the ten most expensive videogames in the world. Well, I should

>say the ten that people will let you know about as there are plenty

>more betas and one-of-a-kinds that nobody outside the most serious

>of the serious collectors has heard about. Interesting article nonetheless!

><http://www.gamesniped.com/2007/11/08/worlds-most-expensive-video-games/>http://www.gamesniped.com/2007/11/08/worlds-most-expensive-video-games/

>-DM

>--

>The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

>"Until next time..."

>Captain Commando

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004